Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muffler bypass 4 + incorporated 'muffler' (little long again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default muffler bypass 4 + incorporated 'muffler' (little long again)

This is my 4th set of diy muffler bypasses, what's new is that I've incorporated a 'muffler' in the bypass. I need to do a little explaining...
I liked the sound of the bypasses I made previously, they worked well with stock cats. When I changed to bigger sport/race cats, thought things were a little loud for me and put on a set of Roock 450 mufflers (modified stock mufflers I believe). The sound was just about right. I've been on a weight loss mode this winter as many of you here know and wanted to shed the weight of the mufflers. I've always wished I could incorporate some sort of muffler or resonator in the bypasses but there really is not much length/space between the end of the heat exchanger output and exhaust tip. Thought about making some elaborate tubing with a resonator where the stock muffler sits but that would involve quite a bit of pipe and multiple bends. Did some reading on how mufflers work too (learned about expansion chambers/resonators/baffles)... Was staring at the space I had to work with after taking the mufflers off and all of a sudden it dawned on me that if I could fit a pipe on the outer diameter of the heat exchanger it self (not the 2.5" outlet / leaving the 2.5" outlet alone - see pics towards the end) I could get some space/"expansion chamber". Learned from some trials that baffles on the outer edge of the exhaust flow seemed to decreased the higher tones and baffles in the center seemed to decrease the lower tones.

So this is what I've come up with. Found that 3.5" ID pipe fits right on the heat exchanger (the large part, right over the 2.5" outlet - see pic 4). Found some 3.5" pipe with a 3.5" radius 90 bend fit perfectly! Made some baffles with smaller dia pipe bent as shown. Got to play with my stick welder. Painted black using high temp header paint (used my barbeque as my bake oven - worked well and didn't have to try to convince my wife to let me use her household oven).

It sounds not too bad. Deeper/throatier than the 'motor boat' sound of regular bypasses. I could post a vid with sound that I made on my mac if someone can tell me how.

Stock muffler + misc parts = 20.5lbs x2
Muffler bypass/incorporated "muffler" = 3.5 lbs x2
total savings = 34 lbs
Attached Images         

Last edited by Basal Skull; 12-30-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Have you made any cat bypasses?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:13 PM
d-land
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks tough!

-David
Old 12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

brilliant can you make me a set?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Quadcammer - Nope, never made any cat bypasses...

David - It does look kinda mean (sounds mean too!)

sfbanches - too bad you're not local and I'd help you make one yourself. I think I spent under $100 in parts. The two 3.5" OD 90 degree 3.5" radius elbows (you can see the part number on some of the pics, the 3.5" radius bend is the key), a 3.5" OD to 3.5" OD connecter (6" long) that I cut in half exactly in the middle of the little bulge so that there's a little of a flare for the tips, a 3" ID connector that I cut up to make the 'baffles', and a couple of T-bolt clamps. Have to look around a little for the 3.5" material as most muffler/parts places don't keep exhaust pipe that big in stock.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:51 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty cool. Nothing like doing it yourself.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:58 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not restrictive?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Not restrictive?
Hi
must be a little more restrictive than using a 3.5" pipe with nothing in it, but looking at the amount of surface area that is altered by the 'baffles', I don't think there is any more restriction cf 2.5" pipe/regular bypass. It is also short and has fewer corners than the alternative I was thinking of with 2.5" pipe and a resonator where the regular muffler is. So it does what I want it to do. I have no way of checking flow/psi loss across it though.

Best part is just thinking up this stuff and making it work.

Quick Reply: muffler bypass 4 + incorporated 'muffler' (little long again)