Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overdue new owner post (here's waldo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
rednoble
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overdue new owner post (here's waldo)

Hi all, sorry its taken me so long to post but here are some pics of waldo in Colorado. My garage now consists of the noble and the 993tt which is my 'responsible family car'. Some are w/ my brothers 996tt and my sister's husband's cayman s. For previous owners, does anyone know when the car had protomotive tuning installed and what boost it should run on the k16/24 hybrids at altitude? I've done a full pressure check etc and it peaks at about 11psi.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Nice, looks like you guys all have a family affair with porsche's
Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
rednoble
Advanced

yep, now we do! my dad also bought a noble after he drove mine, i find both equally addictive oh, and lots of thanks to wagontoya for his mid-purchase advice!

Last edited by rednoble; 12-08-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:13 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The return of Waldo... cool.

I almost went North to buy that car a while back.
Steve should have some good info for you on it's history.

Congratulations!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I changed a LR tire on it at Buttonwillow once -- Great car!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rednoble,

I DO have quite a bit of info on the history of Waldo... I owned him from 2002 until 2006 (approx). You will see that Waldo is turbo #90 from the VIN, with a build date of 3/95. This is a VERY Early build, and I believe it was the first 993TT in the USA. It was owned for the first year by PCNA, and I believe that Waldo did the Auto Show circuit to introduce the TT to the USA audience. Waldo got his name, BTW from my daughter who noticed that he seemed to appear somewhere in every one of my photos. I have some great photos of him if you are interested. My direct email is ca993twin@yahoo.com.

Welcome aboard.

Steve
Old 12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,792 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Cool to see it come back. When I joined the board in 06, Steve had already acquired Rufus but Waldo was put up for sale again in 07 IIRC by the subsequent owner in WA. I was tempted but hesitated and the car sold to someone else. Congrats and welcome.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I HAVE to see it. Where are you located?

I had a nice looking 993TT in Arena
Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

A Noble M12... WOW - that must be a thrill to drive. Would love to se some more pictures / details / perspective...

Oh, nice 993tt too.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I changed a LR tire on it at Buttonwillow once -- Great car!
I provided the muffler bypass pipes
Old 12-10-2009, 01:39 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Jason, you should have no problem making 15psi with those turbos at 5000 feet...I would be weary of the functionality of the boost controller and/or the wastegate lines. Does the boost vary at all when you change the settings on your boost controller? What's the cracking pressure of the wastegates? Are the pressures identical? Have you checked your turbo's compressor wheels for damage and/of shaft play (thrust bearing wear)? Have you checked the condition of your intake piping into the compressors and also running up to the intercooler? They could be getting blocked (even if they are not leaking). So many variables to work with here, it helps to start at either the beginning or the end and work your way in the opposite direction. Since your ECU isn't controlling the maximum boost levels I wouldn't include it in the troubleshooting search list at this time.

Feel free to call me if you wanna chat bud...good luck and beautiful turbo!!!

-Matt
Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Waldo's traded hand between rennlisters, and if Steve had it in 2006, then I believe iborroel for a couple of years. I don't remember a protomotive tune or hybrids being posted so those turbo's can't have much miles on them. I assume there is a high and low boost setting. I don't think there's much difference in boost between altitude and sea level (that's why turbo cars perform well at altitude?), 11 psi sounds like stock boost. Would think it should get 1 bar or about 15 psi as Matt says.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM
rednoble
Advanced

thanks for the info guys! I guess its an oddity that I have a protomotive tune without an external boost controller. I had a cracked inlet pipe replaced so the system pressure checks fine and there are no obvious blockages. I fiddled w/ the wastegates (two turns clockwise) and it seemd to have little effect. I guess the next step is checking the turbo themselves and/or adding manual boost control?

on the noble front, mine is a m12 gto 3r w/ a 3.0L mondeo block and two gt25 turbos. i've modified the fueling, exhaust, intercooler, added oil cooling, change some plumbing and done software and it puts out about 400whp at altitude weighing about 2400lbs wet. its dynamically also just brilliant, truly a car to drive if you've never had an opportunity. here's clarkson's review of the 2.5L version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pv_N...om=PL&index=29
Old 12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rednoble
thanks for the info guys! I guess its an oddity that I have a protomotive tune without an external boost controller. I had a cracked inlet pipe replaced so the system pressure checks fine and there are no obvious blockages. I fiddled w/ the wastegates (two turns clockwise) and it seemd to have little effect. I guess the next step is checking the turbo themselves and/or adding manual boost control?
You don't have an manual/electronic boost controller? I was unaware that any protomotive software was modulating boost via wastegate frequency valve? Am I mistaken?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:57 PM
rednoble
Advanced

not unless i'm missing something very obvious i don't see a servo/valve or anything in the lines to the wastegates so....?

Quick Reply: overdue new owner post (here's waldo)