The quest for 520hp: Cargraphic / RS-Tuning / RUF

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009 | 03:14 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As per Bill's post #83 do show K16 based hybrids.
Old 11-15-2009 | 04:19 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Now on the same day, same car the factory 450 Motorsports ECU made 409HP and 461.8Nm
With which turbos?
Old 11-15-2009 | 11:49 AM
V
Rennlist Member

First of all wow, give it a couple of days and there's another page added to the discussion, is this place great or what?

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Viggo,

AFAIK, Ruf no longer has any CTR-2 bumpers, front or rear in their inventory, and have no plans to build more. Scott Shepley (Bradford) may be your only hope, and I think he retired from the Ruf bumper biz... taking too much time for the small financial return. Perhaps you can do some arm twisting? You may need to speak directly with his wife!

Be aware that the RUF CTR-2 rear bumpers were available with both center exhaust or normal side outlets. Scott has molds for both. Also... the Ruf bumpers are a bit "longer" than the standard turbo bumper, and require slightly longer (1"???) exhaust tips.

If you go with a Ruf Turbo R package, you may wish to become a "Rufaholic" and put only Ruf stuff on your car. Those Ruf (non-modular) wheels may be heavy, but damn... they kinda make the Ruf a Ruf.

Anyway, best of luck. This is nothing but fun.
Steve, you are right. CTR-2 bumpers are no longer available outright from RUF. I know of an original rear bumper cover but I need the front (perhaps more than the rear). I was referring to "Bradford" earlier in this thread and my understanding is (eventhough it was never written in print) that he stopped making them because of copyright issues.. I might be wrong though (I sure hope so). Before pulling a leg or "twisting an arm" as you call it, I want to make sure I have done all I can to locate a bumper elsewhere. If it's my last option I will do it, but I'd prefer to leave an RLer unharmed . Besides, since the TurboR upgrade is a bit over my intended budget, ut will be putting all other upgrades off for the time being. Next winter..

I also have the NB OEM big ovals which extend about an inch further than the OEM TT big ovals, so they might come in handy..

Originally Posted by pjconner
My Turbo R's dyno sheet shows 520 hp. It was converted at RUF Germany in 2001. Since my car started as a C4S, it received at brand new crated 993TT engine - then converted. So no need for rebuilt top end etc.

Good decision with the RUF. And you can add the other RUF stuff later. I have enjoyed adding wheels, steering wheel, pedals, sills, shifter, etc.
Patrick, wonderful car you have there buddy. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the power delivery of the TurboR. Are you looking to add the RUF bumpers somewhere down the line?

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I respect your choice of the Ruf turbo R conversion which has many benefits including (thanks to Ruf's main strength IMO - marketing) the resale and means you can have the fun of adding on all the nice Ruf 993 stuff, however.......

Ruf stopped developing the 993 engine with LAT's CTR2 and the Beddor one being the highest "tune" Ruf managed with this platform. In contrast as we know RS Tuning developed the world's most potent 993tt based race engines which were and are campaigned on race tracks all over Europe. The spin offs from the racing are many and whilst Ruf 993 technology development effectively stopped in ~1997 RS Tuning continued.

One interesting example of this which LAT shared with me (please correct me if the information is inaccurate) is when he was having his ~580PS CTR engine developed, there was a problem in fitting the latest (circa ~2003) larger 100 cell cat units in the specific CTR exhaust which was developed around the 100 cell units which were state of the art in ~'97.

Components which RS Tuning developed through the 993 racing program which I can recall:
Twin plug which works 100% effectively with Motronic M5.2
!00% leak proof head sealing allowing enough boost for ~800+NM torque
Secan intercoolers
Thin stem valves for improved cylinder filling
996tt K24 turbos for 993 application
many variations of camshafts

With the above in mind I took the liberty of asking RS if they did any Ruf turbo R 490 style tunes in the last 10 years - On ecan see the 475PS K16 tune on the CG website but it is possible they went further. I recall in the day in '97 RS thought that the Ruf 490 needed proper head sealing and I remember them telling me there were many leakage issues on Ruf 490s in Germany - this may have stopped them from going this far with a bolt on package without addressing the head sealing issues which they were very aware of.....

I will obviously report back if anything transpires
Toby it's an interesting question you are bringing to the table. However, haven thought this over once and twice and thrice, my conclusion is that this will not be a track car but rather a weekend toy seeing occational track use. With that in mind it will never be a monster and therefore I think all-in-all, the very driveable TurboR upgrade is my best bet at this point. It's pricey but it comes with a warranty, my engine gets a serious overhaul and I will have resale value to boot. Had I opted for a track car, I would have gone the RS-Tuning/Kevin special turbos/Martyn route no doubt.

Eventhough not mentioned thoroughly in this thread, one another option from the beginning was to have the tuning done by Harry Weishaupt of SHK-racetec. They have done some pretty impressive builds in the past with decent value, to my knowledge. Unfortunately, Mr.Weishaupt passed away earlier this year in a fatal front collision with his smart car on autobahn. It also turns out one of my friends in the porsche community has great connections with Mr.Schmirler of RS-tuning so that would have been a good opportunity as well.

My understanding is that RUF provides a dyno sheet upon collection day with each TurboR conversion, so that will be very interesting to see . It would be very good to know whether the development of the turboR kit stopped in 1997 period, or if they have done anything to improve on the kit since. After all, with the advancement in technology we are seeing today, 12years is a loong time.

Originally Posted by LAT
TB993tt is correct concerning my Ruf CTR-2 and Ruf, they no longer support or develop the 993tt but will sell and install kits.

He also one of the most knowledgeable on developing high HP from a 993tt on this board, he has learned the hard way, by paying for it.

Very true LAT. I have the utmost respect for Toby and I understand that he knows pretty much all you need to know as far as tweaking 993TTs. Great asset to have here on RL and a great contributor to this thread as well. Just want to once again thank a few listers for providing the kind of information and feedback that led up to my decision. Toby, LAT, bb993tt, Kevin, MOD500 and others. I'm sure I forgot someone .

Hopefully this thread will also prove as a guideline for other listers who wants more power to their TTs. Always good to have all the options on the table when facing a decision like this.

Old 11-15-2009 | 12:12 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Greg in all fairness the UMW Stage 2 cranked out 461.8HP and 591.2Nm on the 4wd Maha dyno

Now on the same day, same car the factory 450 Motorsports ECU made 409HP and 461.8Nm
Kevin, are these wheel horsepower or flywheel horsepower numbers?
Old 11-15-2009 | 12:39 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Vhanzon,

I may add the RUF bumpers some day. Since no on makes them anymore, that is difficult to do. And I am in no hurry as I really like it the way that it is. But never say never...
Old 11-15-2009 | 12:47 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

So does anyone know about the FVD Kits? Their stage 3 powerkit is on sale here in the US for $14,000 and includes K24 "race" turbos, sport camshafts, mechanical rocker arm kit, DME. With the use of sport cats they claim 525 hp and 720 nm.

Greg H.
Old 11-15-2009 | 01:01 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Kevin's Stage 2 turbos, which are bigger than the Rufs AFAIK, with 100 cell cats only makes 460 hp. To get to 520, those must be some pretty special Ruf cams. Seriously, I don't understand. RS, CG, and FVD all need K24s and aggressive cams to get to 520.

Greg H.
My UMW stage 2 on a fresh engine acheived a best 60-130 time of 9.6 seconds running with very low fuel and no passenger seat. Bill S has reported 9.1 from his Ruf-engined car and MOD500 8.7 from his RS Tuning-engined car.
Old 11-15-2009 | 02:09 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phelix
My UMW stage 2 on a fresh engine acheived a best 60-130 time of 9.6 seconds running with very low fuel and no passenger seat. Bill S has reported 9.1 from his Ruf-engined car and MOD500 8.7 from his RS Tuning-engined car.
Yes, 60 to 130 (GPS on flat surface) is really the only way to compare these cars... too many variables when quoting HP.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2009 | 02:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

From memory Felix ran his 60-130 with Euro-Ron 95 which is equal to 91 US Ron+Mon/2
Bill S mentioned that his car always runs 100 Ron+Mon/2.. Martin, MOD500 was running 102 Euro-Ron or greater.. Knock retard will pull out timing in 3 degree increments. Between US 91 and 94 Ron+Mon/2 one can see 6 degrees of timing pulled. When running less than 94 octane you will have LESS than "stock" timing in effect
Old 11-15-2009 | 02:14 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

So does anyone know about the FVD Kits? Their stage 3 powerkit is on sale here in the US for $14,000 and includes K24 "race" turbos, sport camshafts, mechanical rocker arm kit, DME. With the use of sport cats they claim 525 hp and 720 nm.

Greg H.
I agree, don't hear much about the FVD kits. A friend had a FVD stage 2 which I thought was significantly faster than my then stock car but have never seen any 'real world' numbers' on those kits. Their stage 4 3.8l is on sale as well (did Jean have one at one point?). Would also be interesting to see what Kevin's stage 3 does.
Old 11-15-2009 | 02:25 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

From memory Felix ran his 60-130 with Euro-Ron 95 which is equal to 91 US Ron+Mon/2
Bill S mentioned that his car always runs 100 Ron+Mon/2.. Martin, MOD500 was running 102 Euro-Ron or greater.. Knock retard will pull out timing in 3 degree increments. Between US 91 and 94 Ron+Mon/2 one can see 6 degrees of timing pulled. When running less than 94 octane you will have LESS than "stock" timing in effect
I guess it would also help to have numbers from multiple cars. A bunch of us have these tunes, we should really try to find the time/place/equipment to get more numbers.
Old 11-15-2009 | 02:40 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

My runs were with Euro 99 so roughly US 94-95.
Old 11-15-2009 | 06:32 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phelix
Based on the data presented in this thread, these seem like very reasonable figures...

Greg H.
With the FVD kits you need to factor in a bunch of things that are not reflected in the end price. Like we said before, it's always a compelte package. With FVD, you pay 20.000usd for the "kit" on their homepage (stage 4 550PS). Then the required catalytic converters are not included. The secondary oil cooler is not included either and the FVD intercooler (mandatory(??)) is also not included in the 20.000usd price. Then if you are going 550PS you need a complete engine overhaul, which is many labour hours. You need to check that the heads are up for the task and most likely you will need new con rods (even with the stage 3 FVD kit). Ok the head thing doesn't apply for stage 4 as you get all the new hardware but you get the point. I have no idea how many labout hours are required to do something like this but it has got to be factured in as well. The effectiveness of the FVD intercooler has been questioned before. It's even doubtful if its any more effective than the stock unit. Going to mechnical rockers means that your engine will be much more track oriented, as the engine needs to be checked frequently (don't recall the mileage intervals). For my application I'd like to stay away from mechnical rockers eventhough the numbers are appealing..

Who develops the FVD kits? Sportec?

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I agree, don't hear much about the FVD kits. A friend had a FVD stage 2 which I thought was significantly faster than my then stock car but have never seen any 'real world' numbers' on those kits. Their stage 4 3.8l is on sale as well (did Jean have one at one point?). Would also be interesting to see what Kevin's stage 3 does.
+1
Old 11-15-2009 | 10:54 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are kind of comparing apples to oranges. FVD's stage 4 is a 3.8L conversion for $20,000 US. Their stage 3 is $14,000 and is probably more in line with what has been discussed on this thread - 525hp. Yes, you need their sport cats and their intercooler to make the rated hp. They do not say anything about con rods for the stage 3 kit. Why would you need con rods for the FVD kit when you do not for the same power from RS, CG or Ruf?

I wonder what the real answer is about con rods anyway? Kevin has refused my requests to add a cam to his stage 2 kit because he feels it would need con rods, yet ruf is doing k16s with a cam and no con rods.

Greg H.
Old 11-15-2009 | 11:50 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Default Rooky

Man, I must be a Rooky 'cause I find the stock power of my new (to me) 993tt awsome compared to my 260Z and at this point can't imagin modifying it....maybe in time.

Quick Reply: The quest for 520hp: Cargraphic / RS-Tuning / RUF