Sponsored by:

Con rod question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Con rod question

I currently have my 993tt engine out as my valve guides need replacing. I don't want to split the case but like the idea of added insurance of stronger rods. I am planning on having the RS Tuning 520ps kit installed eventually, i have everything apart from the turbos and ECU at the moment so will be running it with my K16/24's at about 490bhp as it was before, just until i put some money aside to go up to the K24/26's and the new ECU

I've heard that Carrillo's require the oil pump to be machined which would mean splitting the case. Can someone tell me whether Pauter or Arrow rods fit without any machining needed? Also, for sub 800nm and around 520ps should i just stick with the stock rods but with ARP rod bolts? Any info, input very welcome, thanks.

Another question, i have 993 3.8 RS cams, does anyone know what the timing should be set at for the RS Tuning 520ps kit? I'm having 964 cam sprokets fitted as the 993 ones are friction fit, and it seams the cam timing had slipped, the left bank was different to the right when it was torn down
Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...tion-help.html implies no machining for the Arrow rods.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the Panlk rods do not need any work, they come in titanium as well.
http://www.pankl.com/fileadmin/user_...ine_web_01.pdf
I was led to believe that stock rods are not to be used above 500 hp
Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 PM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by LAT
I believe the Panlk rods do not need any work, they come in titanium as well.
http://www.pankl.com/fileadmin/user_...ine_web_01.pdf
I was led to believe that stock rods are not to be used above 500 hp
Very interesting. Neither RUF nor RS-Tuning upgrades the con-rods in their respective 520hp kits. I have also heard that the con-rods are a limiting factor when you are looking at biiig hp. With these two packages, the stock I/C is retained. I think that has to be the absolute high water mark for the stock I/C and the stock con-rods. 520hp that is. But ofcourse, there are many factors in this equation.

How many extra hours of work would replacing the con-rods require if you are replacing the cams (as a "while you are in there" upgrade)? Might be worth considering..? Then one would also want to balance the crank-shaft with the new rods in place.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I asked this specific question of RUF when my motor was at P'haussen. "Not necessary" was the reply. I've also been told by other members of this board with big hp cars that 520 hp is the cut-off. After that split the case and install the Ti ... and do whatever else "while you're in there".
Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are correct that RUF and RS-Tuning do not change the con-rods on their 520hp kits.
FWIW, I can also tell you that the stock rods on my CTR-2 were stretched and not reusable after 65,000km. Ruf insisted on the Pankl Ti rods for the 580hp when I had them rebuild the engine if I wanted a warranty.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pauter rods don't require any work on the oil pump
Old 10-28-2009, 05:47 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I spoke to Pankl, they don't have an "off the shelf" rod to sell, basically they are made to order at 1000 euros each in steel and 1500 euros each for Ti. That price was a bit punchy for me so i passed on those.
I'm now told that the Arrow rods are better than Carrillo's and they don't foul the oil pump, so i've ordered a set of those.

They come with ARP rod bolts, and i already have Divilar head studs, apart from new o-rings, seals and gaskets is there anything else i should do while it's apart?

http://www.arrowprecision.co.uk/details.php?id=66788

Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by LAT
You are correct that RUF and RS-Tuning do not change the con-rods on their 520hp kits.
FWIW, I can also tell you that the stock rods on my CTR-2 were stretched and not reusable after 65,000km. Ruf insisted on the Pankl Ti rods for the 580hp when I had them rebuild the engine if I wanted a warranty.
LAT, what kind of power was your CTR-2 developing with the stock rods?

I just read up on your old thread (RS-Tuning):

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...details-1.html

AFAIK, you went to great lenghts to increase the already strong RS-Tuning 520hp to 531hp with great TQ figures to boot. I am doing some due diligence at the moment, reading up on CG and RS-Tuning so reading that thread of cours was very interesting. I might start a separate thread on this so feel free to share your experiances with RUF and RS-Tuning.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JBL930
I'm now told that the Arrow rods are better than Carrillo's and they don't foul the oil pump, so i've ordered a set of those.
Jon
Who says the Arrow are "better than" Carrillo ? They may well be better or certainly as good but whose experience are we going off here for the 993tt or 996/7tt application ?
I understood Carrillo was the choise of Porsche MS and all the serious 993GT2 racers for the big engines.....
I'm sure the Arrow will be fine but interested in who says what and what experience they have
Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 308 Likes on 214 Posts

Toby, I install the Arrow rod in 993TT applications. I have purchased>sold> and installed many Carrillo sets. Side by side the Arrow rod is machined better. The finish work is nicer. Now, between the two rods, they Both will work and do the job. But when you get every surface precision ground, chamferred oil holes inside and out I will purchase and recommend the UK manufactured rod. I have had to send back Carrillo rods for imperfections. I also cannot get manufacturing drawing and load specifications from Carrillo.

I will also pay more monies to secure the Arrow rods. Yes, years ago Carrillo was the only choice. Today we have different options.

BTW, I like the laser engraved serial numbers and all the polished honed surfaces.. BTW, today Pankl is Porsche choice for uprated rods..
Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 308 Likes on 214 Posts

I forgot to mention>> One reason to swing in the favor of the Arrow is that you DO NOT have to split the engine case to install the rods. It's really nice to do a engine top end, and replace the rods with piston and liners vs NOT doing upgrading the rods.

And yes, Pauter rods can be a option also, but they aren't even in the same league as the Arrow's..
Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow rods (installed by Kevin):

Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vhanzon
LAT, what kind of power was your CTR-2 developing with the stock rods?

I just read up on your old thread (RS-Tuning):

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...details-1.html

AFAIK, you went to great lenghts to increase the already strong RS-Tuning 520hp to 531hp with great TQ figures to boot. I am doing some due diligence at the moment, reading up on CG and RS-Tuning so reading that thread of cours was very interesting. I might start a separate thread on this so feel free to share your experiances with RUF and RS-Tuning.
The Ruf was originally a 520hp version and I upgraded to 580hp.

The RS Tuning car was originally built as the 531hp version then detuned by remapping to 520hp and a less aggressive torque curve as the then owner found it too much. I had them remap the ECU back to the 531hp 800Nm original specs. I can share that the difference in kick and drive ability is significant.

The difference between RS Tuning and Ruf in my opinion. Both use engine dynoa to verify results.

RS Tuning is a true tuner with a great deal of working knowledge of mapping and assembly and will build what the customer wants and is willing to pay for. I can't comment on their warranty as I never had cause.

Ruf is a manufacturer of cars and packages including packaged maps and does not really offer a lot of variations from the cars or packages. Ruf also stands behind its work, my engine was rebuilt twice at their expense before it came out right.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Jon
Who says the Arrow are "better than" Carrillo ? They may well be better or certainly as good but whose experience are we going off here for the 993tt or 996/7tt application ?
I understood Carrillo was the choise of Porsche MS and all the serious 993GT2 racers for the big engines.....
I'm sure the Arrow will be fine but interested in who says what and what experience they have
Maybe i should have said "probably better"? If they are as good (strength wise) and you have the added benefit of them not interfering with the oil pump, and they are lighter, then surely that would qualify? I should be more careful what i say

Quick Reply: Con rod question