Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken front drop link! Need help! (PSS9/10 related)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken front drop link! Need help! (PSS9/10 related)

Hi guys. Yes I did a search. Spent a few hours reading up on drop links and sway bars. Still learning. Please don't yell at me if the questions are stupid.

I just figured out that my front left drop link (which appears to be home made) is broken. The car handles like crap. Wobbles at anything above 25mph and feels outright dangerous to drive (I just figured this out, I'm not driving it anymore ofcourse). I have PSS9 suspension with ROW TT sway bars (22mm F, 21mmR) and (what appears to be) home made drop links. The car is between RS and ROW sport ride height. Now, I am planning on a re-alignment soon but would like to keep the current alignment as it is for the moment and just fix the broken drop link. Next year I'm planning on improving the suspension platform with GT2 uprights etc and maybe going a bit lower up front. Which leads me to my next step - buying new drop links. Since my car is quite slammed and I plan on going a bit lower up front (RS height), my thought is to buy the RS drop links for the front and replace the broken one (left) and the other side (right) with RS drop links.

1. Will the RS drop links work with my setup?

Even if it doesn't work 100% now, it will do once I lower the car even more. So I might as well put them on there now that I am replacing them, even if they are not optimal right now. As long as they are compatible..?

2. Should I buy RS drop links for the rear now and do them "while I'm in there" or should I just get them now and wait with the install until I upgrade the suspension (evo uprights etc.)?

3. Do I need a new alignment as a result of the broken front left drop link? Or can I just replace the drop link(s) and the car will handle as it did before the drop link snapped?

4. Is the broken drop link (front left) causing the terrible handling (wobble) that I am experiancing or could it be something else?

5. Is it okay to just visually inspect the front sway bar to check that everything is okay and then replace the drop links and drive? No risk of the sway bar being damaged as a result of the snapped left drop link?

I'd like to stick to factory pieces. This was yet another occation when something that was home made broke and it's really irritating. I know RS drop links are optimal to use with RS sways but since the 22mm/21mm ROW TT sways seems to be a good alternative, I'd like to stick with the current sways and just go with the RS drop links.

Thanks again guys for your help!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, this is more than likely the reason of the odd handling.

Is it the cast steel link or the fabricated tubular link? Actually you mention homemade, could you share images?

In the end replace them both with at least the M030 links, they are the cast steel versions.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viggo, I've got an OEM pair that came off my car at about the 40,000 mile mark. That's all I can say about them, but you can have them if you want them. Should get you through in the short term. I'll even throw in the shipping. At this stage of my life I figure I can use all the good karma I can get. PM me if interested.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:47 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to the best of my knowledge, as I am currently upgrading my 993TT to RS sway's fr and back, the RS drop links are good only for the back and if you have 2RWD. I was told the stock frt drop links will suffice with the RS sway bars.
DRM
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Is it the cast steel link or the fabricated tubular link? Actually you mention homemade, could you share images?

In the end replace them both with at least the M030 links, they are the cast steel versions.
Sorry I was stupid not to take a picture while the car was on the lift. The broken link is/was a cast steel link. It looked like a shortened version of the M030 front drop links.

Chris - Are the RS drop links not compatible with ROW TT sways / Pss9's?

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Viggo, I've got an OEM pair that came off my car at about the 40,000 mile mark. That's all I can say about them, but you can have them if you want them. Should get you through in the short term. I'll even throw in the shipping. At this stage of my life I figure I can use all the good karma I can get. PM me if interested.
BB993TT - Very generous of you. Are we talking about the RS drop links or the TT ROW drop links (front)?

Originally Posted by DRPM
to the best of my knowledge, as I am currently upgrading my 993TT to RS sway's fr and back, the RS drop links are good only for the back and if you have 2RWD. I was told the stock frt drop links will suffice with the RS sway bars.
DRM
This is what I mean. Very conflicting advice when I read through all the old posts on this. I am not sure if I understand your post completely but are you saying that RS drop links will not work with RS sway bars on a 2wd tt? I am not seeing how that particular front end would be any different from a 993RS? So it should definately work. Or maybe you need the RS/GT2 uprights for it to work but I don't see how that would affect the drop links.

Or are you saying that RS drop links won't work on a 4WD 993 period?

Guys do I need a new alignment?

Is it fair to assume that the front sway bar can be reused? I believe it takes a fair bit of power to damage a sway bar.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vhanzon
... Are we talking about the RS drop links or the TT ROW drop links (front)?
Sorry Viggo, thought I had both front and rears. Looks like I only have the rears.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Sorry Viggo, thought I had both front and rears. Looks like I only have the rears.
Np bb993TT. Thanks anyway for the generous offer. I think I might have the TT ROW front drop links still. Just trying to figure out whether to get the RS drop links now, or get them later.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Viggo!

If your getting the RS sways get the drop links for the rear and just replace your fronts with stock since your car is awd. I would always advise to have your shop throw the car up on the rack and make sure is all is well with the alignment. With stock components the alignment can move around on its own sometimes esp with the rear toe etc.

Of course I if were you I would just throw in the evo uprights now and drop the car to the appropriate stance
Old 10-22-2009, 11:37 AM
V
Drifting

Hi Josh!

I'm not getting the RS sways at this point, as the ROW TT sways 22mm front 21mm rear seems to be a pretty good alternative. There is enough meat on the rear sway bar to drill an extra hole, thereby making it 2-way adjustable and add some further stiffness to the rear setup. Evo uprights are on the short list of things to do, but engine is higher priority .

It seems maybe it's better to use the stock drop links. Noone seem to be using the combo Pss9/10's, ROW TT sways and RS droplinks...?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 AM
DRPM
Drifting

I am installing PSS10's, RS sways front and rear, and RS drop links rear only. Stock droplinks in front.
DRPM
Old 10-25-2009, 06:24 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
I am installing PSS10's, RS sways front and rear, and RS drop links rear only. Stock droplinks in front.
DRPM
This is what i'd do. You need the c-shaped link in the front to clear the driveshafts.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
V
Drifting

Ok so you only need the RS front drop links if you are going 2wd?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM
DRPM
Drifting

If 2wd you can use the RS drop links in front and back.
Look on Carnewal under P93T Suspension.
DRPM
Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

viggo,

I believe I have a set of adjustable RS rear drop links...you can have if you'd like them.

Quick Reply: Broken front drop link! Need help! (PSS9/10 related)