Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run the Smart Racing double fan belt setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009 | 12:23 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Default Anyone run the Smart Racing double fan belt setup?

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/p...ngine_fuel.pdf (See page 12)

This would only be for those of you not running AC

When installing this on my engine we found that the kit was really not designed for a 993 turbo and had to work with smart racing to figure out how to make it work. In the end its going to fit up fine once we got the correct pulley for the fan. Smart Racing is going to update they're directions to include a section for the 993 turbo now.......

Benefit of the kit is that you have two belts connecting the fan so you have some protection if one belt breaks. They also claim a slow fan speed but I don't know if thats a good thing or not. Prior to this I was running a single RS pulley and I believe that it also runs the fan slower than stock and I never had any overheating issues

If any of you are running this kit please chime in with your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2009 | 01:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I use this kit on all race cars for the reasons you mention in addition that a single belt will slip on an engine that has a high acceleration rate. I wonder what the difference is between N/A and Turbo?
Old 03-18-2009 | 01:26 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the response Geoffrey

The difference was the pulley that connects with the fan. This kit was supplied for the NA motor which I believe has shims built into the pulley and is a larger diameter than the turbo pully. We had to use all the shims and order new pully parts (964-106-511-02). I didn't have those parts anyway as I was running the RS pulley.

Will we get just as much belt stretch with two belts vs the one? I'm wondering how long I should run it before adjusting that
Old 03-18-2009 | 04:10 PM
kojo911
Advanced

Default pulley

I have used them on two cars, works well. I think it's better than the "rs" set up w/ the belt tensioner. There is a couple of pix of it on my turbo motor on the thread titled engine shots. Fully endorse the product.

Ken
Old 03-18-2009 | 04:19 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kojo911
I have used them on two cars, works well. I think it's better than the "rs" set up w/ the belt tensioner. There is a couple of pix of it on my turbo motor on the thread titled engine shots. Fully endorse the product.

Ken
Thanks Ken thats exactly the kind of positive feedback I was hoping to see
Old 03-18-2009 | 06:33 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Wow some great products..Like it
Old 03-18-2009 | 07:06 PM
kojo911
Advanced

Default forgot something

The only issue I can see w/ the smart racing set up, is how much amperage (??) or voltage, you need at low rpm, since your alternator wont be spinning as fast as it use to, your headlights may be dim or the battery light may flicker as you trundle down your drive. If your running everything lights, stereo fans etc, it may not be enough.

Ken
Old 03-18-2009 | 07:14 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

The only issue I can see w/ the smart racing set up, is how much amperage (??) or voltage, you need at low rpm, since your alternator wont be spinning as fast as it use to, your headlights may be dim or the battery light may flicker as you trundle down your drive. If your running everything lights, stereo fans etc, it may not be enough.

Ken
I felt like my car did that with the RS pulley already
Old 03-18-2009 | 07:35 PM
kojo911
Advanced

Default pulley

you could always keep your stock set up, just skip the third belt to the ac compressor. That would work fine, I had that set up on my 3.6 transplant. No issues.
Old 03-18-2009 | 07:42 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

you could always keep your stock set up, just skip the third belt to the ac compressor. That would work fine, I had that set up on my 3.6 transplant. No issues.
Naa, the reasons I mentioned in the first post are why I wanted to go this route. Even with the RS pulley I never had issues when sitting in traffic etc its nothing I'm worried about.

Since you have experience with this setup did you have any issues with the alternative voltage output at low rpm?
Old 03-18-2009 | 09:55 PM
kojo911
Advanced

Default voltage

The only issue I had was when I first switched to it. Leaving the house in the am w/ the headlights (xenon) on the alternator light flickered, and the motor stumbled a bit (I had to feather the throttle/slip the clutch a bit). I have a compact battery on my car, about the size of a motorcycle battery. My guess is that it shouldn't be an issue, just that at low rpm you may be drawing off the battery when your headlights are on. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that a stock battery has way more storage than mine.

Hope this helps
Old 03-18-2009 | 09:57 PM
kojo911
Advanced

My guess is that if you have used the rs pulley w/ no issues, this one won't be an issue either. Quality is top notch, smart racing is a great bunch of guys to deal with, no half assed products over there.

(sorry for the double post)

Quick Reply: Anyone run the Smart Racing double fan belt setup?