Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexible turbo inlet pipes (or any aftermarket inlets)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flexible turbo inlet pipes (or any aftermarket inlets)

Anyone have these installed?

http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9...90mmx60mm.html

I'm not an FVD fanboy due to their usual pricing but they did drop the price from $1,025 to $425 for a set and are realistically priced now imho. When I took the engine out I was surprised how constrictive the turbo intake pipe was on the passenger side (i think it was that side).

The big fear is that these things will collapse under boost with bigger snails so I'm wondering if anyone here with K24's or bigger have had any issues with these inlets. I also believe they are slightly bigger in diameter than the stock plastic inlets.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Those look pretty nice but worth 400 bucks? I wouldn't upgrade until you have some evidence that your current setup is not performing as expected. With that said, i'm still interested in seeing some data on those bad boys
Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Ziad has them on his car, he is happy with them I hear and has eliminated his usual popping issues, maybe he will chime in.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FVD pipes

I have those on my car. Certainly look much less restrictive than the stock parts and feel quite rigid. Pretty easy to fit (although the undertray needed trimming slightly on the upright parts for clearance). Would be difficult to see them start to collapse under boost without little cameras or similar.
Steve
Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wagongotya
Those look pretty nice but worth 400 bucks? I wouldn't upgrade until you have some evidence that your current setup is not performing as expected. With that said, i'm still interested in seeing some data on those bad boys
$200 per side is fine imo. Matt you saw what the plastic turbo inlet pipes look like they are a joke, the bends are very constrictive. All I know is that these pipes will give me another 100whp to pass you on the track with

Data? This isn't ME7 my friend your still spoiled but i can measure them and take fancy pictures to justify that 100whp. More importantly I can give you a butt dyno graph which clearly shows the increase in flow over the stock pipes

Give me a ring today I put together the BBS wheels last night and they are looking good!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe a dumb question, but why doesn't anyone make pipes with aluminum? Alum pipe fabrication is pretty easy, so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Maybe a dumb question, but why doesn't anyone make pipes with aluminum? Alum pipe fabrication is pretty easy, so maybe I'm missing something.
I have not found any aftermarket hard pipe solutions. Seems most are custom made and incorporate some flexible connections in the design.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Ziad has them on his car, he is happy with them I hear and has eliminated his usual popping issues, maybe he will chime in.
Hi Jean! I looked at these pipes initially thinking that they were a direct replacement for the intercooler hoses AKA as "Pressure Hoses". Upon further inspection I realised that these were called "suction hoses" and that they have different dimensions (590mmx60mm) to the intercooler hoses, which are 43 / 57 mm x 410 mm. So I was not sure what they were for as they also looked the wrong shape. In addition, there was nothing in the description that suggested they were flexible.

In the end, I went for the "Reinforced Pressure Hoses" (click here). When I got them, I could see FVD used the standard intercooler hoses which have been reinforced with Silicone. So far, so good and no sign of budging. I'm happy.

Till this day, the "Suction Hoses" remain a mystery and I have no idea whatsoever what they are for! It would be great if someone could advise...

Cheers
Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Ziad,

These are direct replacement for the plastic turbo intake pipes which connect to the metal Y pipe in the front of the engine. The Y pipe connects to the air filter.

Hope that helps

Originally Posted by Ziad
Hi Jean! I looked at these pipes initially thinking that they were a direct replacement for the intercooler hoses AKA as "Pressure Hoses". Upon further inspection I realised that these were called "suction hoses" and that they have different dimensions (590mmx60mm) to the intercooler hoses, which are 43 / 57 mm x 410 mm. So I was not sure what they were for as they also looked the wrong shape. In addition, there was nothing in the description that suggested they were flexible.

In the end, I went for the "Reinforced Pressure Hoses" (click here). When I got them, I could see FVD used the standard intercooler hoses which have been reinforced with Silicone. So far, so good and no sign of budging. I'm happy.

Till this day, the "Suction Hoses" remain a mystery and I have no idea whatsoever what they are for! It would be great if someone could advise...

Cheers
Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
You would think so. I asked a shop to fabricate these for me in aluminium. They took the job on with open arms. I send them my spare hoses and waited... patiently... for 10 months. They just could not get them to work for whatever reason. Apparently it's not that easy so it would seem.

Check out the hoses on this thread here. They look like they can solve the problem... but the cost is on the high side for me personally.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
Ziad,

These are direct replacement for the plastic turbo intake pipes which connect to the metal Y pipe in the front of the engine. The Y pipe connects to the air filter.

Hope that helps
Yes Spartan, that does... thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Janina993
Advanced

Interesting thread again...

I can confirm that turbo suction hoses have to be done from something strong that can't collapse. My ECU programmer have seen on dyno when they drove JUSSI's (member from Rennlist) 993tt, that those short rubber hoses can collapse too (between factory plastic suction pipe and turbo). He also confirmed that those factory plastic suction hoses is bottleneck when you tune up your engine.

In my opinion suction hoses has to be done from carbon fiber. It can't collapse and it allows maximum inner diameter because of thin structure.

I have been searching the place and I found following company has done intake plenum for 996 but I don't know yet do they have solution for 993.

http://www.scargoracing.com/

If they don't have pipes for 993 I will make mould my self and give the work for local carbon fiber factory.

Maybe group order?

Last edited by Janina993; 02-04-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Hi Janina993

I guess upgraded suction hoses are a necessary upgrade for cars with +500hp...

Cheers
Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Janina993
Advanced

I agree. I have 600hp and JUSSI around 700hp.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

If anyone had an intake pipe system off their car, I would be happy to take a look at it with a view to fabricate one from ally.

Quick Reply: Flexible turbo inlet pipes (or any aftermarket inlets)