Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexible turbo inlet pipes (or any aftermarket inlets)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 AM
JMA-RUF
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried this intake kit from K&N? Rated at ~350HP (each intake) for forced induction applications

See this link

I'm thinking of using two of these for my K16/16G hybrid upgrade

James

Last edited by JMA-RUF; 04-01-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

On street cars with the flexible suction hoses you have issues with the suspension cage. The hoses rub the cage (drivers side mostly)and on a street car with flexible mounting for the cage and flexible motor / tranny mounts there is a lot if it. I have had issues with a number of street cars that tried these (even a small hole will throw a code and put you into limp home). Did not seem to give any boost to HP over the stock stupid but effective plastic pipes even with hybrid K24s.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
On street cars with the flexible suction hoses you have issues with the suspension cage. The hoses rub the cage (drivers side mostly)and on a street car with flexible mounting for the cage and flexible motor / tranny mounts there is a lot if it. I have had issues with a number of street cars that tried these (even a small hole will throw a code and put you into limp home). Did not seem to give any boost to HP over the stock stupid but effective plastic pipes even with hybrid K24s.
Thanks for that honest review Bob. The pipes do worry me about the rubbing. I'm running the wevo blue mounts with the fister D tranny mount so I won't have quite as much driveline movement as most street cars but that being said the pipes do rest on the top of the swaybar mounts in the rear on both sides. I used some 3M windsheild adhesive to adhere some rubber pads on there to help delay process but no matter what even rubber on rubber something is going to give after a while. The attached picture is before applying the protection for the tubing

If you didn't see any real gain (i'm surprised since the stock pipes are so restrictive) then I might get rid of these pipes. Given the size of the tubing and the lack of sharp bends it has to flow more (or with less restriction that the stockers) one would think. I have a track event this weekend and will take them off and inspect them afterwards to see how they are holding up.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Nice set up Spartan...
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Very nice. Like the ERP and Motons. Be careful with the reservoir hose as these also tend to rub the suspension frame (looks like your may have). Also, the passenger side has WAY more room for the tube. The passenger side can also be cleaned up even more by removing the turbo clutch slave and installing an RS rack. Then more more need for the powersteering pump and cover... The drivers side is the real problem as the cam tower is sooo close to the suspension..
Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 AM
JMA-RUF
AutoX

Cool! What kind of intake hose is that? Is that the K&N one I refer to above, or some other intake hose / kit?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeebus that's a lot of BLING in that pic spartan ;-)

k24 hybrids/billet valve covers/intake hoses/mounts/erp links/motons/sways/swain coated headers/etc...
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wagongotya
Jeebus that's a lot of BLING in that pic spartan ;-)

k24 hybrids/billet valve covers/intake hoses/mounts/erp links/motons/sways/swain coated headers/etc...
lol I think there is a GT2 tilt kit in there somewhere as well Matt

Man this weekend can't come fast enough!!! I'm getting the car down there tomorrow no matter what so we can work on them friday night.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Just an update for the archives. They cracked after one season. Stick with stock or have them fabricated out of metal. Ended up just putting the stockers back on
Old 04-21-2010, 02:53 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

sorry to hear they didn't work out...there must be a more expensive option you can try!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wagongotya
sorry to hear they didn't work out...there must be a more expensive option you can try!
lol well i did wrap the stockers in gold foil. Does that count?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

That's not good. Mine are still going after a couple of seasons but I'll keep a close eye on them. Drop me a note if you end up getting any improved ones fabricated (not sure I still have the stock pipes).

Steve

Quick Reply: Flexible turbo inlet pipes (or any aftermarket inlets)