Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexible turbo inlet pipes (or any aftermarket inlets)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought VB had hardpipes in the making? Am I wrong?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
If anyone had an intake pipe system off their car, I would be happy to take a look at it with a view to fabricate one from ally.
I can send you my plastic intake pipes if that helps Chris. Do you know of a way that we could test the FVD soft pipes for the collapse threshold? All soft pipes will collapse given a high enough pressure but if it takes 2 bar for instance then thats fine for our application

I'm surprised there isn't all that much on this in the archives, those plastic intake pipes are aweful and there is huge room for improvement. The big engine build guys probably have one off intake pipes
Old 02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
I thought VB had hardpipes in the making? Am I wrong?
cool new avatar Viggo...

Bob's pipe's are turbo to I/C. These are suciton side.

Seems like the biggest challenge on the suction side are the clearance issues to get around suspension. It is a tight fit... but Jussi did prove there was a way around it (no pun intended) while increasing volume/flow.

Wish I would have sent you mine while they were off, Chris!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I could test the silicone pipes for collapse vacuum no problem.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

PM sent
Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 PM
sfl993t4
Instructor

I didn't think to test the FVD pipes for collapse before I put them on, but they felt relatively stiff. As Chris says, would be relatively easy to test if the pipes were off the car. As they are under vacuum they can never see more than 1 bar pressure difference (and in reality they will always see a great deal less than this).

Steve
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sfl993t4
I didn't think to test the FVD pipes for collapse before I put them on, but they felt relatively stiff. As Chris says, would be relatively easy to test if the pipes were off the car. As they are under vacuum they can never see more than 1 bar pressure difference (and in reality they will always see a great deal less than this).

Steve
True. Steve any pics of the install or tips on the install? I know you have to do a little trimming to the engine tray as you mentioned above. If you have been running them without issue then that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for

Thanks for your help
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

You might want to check this site. They have all sorts of tubing and the engineering specs are listed for heat resistence vacuum pressure etc for every product.

You just need to spec out which hose you need, the length and diameter at both ends, inexpensive and same or better result due to the flexibility that you have across the range of products to choose.

http://www.ducting.com/Air.html
Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ziad
Hi Jean! I looked at these pipes initially thinking that they were a direct replacement for the intercooler hoses AKA as "Pressure Hoses".
Hi Ziad,

You are right it is very confusing. I did not know they were different from "pressure hoses", they look the same. Did you sell the Motorsports intercooler hoses that you bought?

Looking forward to meet up again during the time trials in March.
Jean
Old 02-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
You are right it is very confusing. I did not know they were different from "pressure hoses", they look the same. Did you sell the Motorsports intercooler hoses that you bought?

Looking forward to meet up again during the time trials in March.
Jean
Hey Jean,

No I still have those... I've been meaning to post them on RL classifieds. Will do that soon.

That would be very cool. Looking forward to seeing you and try to get engine over to Julian fast, there's still time.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:56 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Hello Spartan
Install was very easy and have been running them for a few months without issue (will take some photos when the car is in the air again).
The upright parts of the undertray near the back wheels (near the front of the undertray) needed clearancing a bit to stop them rubbing on the pipes, but it is only fibreglass and cuts easily (I used an air saw and was finished in less than 5 mins).
best regards
Steve
Old 02-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Maybe a dumb question, but why doesn't anyone make pipes with aluminum? Alum pipe fabrication is pretty easy, so maybe I'm missing something.
We run all aluminum pipes from turbo to intercooler and for intake air, for connections we use clamped silicone and we support over 850hp and no issues.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Guns951
We run all aluminum pipes from turbo to intercooler and for intake air, for connections we use clamped silicone and we support over 850hp and no issues.
The aluminum intercooler pipes are the typical Protomotive/Protosport upgrades. The protomotive aluminum air intake pipes work with dual air filters but not for single MAF setups. They have been very reliable and never fail.

Beautiful car BTW, I followed the build on the other forum, did you get a chance to weigh it? Any rolling acceleration runs to support the 850hp claim?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:19 PM
kojo911
Advanced

Default fvd

I would be interested to hear anyones experience w/ the fvd pressure side hoses. They claim to run them in high boost cars w/ no issues. I'm trying to avoid buying hard pipes, although it may turn out that it is the only solution. It seems like a simple problem to solve, just find a more robust hose that doesn't tear. I must be missing some thing.

Thanks
ken
Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Hi Ken

I'll keep you posted on the FVD pressure hoses. so far they seem good, but the real test will come at the next 2-days event in mid-march...

cheers

Quick Reply: Flexible turbo inlet pipes (or any aftermarket inlets)