Sponsored by:

NOW INSTALLED + PICS: spacers with OEM turbo twists

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:18 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NOW INSTALLED + PICS: spacers with OEM turbo twists

If I want to retain the turbo twist look but want to add a little visual punch with wider stance, can I add any spacers to a stock setup esp. on the rear wheels? Or will that cause a fit problem with the stock bolts and lug nuts?

I haven't seen any 993tt turbo twist wheels that are 10.5 or 11 in wide. Not a big fan of the 996TT or 997TT wheels on a 993TT.

Thanks.

Last edited by jimhsu; 11-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can put on a bolt on spacer. H&R makes a nice set. I did that with the original set of wheels also. I cant remember the thickness.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I worry about guys that talk about a "wide stance"! Washington is pretty close to Idaho.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 31 Posts

if your feeling spacers i would try 5mm. I put 5mm spacers on the CaymanS and the 997S. Doesn't sound like much, but made a big diff visually. I think the stock set up looks pretty good on the 993tt tho (unlike the 987/997)
Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I never thought that the wheels sat in too far until I did the PSS-10s. I am not going to do anything about it, but that (amazing) change brought a previously-unnoticed issue to light for me. Seems like Jimhsu may be seeing the same thing.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chance
if your feeling spacers i would try 5mm. I put 5mm spacers on the CaymanS and the 997S. Doesn't sound like much, but made a big diff visually. I think the stock set up looks pretty good on the 993tt tho (unlike the 987/997)
With 5mm you had enough thread on the bolts for securing the wheel, I assume....I wonder what is the maximum conventional spacer thickness that will not affect safety?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

A research on Web finds these H+R spacers:

http://www.automotion.com/productpag...cid=22&sid=321

DRM Series (14-130mm Track Widening) - This spacer is fitted to the hub with special nuts and it carries new wheel studs for the existing wheel nuts.

It seems that the existing studs on my car would need to be changed out with the new studs provided, so that the studs would reach through the spacers and then the wheels enough for the lug nuts to lock on to them.

This page on p-car.com has pics on the hubs and the studs that have to be switched out.

http://p-car.com/diy/bearing/bearing.htm

Does anyone know whether it's easy to switch out the studs / lugs and put in the new ones from H+R? Do I just tap them out? Or does it take special equipment to knock them out, or to extract them? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

You can tap them out. Then to install the new studs, use the hollow lug nut to pull them back into the hub.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Thanks Barney: and for the ever-changing avatar of well-exposed curvaceous bee-hinds.

Here is the pic of the bolt-on spacers. I am thinking of getting the top two with bolts already on them and holes in between the bolts for the old current bolts to poke through.

Maybe I don't even need to tap out the old bolts, upon further review....I will need them to bolt on the new spacer/hub.

It appears that I can just use the supplied open-end nuts to secure the new spacers to the current hub by tightening the new nuts around the current bolts. Then the new spacer has its own bolts, and the wheels go on them.

I was afraid the old bolts would poke through and cause problems with securing the wheel to the new spacer hub, but I just looked at the back of the turbo twist wheels and there are spaces between each of the five spokes to accommodate the old bolts even if they stick out a bit.

So I am OK, I think, without even tapping out the bolts. I will get maybe something like a 17mm spacer with bolts, and that would fill out my wheel well with @ 2/3 of an inch augmentation, which should look flush with the top of the wells just the way I would like. Porsche makes spacers with max 17mm size.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 209 Posts

Jim,

Just FYI - the OEM 993 Turbo twists (in Hollow spoke) are ONLY 10 inches wide... they DID NOT make them in 10.5 or 11.

I have to use spacers on my wheels due to caliper clearance issues - just make sure (which you have) that the ones you use are Hub - Centric... In other words there is a lip that locates the wheels on your hubs.

Best,

SImon
Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Jim,

Just FYI - the OEM 993 Turbo twists (in Hollow spoke) are ONLY 10 inches wide... they DID NOT make them in 10.5 or 11.

I have to use spacers on my wheels due to caliper clearance issues - just make sure (which you have) that the ones you use are Hub - Centric... In other words there is a lip that locates the wheels on your hubs.

Best,

SImon
Thanks Simon. What size spacers did you use?

I wish Porsche made a 993-style turbo twist wheel in 11-in width. I could get the Fikses, etc. but after looking at some of them I really like the original 993 turbo twists appearance better, and I realized what I liked about the Fikses, etc. is more its width than the patterns. Thus the thought here of using a spacer to gain that little more visual punch.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

The 17mm spacers was what I had. They just bolt to the cars studs and the wheel bolts to the studs on the spacers. It gives the car a nice wide look...On the new wheels I have on now, they are 19x11.5 and are from a 997. I had to use the same spacer because the offset is different than the 993TT wheels.

Oh your welcome on the avitar...More rears to come.....I have a thing for a hot chicks a$$
Old 11-23-2008, 10:29 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Barney1
Oh your welcome on the avitar...More rears to come.....I have a thing for a hot chicks a$$
You know, those of us on the 993TT board should be the foremost connoisseurs of rear curvaceousness, so you should have a captive audience here.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:31 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

update:

21mm H+R DRM series spacers on their way from Automotion.com.

I sized up my wheel wells and it appears @ 20mm would fill out the top of the well quite....uh, well.

I decided to do 21mm since the next size down by H+R may require tapping the studs out.

Will post before and after pictures later.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely post pics - this oughta look great.

Quick Reply: NOW INSTALLED + PICS: spacers with OEM turbo twists