Sponsored by:

You want a Turbo S? Or two?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 AM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 129 Posts
Default You want a Turbo S? Or two?

I saw this discussed here before, but here they are now on Ebay. Even if he sells them for 250 a piece, he probably didn't make better than a treasury note yield over the period, net of all costs. Still, pretty impressive restraint to have those and not even register them. He must have about 100 great cars to have two of these and not even get around to driving one in 11 years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3756.m14.l1318
Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 AM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too nice to drive, too expensive to buy.......what a shame
Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,283 Likes on 613 Posts

seriously...I wouldn't know what to do with a 179 mile car...I'm very happy with my 73k mile TT- no crying when I take it to the track, grocery store, best buy, etc
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously, what kind of shape is an +11 year old engine, seals and fuel system in with <200 miles? I would really love to see some discussion an this topic. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

I don't think the shape of the seals etc make a lot of difference on these cars, the are museum pieces. Of course it would be an abslute joy to own them and get them roadworthy, although I'm not sure I would ever have the nerve to put any mileage on them.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 AM
9caregiver
Racer

I drove them over the weekend to make sure everything worked. Having them cared for each spring and the build quality of our cars is proof that these are the best cars made. Smoked for a while but cleared up and ran perfect, Dr.Ferry would be proud to know they are this well built but not happy to know they were never driven!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

the gas alone in the tanks would hae gone bad by now
Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Chris L/FL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Contrasting leather seats are sweet!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9caregiver
I drove them over the weekend to make sure everything worked. Having them cared for each spring and the build quality of our cars is proof that these are the best cars made. Smoked for a while but cleared up and ran perfect, Dr.Ferry would be proud to know they are this well built but not happy to know they were never driven!
Well said!

Likely the "freshest" examples in existence... Seems like I saw this pair for sale somewhere earlier this year. Or at least mention that they would be up for sale. Can't recall. Getting senile I suppose.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Seems like I saw this pair for sale somewhere earlier this year. Or at least mention that they would be up for sale. Can't recall. Getting senile I suppose.
Correct,. They were listed on Pelican.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Life is too short..these cars deserve to get driven..if not you will end up with a very expensive paper weight...
Old 08-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I this example shows a rare proof point that while the Turbo S is commanding well over original sticker, the few unscrupulous dealers who've tried to hoard them have not had the returns their greed expected.

It seems to me these sorts of cars need to be "marketed" and an appropriate audience of buyers need to be involved in an auction through one of the big meat market auctioneers. Floating these cars randomly on enthusiast sites or "advertising" them on eBay (and that's all that happens on eBay for the big ticket collector cars) especially during global economic doldrums and with the US deep into recession, the timing couldn't be much worse. And of course, at a purchase price of say $120K, the cost of carry for that sum over ten years is a wash -- he's owned, but not driven a great car (twice!) and his money would have served him better if invested in BRKA. Just silly all round. A pity he doesn't have an enthusiast in his family who'd appreciate access to driving these cars.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:03 PM
9caregiver
Racer

This is not the kind of person that is not affected by the economy. They are not being sold to fund anything and if they do not sell he will probably hang on to them for another decade or so. I may put them on Euro ebay, they would be a steal for them with the Euro against our dollar. He has other cars far more exotic that he does drive, after some time passed he just decided to not drive them. He is a great guy and you would never know he was this wealthy, just a normal jeans & tee shirt guy. Please do not kick the guy on here, if you met him you would enjoy his company and his other cars. Thanks
Old 08-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L/FL
Contrasting leather seats are sweet!
Agreed. It would be an interesting window sticker.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:15 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
It seems to me these sorts of cars need to be "marketed" and an appropriate audience of buyers need to be involved in an auction through one of the big meat market auctioneers.
Great point. I'm surprised as he would recieve top dollar from the collectors through the auctioneers. He would be better off selling it in Europe (as somebody already pointed out) or waiting for the next economic upswing.

Beautiful cars. If I had the means, I would put one in my collection...

-Blake

Quick Reply: You want a Turbo S? Or two?