Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fellas, please help! i am freaking out!!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1
Both times i had a smokescreen on startup were after a dead battery! Does the computer need some minutes to reset after being dead? I dont know the physics there but just sayin. I use a trickle charger, porsche oil filters and dont overfill and haven't had any issues.
Manual says ECU takes 10 minutes or so run time to restore settings and car will run like crap in meantime....
Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Kevin,

I am trying to figure out if a turbo is blown. The car was overfilled as you said. I had the car towed, oil changed, drained oil tank, turbos and crankase, Porsche filters installed. Found a pint or less of oil in IC and a little in the throttle body. Cleaned everything as good as possible. Ran car, smokes less but still smokes and stinks. Driver tailpipe only. Saw a little oil coming out of that tailpipe too. Passenger side dry, no smoke, smells normal.

Pulled hose on cool side of passenger turbo. Some oil came out but compressor wheel (fins?) nice shiny silver. No oil in compressor housing to speak of either. Your previous posts say finding oil in that area is a good indicator of failure except in case of overfill.

Basically symptoms now are no smoke until exhaust heats up. Once hot, at little or no smoke at idle but smells horrible. On the highway when you come to quick idle after boosting, significant smoke for a few seconds.

How can I definitively tell if that turbo is bad or just burning off the excess from before.

Also, am I risking any other problems if I continue to test drive while diagnosing if the turbo is bad.

Last edited by badabing; 07-12-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Passenger side dry, no smell (not driver)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Badabing, I am writing a new article to post on Rennlist about similar issues. It is not GOOD to run the engine with it eating oil. Oil dilutes the octane rating and you risk detonation. Fouling the spark plugs is almost a given.

1) You didn't mention installing a new oil filter (first thing you need to do) Not the one with the oil change, spin on another one.

2) Pull the IC, and ALL the inlet ducting, they attach to the turbocharger inlets, Clean the throttle-body plenum.

3) Undo the turbo sump tanks and drain the oil out of them and tell me how much you drained out. Leave the plugs undone and report back to me, how much oil drained out of each side.

Lastly, failed turbochargers will smoke all the time, and in the beginning failure stages will fill the inlet side of the inlet piping. This will pump oil into the IC and intake.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Badabing, I am writing a new article to post on Rennlist about similar issues. It is not GOOD to run the engine with it eating oil. Oil dilutes the octane rating and you risk detonation. Fouling the spark plugs is almost a given.

1) You didn't mention installing a new oil filter (first thing you need to do) Not the one with the oil change, spin on another one.

2) Pull the IC, and ALL the inlet ducting, they attach to the turbocharger inlets, Clean the throttle-body plenum.

3) Undo the turbo sump tanks and drain the oil out of them and tell me how much you drained out. Leave the plugs undone and report back to me, how much oil drained out of each side.

Lastly, failed turbochargers will smoke all the time, and in the beginning failure stages will fill the inlet side of the inlet piping. This will pump oil into the IC and intake.
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. A few follow up questions.

1) Both oil filters were just changed as part of the oil change. You are recommending changing the smaller one under the engine again, correct? For my own education, what is the reason behind this since it was just changed 50 miles ago?

2.) Cleaning the TB plenum...how should i do this? try and wipe the inside down with a cloth or use some type of CRC TB cleaner?

3.) Drain turbo sumps... Should I reassemble the car after steps 1 and 2 and run the car to operating temp before draining or should i drain as is and report?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Default pictures

Kevin,

Here is a picture of what came out of each turbo sump. The cups represents the sides of the car as viewed from the rear. The left cup is the driver side turbo sump, the cup on the right in the photo is the passenger side.

What's next?

Thanks for your help on this.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:37 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Default drip collection after 1 hour

this is what was collected after leaving the sump plugs undone for 1 hour:

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The oil will keep on flowing. Sample it at 4 hours and overnight.

The fault lies with your engine oil filter. The internal check valve is not seating. I have seen a migration of 8 qrts of oil over time.

Solution>> spin a new oil filter on the engine. Clean you IC, and your plastic inlet pipes to the turbocharger. You will have a 1/2 pint of oil in each compressor housing that you can't get to unless you unbolt the compressor housing.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Default 4 hour mark

this is what came out over 4 hours after having already been drained initially and then drained again after 1 hour.

seems driver side turbo is accumulating at a faster rate even though it is the driver side tailpipe that smokes
Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Default total acumulation from initial drain over7 hours

a new porsche filter has been spun on to hand tightness. the sump plugs have been replaced but engine has not been cranked. I will leave overnight and remove sump plugs and post what has been accumulated overnight
Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Default total accumulation since intial drain

this is the total flow since the sumps were drained including the overnight. if you compare the difference from the previous picture, you can get and idea of how much accumulated overnight even after spinning on a new filter and not having cranked the motor at all.

is the check valve on the new new filter not properly seated either? how are you supposed to get a proper seat. is it too tight? not tight enough?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 PM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
The oil will keep on flowing. Sample it at 4 hours and overnight.

The fault lies with your engine oil filter. The internal check valve is not seating. I have seen a migration of 8 qrts of oil over time.

Solution>> spin a new oil filter on the engine. Clean you IC, and your plastic inlet pipes to the turbocharger. You will have a 1/2 pint of oil in each compressor housing that you can't get to unless you unbolt the compressor housing.
i take it the amount of oil that's accumulating in the turbo sump is abnormal. how much is normal? any? it seems like this whole problem began after a single overfill and the use of mahl filters -- is that correct? wow are these engines that finicky? couldn't the problem now be the turbos themselves? enough questions. i just dropped my car off for an oil change and i harped that i want to make sure the tech doesn't overfill the engine and that i wanted the oil to the lowest hatch mark on the dipstick. i'll top it off myself. i think im paranoid.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

The original incident 2 years ago was due to a mahle filter. This time it is either due to overfill or failed turbo. That is what Kevin and others are helping me work through.

I have received some PM's stating that this thread is helping others with similiar issues so I will continue documenting this issue until it is resolved.

Thanks for everyone's input so far especially Kevin.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to invest in some of these..... Kevin has some and I highly recommend it: The silver lines are stock, you want the green lines:
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-lines-001.jpg

and these:

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-lines-002.jpg

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 07-30-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 PM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well badabing what's up --- still smoking? are your turbos toast? have you put on kevin's turbo check valves? thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by parsonii
well badabing what's up --- still smoking? are your turbos toast? have you put on kevin's turbo check valves? thanks
well,

the car has just been sitting for about a week. i wasnt really sure what the next step was/is after measuring the oil coming out of the sumps.

i've put everything back together and it has been started about twice per day (car is at my friends shop who is helping me with this, need to move it in and out every day).

i am going to swing by and pick it up today and see what's going on. in the meantime if anyone has any recommendations as to what the next step is i am all ears.

right now i feel hesitant to drive the car for fear of detonation or other damage as Kevin has warned because i am not sure if either turbo is bad.

Quick Reply: fellas, please help! i am freaking out!!! (long)