Feeler - Considering selling

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Feeler - Considering selling

Well, I am extremely conflicted but we might be putting the 993TT up for sale. I'm wondering what you guys think it's worth:

1996 911 Turbo
Midnight Blue Metallic/Cashmere Black full leather
39,0xx miles

Options (as listed on print-out from Porsche dealer - $111,279 original MSRP):
Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
Heated Front Seats Package
Bose High End Sound package
Remote CD Changer (6 disc)
Supple Leather Front and Rear

Mods:
RoW M030 Sport Suspension on Bilstein HD Shocks
996 3-spoke carbon fiber/leather steering wheel
993 Tequipment Carbon/Alu E-brake handle and shifter (I have original steering wheel and E-brake handle/shifter).
Factory cup-holder/parcel-tray in place of cassette holder (I have original cassette holder).
Turbo oil line check valves.

Exterior condition - everything but front bumper and hood in 9/10 condition. Front bumper and hood do have stone chips.
Interior condition - near-immaculate.

Leakdown from 10/2007 with 36,5xx miles:
Cyl # - Leakdown %
1 - 2%
2 - 2%
3 - 4%
4 - 3%
5 - 2%
6 - 2%

Car has had new clutch slave, accumulator, MAF, primary 02 sensors, oil change less than 1,000 miles ago.

I'm thinking the car is worth around $67,000. What do you guys think? We're not sure about selling it. If we do sell, car would be replaced with 997TT or GT3. Any input would be much appreciated.

Charlie

Last edited by WHB Porsche; 05-10-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Charlie, nice car and fair price, should easily find a home.

Before you go to the wet side I have to ask, have you spent much time with a 997TT. I speak from experience when I say it is a different animal and one that left me cold. So much so I sold mine after a year to buy my latest 993TT.

The 997 GT3 I only drove once and not enough to comment other than it is more in line with our cars than the 997TT.

It will all depend on what you use the car for and how many miles.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You should be able to get 65-68k without a problem. Welcome to Waterworld. The 997tt is very fast on the track, don't underestimate it, will be fun. The 997gt3 might be a bit much as a DD in the city, but also fast(not as fast as a tt)
Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 PM
md11plt
Pro

Charlie! Really?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cyl # - Leakdown %
1 - 2%
2 - 2%
3 - 4%
4 - 3%
5 - 2%
6 - 2%

Dang do you ever drive this thing??? Very nice option list. Should sell pretty easy.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Welcome to Waterworld.
Funnily enough, that makes me want to stay with the 993. I don't know why. To quote Don (911/Q45) in the thread that just resurfaced:

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I feel guilty that I have water in the windshield washer.
I know all three of these cars will be great on the track. What I'm not sure about is how I'll feel in the 997TT or GT3 on the street. One of my favorite things to do in the 993TT is to floor it away from a stop sign or red light at a country intersection with a 60-70deg turn. The *** end steps out perfectly, but I can stay in it and countersteer just the slightest amount - staying fully in control - and continue on my way. I like to think that it is my prowess at feathering the throttle that keeps me completely in control the whole time. If I did the same in a 997 who would be responsible for doing the same? Would it really be me or would it be some computer engineer in Stuttgart? I'll have to spend some time in the 997TT to find out.

I haven't driven a GT3, but I sat in one and the shifter was phenomenal. It wasn't so much a throw as an on/off switch. I'm extremely conflicted. Is there a short shift kit available for the 997TT? Is the transmission the same as the GT3? If so, that would make the decision lean more to the side of turbo, although I'm not sure which one (993 or 997).
Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by md11plt
Charlie! Really?
Yeah, I know, I feel like a traitor just thinking about it. I can barely look at the 993 without feeling guilt. While we were in the showroom today looking at 997s, the angle at which my 993 was parked made it look positively like it was frowning. I'm all frazzled.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put a SS in the 997TT, I took it out prior to selling as it was a dealer installed option.
More notchy than an on off switch, it got better with time but marginally after 8K.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Charlie,

Don't even think about selling your 993TT-unless you are moving up to a 993TTS.

Adding a 997 to the stable is okay, but you won't feel guilt for selling the 993, but rather REMORSE.

Better than selling it, tune it. You don't have to do what I did and rebuild the engine (although you could), just go the traditional route with bigger turbo's, exhaust, plumbing and ECU. Get it to 550HP and your 997 longings will fade away....

Al
Old 05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'LL KILL YOU!!!!!! DON'T DO IT !!!!

I do LOVE the GT3-RS... Lime Green only.... That or nothing.

WTF ?? But a Plane instead.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barney1
I'LL KILL YOU!!!!!! DON'T DO IT !!!!

I do LOVE the GT3-RS... Lime Green only.... That or nothing.

WTF ?? But a Plane instead.
I know, I know. Arrrrgh (that's the "agony" arrrrgh, not the "I'm a pirate" arrrgh).

Funnily enough, we were only in the dealership so I could show her the GT3 RS. Then she sees this one car, "What's that, I like it." "Oh that - nothing - come over here and look at the RS." "Wait - isn't that the turbo? I really like it." And down the rabbit hole we go...
Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 PM
md11plt
Pro

Charlie,

This is a post from another thread, and it may not apply to the cars you are looking at, but just in case-

"As an Army brat, I actually grew up in Germany. I don’t remember the first time I saw a 911, but it made an impression because that is the ONLY car I have ever wanted. During High school, right after I got my drivers license, I used to go to the Porsche dealer and just lust after the 911s. It never went away.

A few years ago, I was finally in a place I could afford one. The new 997 looked like the 911s from my youth and they had to be better cars, right? Well, after a few months of ownership, I realized that better isn’t always…better.

The 997, while nice, wasn’t what had made that imprint in my brain so long ago. It was HUGE. It didn’t make that metallic clang when I closed the doors (sounded rather like my Expedition actually). You couldn’t hear the engine at all. It had so many electronic nannies looking over my shoulder, that I never really felt connected to the car. Reading through the Owners Manual required another manual to decipher all the acronyms. That display on the center console was more complex than my office (see my avatar). It was nice, but Lexus or Acura nice. I ended up selling the car and actually thought I was done with Porsche. Maybe you can’t go back.

About six months later, I saw a red TT at one of the local dealers. There were those hips I remembered so fondly. Oh, and that cute little ***. I sat in the car and immediately felt “home”. You can’t help but feel they designed this car from the driver out. Did I want to take it for a test drive? OK. Start it up…oh yea, there’s that noise! With no water to drown out the mechanicals, you hear stuff. Cams turning, pistons pumping, valves…valving. Take it out of the parking lot and you can feel it at the first light. There is no fluff. Everything is here for a purpose. You can feel it actually breathing beneath you. I can only imagine that it must be like sitting astride a race horse in the starting gate at the Preakness. That is until the first time you experience a 993TT at full chat. Then you realize, this is a horse from a different planet. The first time you experience those turbos pumping air into that mighty 3.6, you will realize that the reason they don’t make them like this anymore is because they can’t.

With the safety ***** (can you say **** on a Porsche forum) in charge it’s all about airbags and traction control. Marketing has determined that I am more interested in cup holders than feeling the cable action from the throttle pedal to the intake. I can’t feel the throttle cable on a “drive by wire” car. Porsche has done an incredible job with the 997 given the constraints they have to work with. If you want a nice car, I can recommend the 997 whole heartedly. If you want a Porsche, buy a 993. But that's just me".

Tom
Old 05-10-2008, 10:45 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Damn, Tom, you're 100% correct. I had actually nearly decided on keeping the 993 while out on a walk earlier tonight. In a year or so, I'll buy a -7 GT3 or RS, but that'll be in addition to the -3. Thanks for the input. You guys are too fantastic, I can't leave this club.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Damn, Tom, you're 100% correct. I had actually nearly decided on keeping the 993 while out on a walk earlier tonight. In a year or so, I'll buy a -7 GT3 or RS, but that'll be in addition to the -3. Thanks for the input. You guys are too fantastic, I can't leave this club.
Bravo!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

...you can check in anytime you like but you can never leave
I occassionally have similar thoughts I must admit but they only last a few seconds and realize that I would regret it.

Quick Reply: Feeler - Considering selling