Sponsored by:

BBS Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BBS Motorsports

I had a forgeline crack on me this weekend at the track which caused me to lose all pressure in the braking zone. The rim dragged accross the track until we spun in to the wet grass. How we didn't flip I don't know as the rim was plowing until we came to a stop. Forgeline has stepped up and I'm sending them all my rims for warranty replacement (if they have cracks). Learn from me and check your rims often guys, this was a real eye opener for me.

Anyway I won't be heading to the track again without a full set of mounted tires so I've decided to get a set of BBS Motorsports like some of you on here have. Figure 18X9 front and 18X12 rear with aluminum centers. Can anyone chime in on the offsets they are running? I can pick up a set from Gert for $5,700 (ouch) with the exchange rates right now but will look state side before going that route. Any tips. I've got a call out to Viper Bob already and will see what Woodman has this afternoon. I'm still kicking myself for not buying AndyT's set that he was selling a few months back

Thanks for any help or advice!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can work with BBS Motorsport in Atlanta directly and they have the offsets required for your car. $5700 sounds about right for a set of wheels with the aluminum centers. Speak with Craig Donnelly at BBS.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You can work with BBS Motorsport in Atlanta directly and they have the offsets required for your car. $5700 sounds about right for a set of wheels with the aluminum centers. Speak with Craig Donnelly at BBS.
Thats what I was looking for Thanks for the advice Geoffrey! I will post up the offsets once I found out what they are
Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Update Geoffrey, I got ahold of Craig but he said he no longer works in the Motorsport division. Transferred me to someone named Zac whom didn't know anything about the 993tt fitment and will be getting back to me :/
Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Zac is in the motorsports division so I'm not surprised that he doesn't know the offsets right offhand. John Slagle is in the motorsports division and Zac works for or with him. They have the offsets and they can/will build proper wheels, but is probably a matter of talking with John first.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running forgeline rims, 9"/11.5", 55mm/52mm offsets. What rims were your's and where did they crack?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Acropora
I'm running forgeline rims, 9"/11.5", 55mm/52mm offsets. What rims were your's and where did they crack?
The same forgelines you have. Here is a pic of the wheel that caused my off track excursion. Also the next morning my other rear wheel was flat and the other side had the same cracks!!

Learn from me and please check your forgelines often for these cracks. Forgeline says it rarely happens but when they do see it, it's on 11 inch or wider wheels.

Any pics of your wheels on your car Acropora? I think the offsets on my forgelines are slightly different.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Spartan,

You might want to check if you can get 10" up front since you are about to spend all that money for track wheels. I am not sure on stock fenders, but I would think that they fit, this will let you run 265s more comfortably.

Scary thing about the Forgelines, just thinking about it scares me! At 170MPH into a first gear corner that's the last thing one needs. Reason why I always use my Cargraphic heavyweights, I don't even use the BBS Mags.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

I ddin't think one could run the 10 inch fronts for track wheels Jean. Has anyone here tried that?

Your right about the scary part. The happened right after a braking zone while beginning my turn in. the car lost ALL control ablity in an instant and the tire just folded over on the rim. Even scarier was that the rim was dragging accross the track before I entered the grass. How it didn't catch and flip the car over is beyoned me. I will be having my track wheels x-rayed every winter for cracks from now on. Since they are covered under warranty I'll just send the wheels back with the x-rays and say please fix!!

I thought the BBS motorsports had a great rep for not cracking? The aluminum ones anyway. Do you find that not to be true Jean?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Spartan,

I do remember someone running 10" wheel up front, with the right offset it should work out Obviously I am not a reference though since I have the flares. You can still have fat enough tires in the front with 9s anyway unless you want to go very wide.

The BBS aluminum are great and more solid than Magnesium over time. Mine are steel/forged centers if I recall correclty. I know I ordered the "heavier" ones from Cargraphic against all theory
Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Jean,

I will probably just stick with the 9. Will make them easier to sell too. With the 9 I can run a 265 or even a 275/30 R6 as its the same diameter as the 265 mpcs That's my theory anyway

Are these the wheels you have Jean? http://www.cargraphic.com/index.php?...9,768/&start=3
Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I have 10" under my 964 turbo body car if that helps. The more camber you run, the wider the wheel you can fit. I also run the BBS mag wheels and some are dated back to 1996 and have been in service quite awhile. I've not cracked any, but like any race component, they do crack over time. However, it is very visible and due to the design, if you regularly inspect the wheels, you'll see them and won't have a problem. The new aluminum centers are stonger, but not lighter than the mag wheels.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Georffrey,

I'm running 3 deg camber in the front with 245 R6's now. Do you think 10 inch fronts will fit on the 993? I'm all up for doing this but I'm hesitent to pull the trigger until someone chimes in with a "Yes I have done that on my 993 widebody"

Is there really any benefit over the 9 inch if I'd run the same size rubber? Seems like they would weigh more than the 9 inch. Not by much but it all adds up I suppose.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Spartan, yes those are the wheels, not sure which of the two to be honest.

You are right about resale value if that is something you have in mind, the 9"s will be easier to sell. Lighter..... I would not really care much about the difference, size and fitment is more important.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

There is a benefit to running wider rims with some tires. Michelin will tell you to run the tire on the widest rim possible This is due the sidewall spring and how the rate changes based on the rim width. For instance, I am running a 240mm front slick on a 10" wide wheel. Having driven that same tire on a 9" wheel, I can tell you that the feel of the car is different between the two rim widths. Michelin says that both thei slicks and PSC should be run on the widest rim possible and from my experience, I would agree, the car feels sharper and I can run a softer spring rate.

993RSRs came with 9.5" front rims, but again, as Jean points out there are flares on that car, so I don't know if 9.5 or 10" will fit on a standard TT which is the same as a 993 N/A fender.

Quick Reply: BBS Motorsports