993GT2EVO dyno report

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:08 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,060 Likes on 579 Posts

graeme I hope your car gets sorted out...I'm certain that I'd be disappointed if all those ecu issues came up with my car if I was in your shoes.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I just spent a few mins driving around the long version of silverstone on Forza2. it's the 3.19 mile "Grand Prix" version with more straightaway and a few more 2nd gear turns but it's significantly longer than the 2.25 mile "international" version. These times are the long track, but like bb993TT says, there are multiple configs.

I'm pretty awesome at driving these cars on the game, and on a few tracks am only 2-3 seconds of the fastest times in the world via xboxlive.

just for a baseline on what I seem to think an accurate representation of the cars performance is...

450hp 1995 GT2 on stock tires- 2:09 seconds. might be able to run a 2 flat if I really worked on it. No chance there are 19 seconds left with stock tires...

CGT on stock tires 2:00. CGT is harder to drive at the limit so exiting those 3rd gear turns in full opposite lock is sketchy- even digitally. I could probably get into 1:54 or so. On slicks? you could definitely run lower, maybe even 1:49.

driving at 10/10ths on xbox is a lot cheaper than real life, but the reflexes are just as fast. A really good driver could make up those extra 9 seconds over a slower driver but equal drivers...CGT is waaaaaay faster.

oh and FYI: driving the flying lizard 2005 996RSR- 5 laps between 1:52-1:53.5 after driving the circuit for 6 laps. guess I would have qualified pretty high in a cup race!

I just recently started playing "games" when I bought a few car games for my PS3. I picked up Dirt (Rally), Prologue 5 (Japanese Version...cant figure it out yet!!!) and Formula One. I am getting better, but I wouldn't want to subject any of my real cars to the driving I do onscreen even on my best days.. The graphics on the GT5 are incredible. I'll have to pick up an official US release when it comes out..
Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

JD- seriously though how lame is it that prologue costs 40 bucks but it's not even the real game!

I've been driving sim games for 8 years now, since Gran Turismo 3. probably put close to 200-300k miles of track time on cars, mostly 911s as that's all I've owned. I've crashed a few thousand times of course, but it makes me faster on the track to try and be smooth on the game, especially since I have the wheel now... I look forward to GT5 on my ps3 as well.

on the real track, I go from slow and early entering the corners to a step deeper and faster until I reach a good pucker factor. On the game I go as fast as possible and probably crash first, then work on backing off. Using both techniques, as a few of my trackmates can attest- I'm a completely different driver than 4 months ago (and about 25 track days) and get faster each time out...when I retire from my real career I'm hoping to be pro-level in some series or another
Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

JD- seriously though how lame is it that prologue costs 40 bucks but it's not even the real game!

I've been driving sim games for 8 years now, since Gran Turismo 3. probably put close to 200-300k miles of track time on cars, mostly 911s as that's all I've owned. I've crashed a few thousand times of course, but it makes me faster on the track to try and be smooth on the game, especially since I have the wheel now... I look forward to GT5 on my ps3 as well.

on the real track, I go from slow and early entering the corners to a step deeper and faster until I reach a good pucker factor. On the game I go as fast as possible and probably crash first, then work on backing off. Using both techniques, as a few of my trackmates can attest- I'm a completely different driver than 4 months ago (and about 25 track days) and get faster each time out...when I retire from my real career I'm hoping to be pro-level in some series or another
Have you tried Prologue yet? I cant seem to figure out the Japaneses only menus. I read in EVO magazine that the gauge package in the new GTR was designed by the GT engineers. I will probably buy a new GTR as a DD when they are released. Looks like a hell of a car for the $$......
Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 598 Posts

I am giving some thought into buying one of these game systems - I've been out of the loop since the PS1. Which one does Blu-Ray and has the best driving sims?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by eclou
I am giving some thought into buying one of these game systems - I've been out of the loop since the PS1. Which one does Blu-Ray and has the best driving sims?
The PS3 can play Blue-Ray and conventional DVDs and CD's. It also has the ability to connect to the Internet (wireless). I bought a Bluetooth keyboard with a mouse pad built in so I can go online from the comfort of my bedroom. It does not have the full functionality that a conventional computer does, but it beats having to boot-up my laptop all the time. I usually check Rennlist and Ebay with the PS3. The games are somewhat limited right now, but there are still about 10 "Car" games available. To be honest with you I have more fun playing Wii sports on my Wii than I do with the PS3. Playing baseball makes me feel like a big league pitcher (!!!). Oh yeah Rennlist looks much better on a 60" monitor......
Old 02-24-2008, 04:55 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

eugene, when GT5 comes out for PS3, it will be hands down the best racer ever. PS3 is great for blu-ray compatibility. I've got both the xbox360 (cheaper) with Forza2 and the $100 steering wheel (Halo, guitar hero, also good on the xbox) and the PS3, although so far I just use the ps3 for shooting games as gt5 prologue just came out. when I get back to texas for the season, I'll get it and the wheel as well.

Forza 2 is good for now, but PS3 with GranTurismo 5, a wheel, wifi, and all the blu-ray compatibility probably means you're better off in the long run with a ps3.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 598 Posts

eugene, when GT5 comes out for PS3, it will be hands down the best racer ever. PS3 is great for blu-ray compatibility. I've got both the xbox360 (cheaper) with Forza2 and the $100 steering wheel (Halo, guitar hero, also good on the xbox) and the PS3, although so far I just use the ps3 for shooting games as gt5 prologue just came out. when I get back to texas for the season, I'll get it and the wheel as well.

Forza 2 is good for now, but PS3 with GranTurismo 5, a wheel, wifi, and all the blu-ray compatibility probably means you're better off in the long run with a ps3.
Jesus. I feel as if there has been some kind of arms race in the simul-racing department and I have been napping thru it all. I guess I will try to convince the wife that the PS3 is a great educational tool for my kids....

Quick Reply: 993GT2EVO dyno report