Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   993GT2EVO dyno report (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/410968-993gt2evo-dyno-report.html)

graeme36s 02-17-2008 05:12 PM

993GT2EVO dyno report

Ran the car up to Fearnsport last Thursday to get a spanner check and the geometry set prior to a track day at Silverstone on the Grand Prix circuit this coming Tuesday. They had arranged prior to get the car ran on a dyno just around the corner. I thought this would be a little interesting as the tail pipes are quite sooted up considering she has had a little abuse and some decent runs and thought maybe it was over fueling. Bare in mind she is factory standard.
So we ran her on the dyno saw 395bhp which I thought looked OK presuming rear wheel HP. Nope that was flywheel :(. Long story short, Matty one of the mechanics lent me his other halfs Golf to go home in whilst they tinkered. He went through the car, cheched the waste gate actuators (they are new) and found one of the dump valve pipes had split and fallen off. On Friday they plugged a lap top in and a proper boost gauge and took the car for a run. It did exactly what the dyno saw. Made 0.8 bar very quickly, dropped back to 0.6 and back to 0.8 higher up the rpm.
So they removed the ECU. The original part number was on their but so was the replacement part number, so at some point she has had a replacement ECU and it is the wrong one. Bloody marvelous. Luckily there are some real clever chaps that are currently remapping a couple of cars at Fearnsport at this moment and they will remap the ECU for me. I believe they will re dyno the car tomorrow and we'll see the difference. I'll let you know the outcome.

Felix 02-17-2008 06:02 PM

Can you post the ECU part numbers?

C.J. Ichiban 02-17-2008 06:40 PM

did they put a stock TT ecu in there to make sure it passed emissions testing or something?

Autobahn 02-17-2008 07:32 PM

0.8 bar is the standard Motronic box. Boost was increased to 0.9 bar for the 430 hp version and 1.0 bar for the 450 hp version.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban (Post 5115719)
did they put a stock TT ecu in there to make sure it passed emissions testing or something?

Unlikely, since the car came from Germany and the 430 & 450 hp versions are TUV certified and pass emissions.

C.J. Ichiban 02-17-2008 10:08 PM

I meant they as in the people who screwed it up...if the car is making 395 hp and the wrong ecu is in there- it's got to be a stock 993TT ecu rather than the Turbo S or 450 kit...

Jean 02-17-2008 11:07 PM

Graeme,

Sorry to read about this. your earlier reports mentioned them telling you that this car was much stronger than any other GT2 etc.. Has this now fallen off or where they mistaken?

I understand there is a track day coming and you do not want to miss it, but my opinion, do not let anyone tinker with your ECU and modifiy it, just buy an original one form the factory. If it helps you out for this track day in particular, then fine, but just make sure you throw it out just as fast afterwards and put the real thing in there. Most likely they will be going aggressive with the maps and you will think that the car is a bomb, you will soon find out you are no faster than the factory GT2 ECU and you might start seeing problems. JMHO

JBL930 02-18-2008 03:59 AM

I was up there last Thursday too, there were a couple of GT2's there. Forgive my naivety but is it not possible for the ECU program to be copied, i would have thought with all the cars that go through there they would have copies of every factory map, or is the ECU programmed in a way that simply can't be copied? I know less than nothing about this stuff but you would think it was as easy as loading a new program on a computer? Wipe off the old program, load the standard factory GT2evo one, job done?

graeme36s 02-18-2008 04:50 PM

Update. I will post the ecu part numbers but I have not got them as yet. Don't flame me as I am a little ignorant but I am told the 993GT2EVO ecu is a remapped 993TT brain hence the two part numbers. The map obviously does not work and apparently they have had problems installing the new map. So tomorrow I will run the car with its original map. It is over fueling mid range as it would be with 0.6 bar but I had a long chat with the dyno guy and he assured me it would not do any damage as it was not that severe. I was hoping that they would have completed the remap and worst ways I would have re dynoed the car in the morning just for piece of mind but that obviously is not going to happen.
I hear what you are saying Jean and I will phone my Porsche OPC who I have a good relationship with and get them on the case regarding a new factory ecu. She is very fast regardless of less than 400bhp. I took a mate from up north out in it the weekend before last and as he said the last time he felt acceleration like that was in a Mclaren F1 road car. Unless the car has a short ratio box in it so I am being fooled I am not telling lies. I'll find out tomorrow I guess. Where the gearsets the same as the TT ?. By the way we stuck it on a set of scales and she weighed 1340kg with between half and three quarters of a tank of juice (92 litre tank) so I guess sub 1300kg with a low tank. Better than I imagined. Lets hope tomorrow is a good day :) plus I have to post a quicker lap time than a Carrera GT on slicks, I'm on road tyres. Should be an amusing day.
p.s. just spoke to Andy. They have played around with it a bit more. Some times she really flies and other times she feels a little reluctant. I concur with this but I put it down to lack of use.

chris walrod 02-18-2008 05:29 PM

Good luck tomorrow -- stay safe!

Rassel 02-18-2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Autobahn (Post 5115857)
...1.0 bar for the 450 hp version.

Source? You sure?

Felix 02-19-2008 02:12 AM

Graeme, it partially comes back to whether or not your car is a "standard" Porsche 450 engine or something more. From what I can tell the standard 450 ECU should have a Porsche part number on the paper sticker (not the silver plastic/foil Bosch sticker) of 993 618 689 85. I think the silver plastic/foil Bosch sticker represents a "blank" ECU which Porsche then programmed to suit the car that was being built (standard, 430, 450 or ??? engine and with or without drive block) and then the paper sticker was added to reflect that.

graeme36s 02-19-2008 08:54 AM

Could not go to the trackday today as I ended up with mild food poisoning this morning. Before you ask the choice was italian or indian, the latter was chosen as it is only half mile up the road, big mistake. Just spoke to a mate who's at silverstone and they've only just let the cars out because it has been icy all morning and it's still -3. Looks like I did not miss much.
Spoke to the OPC and these are the options I have according to them.
993 618 666 10 with immobiliser £1100
993 618 665 10 without immobiliser £1100
These are both turbo 4 units.
In his GT2 supplement he has this 993 618 601 00 £900 no stock in germany or the uk and it is unprogrammed.
They are hoping to sort out the remap this afternoon and then do a dyno run tomorrow. Don't think I have many other options but at least we can look at the dyno reports.

Jean 02-19-2008 10:01 AM

graeme

IMO here is your best option: http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93029.htm ;)

Stummel 02-19-2008 10:04 AM

talk to Mr. Schmirler at RS-tuning in Germany.
Would not mess around with a GT2 - EVO or not...

Felix 02-19-2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by graeme36s (Post 5121510)
In his GT2 supplement he has this 993 618 601 00 £900 no stock in germany or the uk and it is unprogrammed.

That sounds like it might be the part number for the early 430 bhp GT2.