biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANKS jEAN IT WORKS!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 AM
graeme36s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the weight difference when I fiited a set of aluminium centred BBS's. The rears are about 85mm thick and the fronts 100mm.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think BBS is producing the Mag wheels any longer, they have been replaced by the lighter, stronger spun aluminum ones. Looks are very similar.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:02 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

biiig-hp, where does the MAF go? In that picture it appears that there is just a cone filter to the intake y-pipe.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM
sweanders
Race Director

No MAF on a MAP setup.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Originally Posted by sweanders
No MAF on a MAP setup.

Right on the money. it is a map not maf set up. A lot of changes had to be mad to go this wrought. The only thing that I did not end up getting done on this engine was the Secan I.C.. I ended up with the Porsche motorsport I.C. instead due to not being able to strike a deal with the owner of the secan. No regrets with this one. according to my engine builder the evo cars rand higher boost with air restrictors that created a lot of heat. He assured me the motorsport I.C. would be more than enough for what I was doing with the car, and it seems to be true.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by biiig-hp
Jean, since we’re on the topic of dyno numbers I’ll quickly touch on a topic I was talking about a few months ago. I had this set up on a dyno pack AWD dyno and watched this setup do 550hp awd@11psi. (I know that’s not good for the viscous cupling but the cars going 2wd so if it blew out not a big deal) now if I use most tuner shop numbers I could say this setup made 660hp with a 20% correction factor but I know better having a real dyno sheet. That’s why I’ve lost faith in most wheel dynos to be used for anything other than as a tuning device.
Biiig-hp

I agree with you. By now I have figured out (ballpark) that a RWHP/AWHP chassis dyno number is roughly equivalent to real flywheel HP numbers, instead of applying a correction to them. This is more accurate as soon as you move to modified engines. The way I have measured this is through an extrapolation of datalogged runs into HP and torque curves. On the torque front, that inaccuracy is even much larger and can vary greatly, much more than HP numbers, I don't have an explanation why but I am confident it is that way.

As far as your Motec setup is concerned, I know Holcombe is very experienced in them so I am sure it will run great, you are in good hands.

I am wondering why he chose to use the stock 2 into 1 intake route and one filter, instead of running two separate intakes, one straight into each turbo (with two filters). I am also wondering why my engine builder did not choose to use flexible intake ducting straight to the turbos from the GT2 wing side openings, instead of using two filters that are not optimally placed and absorb hot air from the engine bay, the same way as the stock setup also is not optimally absorbing fresh air..There is much more fresh air potential that we are not taking advantage of!

It would be interesting to see your intake temps the TB993T- way under a fast run with the Motorsport intercooler to compare the spreads.

Sorry this was a thread about BBS wheels.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Ok. Is MAP what's referred to as "pressure sensing?"
Old 01-05-2008, 03:57 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

correct/\
Old 01-05-2008, 08:44 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jean
Biiig-hp

I am wondering why he chose to use the stock 2 into 1 intake route and one filter, instead of running two separate intakes, one straight into each turbo (with two filters). I am also wondering why my engine builder did not choose to use flexible intake ducting straight to the turbos from the GT2 wing side openings, instead of using two filters that are not optimally placed and absorb hot air from the engine bay, the same way as the stock setup also is not optimally absorbing fresh air..There is much more fresh air potential that we are not taking advantage of!

It would be interesting to see your intake temps the TB993T- way under a fast run with the Motorsport intercooler to compare the spreads.

Reason for the stock air intake is I’m having a cold air intake box built that will feed off the two GT2 intake holes via flex hose directly to the one stock intake Much easier than two intakes. It may take a few tries to get it right and make it look good but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Come spring time I can give you guys all the data you’d like. For now I’ll send you what limited motec log I have.

Last edited by biiig-hp; 01-06-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jean,

We have experienced the flexible tubes collapsing under high air volume situations, perhaps Todd has experienced that as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Geoffrey

That was my initial thinking but there is a huge amount of different flexible ducts around, with different properties, besides those sold by race or automotive shops that are usually crush-prone, brake cooling ducts.

Also many suppliers of industrial vaccum applications ducts that withstand huge resistence to chemicals, heat, friction and crushing/suction all while being very flexible. Here is a link:

http://www.ducting.com/Industry.html

Porsche Motorsports sell also these intake ducts for the 993 GT2 race cars, but you will pay 10 times the price. The key is to choose the right sizes so as not to restrict airflow, but that is easy to calculate and will be in any case better than a stock setup or where my filters are placed for instance.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by biiig-hp
Reason for the stock air intake is I’m having a cold air intake box built that will feed off the two GT2 intake holes via flex hose directly to the one stock intake Much easier than two intakes. .
Biig-hp I really think that two intakes is a very simple setup and will save some weight as you get rid of that big aluminum (?) piece, you just need to duct the hoses from the turbo intake side, straight to the GT2 wing intake openings (you can use some connectors in between), and then place an air filter where it connects to the wing.. I can probably find some pictures if I search in my files, a Motorsports manual will show the parts as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Big HP what part of canada are you from?

Quick Reply: BBS magnesium