On the Track in my 3.8L today (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
MLB is Major League Baseball, see his avatar.
Oh..Thanks!

Didn't know you were a Baseball star C.J., don't get that datalogger

and stay away from JJayb
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

coming sooncurrently using...

jimmy- I don't know about that deal haha. hoosiers are off limits right now as I don't own a tow vehicle and personally hate trucks. I like the old school porsche- 'drive it there, track it and take it home' thing.

jean-

mlb contract= major league baseball...the only way I can pay for this car habit is because I'm a pro athlete, and this is my offseason so it's just track time, working out, and eating lots of healthy food.
pics- one of my gt3 and one of my 993 on the street tires and wheels. I'll post the ones from today when my friend gives me the dvd.

video capture sounds like the way to go. car already has a roll cage so I should be able to mount easily...any suggestions for cutting down on wind noise? track mandates we drive windows down.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default haha

Originally Posted by Jean
Oh..Thanks!

Didn't know you were a Baseball star C.J., don't get that datalogger

and stay away from JJayb

haha I love the last part. but it's okay- I'm already a hooligan. I asked him extensively about the andial car before I bought mine, and he said- "welcome to the dark side"
Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

CJ,

great to hear you're picking up the pace and hanging with the big boys! Hoosiers gets you another 2-3 seconds/lap depending on the track.

Good video cam mount for roll bars here. I switched to an HD Sony camera with a 16x9 recording format - helps to see as much horizon as possible. As far as windnoise, I am going to try taping some foam over the mic on the camera, then considering using a remote mic placed in the engine compartment to really pick up the throttle action.

Be very careful with the Gt3 once it comes. At TWS almost every new GT3 owner has spun off in some heroic fashion (at least 3 PCA instructors who are new owners). The AWD cars are more forgiving than the GT3, which suffers badly from the initial understeer/snap oversteer transition which comes from the ****ty stock spec'd tires. Almost everyone has switched to RA1's or Hoosiers down here and had a major improvement toward neutral handling. Kerry Bonner down here is running Yoko slicks on a stock 7GT3 and turned a 1:52 flat at TWS!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've driven the GT3 on track in europe and have a good bit of mileage in it already- 2800 or so? from my trip, but will definitely be careful as I've managed to spin my turbo a few times while just getting to know this track...hey it happens, right? I am of course just a rookie of real driving.

I'll probably end up getting similar yokos or something like that for the 997 but on 18" track wheels when the time comes. but I'd like to be able to street both my cars and can't get the hoosiers just yet.

a lot of people warned me about the "tricky" nature of the gt3 but I thought it had WAY more grip and the limit was much harder to reach. of course this probably means it's harder to correct...it's funny though the high hp in my 993 made my gt3 feel a bit slow on exit from turns, and it will be cool to compare both of them with my improved driving skills. for sure the GT3 brakes better although it grabs so hard it feels like the rear end actually lifts off the ground on a 130-30 type braking zone. scrubbing off 100mph might do that to any car however.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
any suggestions for cutting down on wind noise? track mandates we drive windows down.
I believe some cyclist buddies use a sock over the mic to mute wind noise.

BTW, you chose the best color for your GT3, love it!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

thanks charlie- it was between slate grey and cobalt, both with the red stitching and steel red brakes. cobalt coincidentally happens to be the color of my custom glove as seen in my avatar. BTW I love the snow on your tail in the picture.

blue might be the new black...I've really been tempted to (for my next car) go with mexico blue or another similar color.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:37 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have the sport chrono in the gt3, it can give you lap times, but it's a major league PIA to use.
GL at the track.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

thanks charlie- it was between slate grey and cobalt, both with the red stitching and steel red brakes. cobalt coincidentally happens to be the color of my custom glove as seen in my avatar. BTW I love the snow on your tail in the picture.

blue might be the new black...I've really been tempted to (for my next car) go with mexico blue or another similar color.
Thanks, I definitely got lucky with that pic!

It's funny what you mention about blue, I wasn't that interested in midnight until I saw what's now my car with the right miles, price, and options. Since I've had the car, though, I've fallen in love with midnight. I'm also a giant fan of ocean and iris blue on 993s. If I ever own another Porsche, it'll be blue, no doubt about it!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 397 Posts

CJ very nice GT3. great combo. enjoy. you could put a remote mic on the dash btw.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:09 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

jimmy, jean, eugene- I went out on the track again today and had another great session. Finally getting the hang of braking with the tires is paying leaps and bounds and now I can gain ground under breaking too.

I actually brought out a friend who took 800 photos and is going to burn them on a dvd for me- so I'll have some cool stuff to post later.

I am prohibited in my MLB contract from participating in "timed racing events" (as well as ice hockey and basketball) and according to the (sexy librarian style) team lawyer (who has great jubblies- lol) any data or timing equipment in my car would inherently bring the iron fist down really hard from the management sector.
now- video setup I am looking into. suggestions?

also- some of the guys I run with at the track do log their times and I follow them around the track to get a baseline of how fast "they" drive because I am not allowed to know how fast I drive. My buddy Dan and I will be running again next week and he will be timing. I know what pace we had last time I was out with him and will compare that against it next week. Just off hand the fast guys on the track are in the 2:25-2:30 range in their gt3s- on full slick tires and most with no interior, some with PCCB. on street tires in my andial I'm was about 15 seconds slower but with the tire/experience combo I'm guessing it's a lot closer to 7-10 seconds. If I had full slicks, no interior, lightweight seats...no just kidding I like my big heavy car with interior and roll bar.

I will say that relatively speaking I'm passing tons of cars of various sizes (zo6, spec miata, 70's iroc 911, 996TT, 996 gt3, mitsu evo, m3, etc) compared to waving everyone around in november. All those same cars and their same drivers whooped me badly but now I'm only getting passed by track only cars and one guy in his 997gt3 on hoosier slicks and some dude in a 996gt3 cup car. my driving is improving a lot but I'm gonna just chill and go through these tires before making any suspension mods. then when I get my GT3 back from euro delivery (2 weeks?)I will probably be tracking that a higher % than the TT. I still have a long way to go.

this is really fun.

really, really fun.
And then you asked me about what you asked me about?!?! I'm back now, but hectic schedule as we're rehabbing Mom from a hip replacement. Email me at the address below (hope you did get my PM response........HATE that feature), or call me on the # I gave you.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

okay here are some pictures. including really cool shot of 911, a corvette engined rx7, and a few other cars that are really quick at my track here

Old 12-31-2007, 04:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Old 12-31-2007, 09:49 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Nice action shots. I see some new wallpaper
Old 12-31-2007, 11:37 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

CJ, what kind of brakes are you running? They look big, but I suppose that could just be the smaller inner diameter of the 996TT wheel face.

Quick Reply: On the Track in my 3.8L today (long)