Sponsored by:

On the Track in my 3.8L today (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

CJ,

I may be selling my CCWs C14s in 18 x 9/11 with custom offsets. I'm currently running Falken Azenis 615s in 245/315 but you can run tires from 235-255F and 275-315R. They only weigh 19 and 21 lbs. PM me if interested.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
CJ,

I finally signed up on here (I can surf this sight at work, it's not restricted..lol)...When we going back to MSR? I was out last friday with the Viper boys, we had fun (they had fun chasing me)..I finally figured out my R6's and their limits...My replacement front spoiler lip is on order..

-Dan

hey dan! we'll go soon- I'm waiting to also hear back from my dealer about the GT3 and when I can expect that- our cars will look like a candy store running around you with yellow and me with bright blue.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got my Cup car wing and decklid coming...then I have to get it painted..Then I'll be done with mods (yeah, right)...I can't wait to see your new GT3 in person...I just saw the pictures of the interior with the red deviated stitching...that looks sweet...If you ever get traded to Oakland, we'll trade GT3's...lol
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM
DRG13
Pro

We'll call our next outing "skittles day"...we'll get Jacky's RGT and have half the rainbow..
Old 12-14-2007, 02:59 PM
DRG13
Pro

CJ,

Sent you MS message..I'll be at MSR this sunday (12-16), come on out....

-Dan
Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

just to update and bump the thread- through guidance from JJayB and Don aka 911/Q45 I finally sourced some stickier Yokohama Advan 048 tires and some 996TT rims to give a bit more width on the back...(235 front 295 rear for now, if I get more serious than maybe I'll move up to 245/305 or 315 in the back)

for those of you who've only driven normal michelin ps2 or pirelli pzeros, etc- these tires really take the handling in every fashion up a whole notch or two.

when I brake- the car slows down faster and with tons more stability. yay!
when I accelerate- the car grips, and it's a lot harder to break traction yay!
when I turn- the car doesn't complain or yell at me as much yay!

of course my disclaimer is that on a cold track the tires slide too much- but once it warms up they make my high torque feel more stock if that makes any sense. while warming up, I try to get most of the action done in a straight line because there simply is no warning to decelleration type oversteer around the slower turns. Once warm this tendency disappears and you can trail brake a bit more than normal without getting too much off axis.
Tires are totally compliant and don't tramline, hum or anything out of the ordinary on the freeway.

after I get faster and more confident, I will put a touch more camber in the car to make it more nimble- right now it's just a more casual street set up on pss9 set towards soft.

slippery slope? absolutely.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

C.J.

Now that you have decent hardware, you need a datalogger to help you identify what is happening and where, and you will see your lap times improves gradually. I would not invest a penny more before you improve on your driving (which might be great already) If you get lucky and can have JJayB do a run with your car and datalog it, you will see yourself gaining time in seconds vs. tenths when you compar ehis run to yours and look at the details!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

I would second Jean's suggestion, and add another one - get a video setup and try to capture both the track and your steering wheel. I learn a fair amount from watching mine and other people's track videos to see the lines and how the steering inputs are being generated
Old 12-30-2007, 01:03 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
just to update and bump the thread- through guidance from JJayB and Don aka 911/Q45 I finally sourced some stickier Yokohama Advan 048 tires and some 996TT rims to give a bit more width on the back...(235 front 295 rear for now, if I get more serious than maybe I'll move up to 245/305 or 315 in the back)

for those of you who've only driven normal michelin ps2 or pirelli pzeros, etc- these tires really take the handling in every fashion up a whole notch or two.

when I brake- the car slows down faster and with tons more stability. yay!
when I accelerate- the car grips, and it's a lot harder to break traction yay!
when I turn- the car doesn't complain or yell at me as much yay!

of course my disclaimer is that on a cold track the tires slide too much- but once it warms up they make my high torque feel more stock if that makes any sense. while warming up, I try to get most of the action done in a straight line because there simply is no warning to decelleration type oversteer around the slower turns. Once warm this tendency disappears and you can trail brake a bit more than normal without getting too much off axis.
Tires are totally compliant and don't tramline, hum or anything out of the ordinary on the freeway.

after I get faster and more confident, I will put a touch more camber in the car to make it more nimble- right now it's just a more casual street set up on pss9 set towards soft.

slippery slope? absolutely.
CJ,
I would suggest getting an endorsement deal with a Hoosier tire dealer.

Jimmy
Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 397 Posts

+1 on the 048's I have them and do very much like them. they are a little noisy and in cool they don't work well. the Toyos were my first choice but not avail in decent sizes in Canada. also yokos are much cheaper. be careful not to expose them to cold temps ever as the rubber gets destroyed (as warned on the sticker the tires came with).
TT surgeon: +1 on Watkins Glen, but if you really want a challenge on a high speed track try Mosport. I have always wanted to try 2 other tracks Nurburgring and Laguna Seca (probably more accesseable to you). Oh I would like also to try spa and suzuka (both not likely).
CJ glad to see you are exercising your cars the way they are meant to be.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

jimmy, jean, eugene- I went out on the track again today and had another great session. Finally getting the hang of braking with the tires is paying leaps and bounds and now I can gain ground under breaking too.

I actually brought out a friend who took 800 photos and is going to burn them on a dvd for me- so I'll have some cool stuff to post later.

I am prohibited in my MLB contract from participating in "timed racing events" (as well as ice hockey and basketball) and according to the (sexy librarian style) team lawyer (who has great jubblies- lol) any data or timing equipment in my car would inherently bring the iron fist down really hard from the management sector.
now- video setup I am looking into. suggestions?

also- some of the guys I run with at the track do log their times and I follow them around the track to get a baseline of how fast "they" drive because I am not allowed to know how fast I drive. My buddy Dan and I will be running again next week and he will be timing. I know what pace we had last time I was out with him and will compare that against it next week. Just off hand the fast guys on the track are in the 2:25-2:30 range in their gt3s- on full slick tires and most with no interior, some with PCCB. on street tires in my andial I'm was about 15 seconds slower but with the tire/experience combo I'm guessing it's a lot closer to 7-10 seconds. If I had full slicks, no interior, lightweight seats...no just kidding I like my big heavy car with interior and roll bar.

I will say that relatively speaking I'm passing tons of cars of various sizes (zo6, spec miata, 70's iroc 911, 996TT, 996 gt3, mitsu evo, m3, etc) compared to waving everyone around in november. All those same cars and their same drivers whooped me badly but now I'm only getting passed by track only cars and one guy in his 997gt3 on hoosier slicks and some dude in a 996gt3 cup car. my driving is improving a lot but I'm gonna just chill and go through these tires before making any suspension mods. then when I get my GT3 back from euro delivery (2 weeks?)I will probably be tracking that a higher % than the TT. I still have a long way to go.

this is really fun.

really, really fun.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:17 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JJayB
CJ,
I would suggest getting an endorsement deal with a Hoosier tire dealer.

Jimmy

how many autographs do you think I need to trade them?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
how many autographs do you think I need to trade them?
Ah....just one autograph per check.

If you think Advans are cool, put on a set a Hoosiers you'll be three seconds faster. Downside, you can't drive them on the street.

Most video have a stop watch built in. Have a chase car tape you for your times and you won't have contract issue.
Jimmy
Old 12-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

C.J

Don't know what a MLB contract is, but a datalogger AX22 or Dbox style are not really timing devices, it is just an option of the tool.

If you are within 7seconds of the fastest 997 GT3s on the track with slicks and your 100% street setup, you are doing very well already. Great to see you so excited about it
pics..pics..
Old 12-30-2007, 09:19 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

MLB is Major League Baseball, see his avatar.

Quick Reply: On the Track in my 3.8L today (long)