Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips on passing smog test (Seattle, WA)??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tips on passing smog test (Seattle, WA)??

If I bring a 993TT (stock, no cat mods) into a state such as Washington state, what's the ritual to ensure that the first time I bring it to smog center I will pass?

Do I always need to run the steps to make sure the readiness code is set? How long a time do I have from the time the code is set? Hours? Days?

If I do a muffler bypass, will the smog centers pick it up on codes or pipe exhaust sampling?

Finally....anyone with suggestions for a Porsche-friendly smog referee or guru in Seattle area, in case the typical faceless smog centers don't pass me?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2007, 11:16 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi. I recently did this. I don't have an OBD2 car, but do have an OBD2 engine. Biggest advice is make sure car engine is warm at operating temperatures. Also, I think all they are going to do is check for flags at the OBD2 port. I don't think they are going to sniff your exhaust. So, you can hook up with somebody who has this capability you can see if or what has been flagged and stored on your car's computer. My 2001 Landcruiser and 2000 Tundra recenly passed and all they did is hooked up the OBD2 port to their computer and see if either cars had flags. They didn't so they both passed. Hope this helps

Jaime
Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice:
Buy a cheap $40 OBDII reader at Harbor Freight (or wherever) and check readiness codes first. Normal driving does not set many of the readiness codes... though if you know it has been driven for hundreds of miles without batt being disconnected or fault resets, you may be good to go.

There is a specific driving sequence that resets the various sensors. Search the 993 forum for "readiness codes"

Myffler bypass only effects sound, not emissions
Hope that helps.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:54 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarkD
My advice:
Buy a cheap $40 OBDII reader at Harbor Freight (or wherever) and check readiness codes first.
Thanks Mark.

Is this the OBDII reader that you talked about?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94168
Old 09-22-2007, 11:56 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Woops, sorry, got to thinking of my particular event. You don't have to have a warm engine....It's not a sniff test. Your car has already decided if it has a problem by registering it in it's computer. Yeah, you can get one of those laptop OBD2 programs and see what's flagged if anything.

Jaime
Old 09-23-2007, 04:26 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimhsu
Thanks Mark.

Is this the OBDII reader that you talked about?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94168
Yep, that is the one I bought. You can read error codes, readiness code status and reset erros... the reset also puts all readiness codes to "not set" though. So don't play around!
The driving sequence you have to go though to set everything is painful... I just got mine done last week.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:23 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheapest thing to do is just have it checked; they don't charge you again if you don't pass. Given it is stock, and you don't sound like you have a check engine light, I don't seen any reason why it would not pass.

In WA, all they do is plug in the OBD2 analyser; no sniffing involved.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Cheapest thing to do is just have it checked; they don't charge you again if you don't pass. Given it is stock, and you don't sound like you have a check engine light, I don't seen any reason why it would not pass.

much easier in Wa compared to Ca.
for me it would have cost me 2 trips and the time.
and I would not have known that the codes were not reset.... so make that at least 3 trips...
Old 09-24-2007, 12:52 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani

All they did for me was plug in the OBD2 analyzer. Of course with my luck the ECU was acting up so they couldn't get a reading. Therefore they had to do the sniff test on my car. It easily passed with muffler bypass pipes and 100 cell cats.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Agree with mark, if you do the search, use the one that the gives you the BMW sequence. It worked best for me. Ma. is right up there with Ca. as far as emission testing is concerned.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:16 PM
David_J
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my pass a few months ago with no issues. They actually did do the sniff test on it since the codes were reset during the PPI I had done. They first tried to plug in, but that failed. They then hooked up the sniffer and everything was fine.

You should have no issues with it in the Seattle area. I went to the station off of I-90 between Bellevue and Issaquah.

-David
Old 09-24-2007, 06:20 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone! I will try to just have it done first. Incidentally, the OBD also did not work with my 2001 M3 last year and they also did the sniff. Maybe I can reset my codes using the $39 OBD code reader then have to have the sniff test done?? Hmm....
Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

By the way, Seattle-ites:

Do you think they would notice a muffler delete / straight pipe at the smog shops? If I cruise very slowly to them with low RPM maybe they won't notice the increased noise. The car is stock, but for the future I would like to mod the exhaust end of things.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I passed with muffler bypass pipes and 100 cell cats. My car is pretty damm loud just ask David_J. They never once asked any questions.

Quick Reply: tips on passing smog test (Seattle, WA)??