Sponsored by:

2WD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:40 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I would love to see you and Stuka on the 996GT board go at it Jim!
Don,
I don't think I've met him.... does he track his car?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:02 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

This reminds me of when I mediated the Viper Bob v. The Felon at Big Willow with the loser to buy me a beer.
Hey that reminds me, I got stiffed on the beer....
Old 09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJayB
Don,
I don't think I've met him.... does he track his car?
I was talking about an online debate about 2wd vs. awd, but a track competition would be fun too!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:21 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect scenario for "myth busters"......

Jaime
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I keep asking myself why would the best engineering company in the world (Porsche not GM) develop an all wheel drive for their high horsepower cars.
f) To deny JJB from winning his drifting competitions.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Humm.. pretty hard to argue fun. How about the reported 25% of the 996 GT2's that have crashed. Guess, they had a little more difficulty mastering the rear end control.
I have heard this same statistic regarding the Dodge Viper. Wonder why Dodge didn't just throw in a 4wd system like Porsche did, I mean, since 4wd protects the *** end so well
Old 09-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Just not to be misinterpreted, I still believe that you will go faster in straight line (almost straight) and around the track with a 2WD setup , considering weight advantages, just before you hit the wall *** first.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:40 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay993turbo
I have heard this same statistic regarding the Dodge Viper. Wonder why Dodge didn't just throw in a 4wd system like Porsche did, I mean, since 4wd protects the *** end so well
I've always thought the Viper WAS the GT2 version of the Dodge Powerwagon.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This debate is part of the reason why I’m not converting the car till this winter. My car in its current tune makes 433 whp and is a dream to drive on the track! I’ve heard many different stories about how it will not handle well with more power. I have Bob’s kit and a Gaurd 50/80 gt1 lsd that I will try if I don’t like the way the car feels after the engine swap.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:19 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Quick, somebody call Ralph Nader, my 2WD 993 turbo is Unsafe at Any Speed!

I keep asking myself why would the best engineering company in the world (Porsche not GM) develop an all wheel drive for their high horsepower cars.
Jimmy, I thought you were a lawyer, not a marketer. At the risk of taking your post too seriously, I gotta say, your comments are classic FUD. Let's not forget the best engineering company in the world also gave us SUV-height suspensions and, for those of us in North America, smaller rear sway bars. How dare we challenge their wisdom!

The features and specifications of a mass-market road car are obviously a compromise between many different interests--particularly in the nineties when Porsche didn't have roadgoing versions of the 'GT' cars (except for homologation). Germany and much of Europe sees quite a bit of rain, so AWD in a torquey, short-wheelbase rear engine car makes good sense.

Like you, Jimmy, I live in Southern California where it rarely rains. The 993 is a "fun" car for me, so I don't drive it everyday and never in the rain if I can avoid it. (For those odd rainy days, I drive my 500HP RWD M5 with DSC disabled. ).

And because I strongly disliked the "AWD wiggle" associated with torque transfer to the front, going 2WD was the right decision for me and how I use the car. But I'm not suggesting that everyone should run out and do this, as obviously it's a compromise in a particular direction.

Originally Posted by biiig-hp
This debate is part of the reason why I’m not converting the car till this winter. My car in its current tune makes 433 whp and is a dream to drive on the track!
Biig-hp, if your car handles like a dream, why change anything? As long as it works for you, stick with it.

Cheers,
Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmayzurk
Quick, somebody call Ralph Nader, my 2WD 993 turbo is Unsafe at Any Speed!

Biig-hp, if your car handles like a dream, why change anything? As long as it works for you, stick with it.

Cheers,
because I'm swaping the motor this week with a 3.8 monster. I will not change it till I get some good seat time at the track with it. I've got the track for 3 days to do some testing next weekend. then I'll make my decision.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=jmayzurk;4540297]Quick, somebody call Ralph Nader, my 2WD 993 turbo is Unsafe at Any Speed!

Jimmy, I thought you were a lawyer, not a marketer. At the risk of taking your post too seriously, I gotta say, your comments are classic FUD. Let's not forget the best engineering company in the world also gave us SUV-height suspensions and, for those of us in North America, smaller rear sway bars. How dare we challenge their wisdom!

The features and specifications of a mass-market road car are obviously a compromise between many different interests--particularly in the nineties when Porsche didn't have roadgoing versions of the 'GT' cars (except for homologation). Germany and much of Europe sees quite a bit of rain, so AWD in a torquey, short-wheelbase rear engine car makes good sense.

Like you, Jimmy, I live in Southern California where it rarely rains. The 993 is a "fun" car for me, so I don't drive it everyday and never in the rain if I can avoid it. (For those odd rainy days, I drive my 500HP RWD M5 with DSC disabled. ).

And because I strongly disliked the "AWD wiggle" associated with torque transfer to the front, going 2WD was the right decision for me and how I use the car. But I'm not suggesting that everyone should run out and do this, as obviously it's a compromise in a particular direction.

Jmayzurk

I'm not marketing, Let's be clear, I sell advice to clients to support my hobby and family(in that order). The ride height issue you refer to is DOT guideline bumper height, not porsche engineering. Do you think porsche wanted to develop a seperate suspension for the USA? The Swabians are the ultimate cheapskates by the fact they could of used bronze value guides for another 2 Marks.

As far as Fear, Uncertainity & Doubt, (FUD) these are qualities NOT found in any winner of the Darwin Awards. http://www.darwinawards.com.:) The points I make on the board are from my experience, and the hundreds of hours I've spent testing & sorting out the suspension with the added power.

I don't know how you'll use your car. If you just putt around with a fairly stock turbo motor one may never know the difference with rwd. (very doubtful)
But say you pump it up to 500 ft lbs of torque, lets do the math.
You've removed about 100 lbs from the front end creating 68% rear weight bias, which isn't bad for straight line racing as Jean said. If you notice all the pictures of the 993 GT2 race cars they have HUGE rear wings, and 13" slicks, with a triangulated tub and roll cage at 2600 lbs. running on smooth tracks. Their weight distribution isn't as bad as a street car, but it's not close to your
M5's 50/50. Missing a turn in point when the boost hits increases the likelyhood that your going to have your adrenalin turn brown at the very least due to the pure physics of the rear end's centrifugal force away from the axis of rotation.
All I'm saying is that by removing the awd you are exacerbating the design weakness. Sure this weakness can be overcome with big tires, wings, and OH..all wheel drive.

Almost all 993 and turbo's have a wiggle due to the Kinematic suspension taking a set. It's cured with suspension upgrades and not associated with the awd. I haven't experienced it in any of the many 993tt I've driven. Maybe I'm just numb.

BTW, I don't belive you can fully shut off the DSC in your M5. I've only driven one M5 on the track. I could be wrong.

Scott Mellor: ViperBob owes you the beer, I'm sure I set FTD after he left.

Brad: I'm looking for some Firestone wide ovals in 185x18 for the NOPI drifting competition. Ya I can smoke all four wheels.

The above opinions are not to be considered legal advice. Any reference to modifications is considered to be for off road use only. Swabians are not a protected class. Jimmy is out for martini.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

biig-hp...who did your motor and what are the expected stats?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:09 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Originally Posted by LA964RS
biig-hp...who did your motor and what are the expected stats?

Bob Holcombe did the motor. It's a 3.8tt with all the fixings. twin plug, carillo rods, O ringed, motec, secan I.C. etc etc. I'm going to do a post with all the stats when I have the motor in the car and tested next week.

On another note. I just got back from a 12 hour road trip with my 993 and have to say I think I've found the ultimate set for suspension, tires and wheels. I’ve never enjoyed a drive like this before. The car handles AMAZING!!!!! Kind of makes me feel like I wasted my money on a big motor................. kind of.....
Old 09-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Biig -hp are you going with individual throttle bodies or rather a street friendly setup? No chance in trying a Motronic rather than Motec? Knock sensors are your friends on such tunes..
Sorry for the hijack.

Quick Reply: 2WD conversion