Sponsored by:

2WD conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:18 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD conversion

I realize this is a somewhat controversial topic, but I have never been a fan of the 993tt's AWD system--I don't like the effect of mid-corner torque transfer, and I feel this problem is exacerbated with increased power (courtesy of Kevin at UMW). I had been toying with the idea of going 2WD for a while, and yesterday I took the plunge.

Here's a comparison of the AWD (left) and 2WD (right) parts:

I also changed the front swaybar at the same time (TRG 25mm). The rest of the parts are factory Porsche parts purchased from Viper Bob.

The conversion job is not difficult, though wrestling with the torque tube is not much fun. Once you have all the AWD bits removed, it's only a matter of modifying the RWD shifter box and welding it to the chassis (just a few tack welds). The whole job took me about five hours once the car was on jack stands in my garage.

The conversion is completely reversible if I ever decide to sell the car.

I don't have much seat time yet, but my initial impression after a short drive yesterday is all positive: Steering feel is improved, the car feels lighter, and power oversteer is smooth and "natural."

Last edited by jmayzurk; 10-13-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Updated image link
Old 08-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Jeff congrats..

You can find a RS America manual R & P (power-steering delete)and really give your the "RAW" old school feel.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks the photo; it's a great illustration (pun intended) of the different parts involved and the items which are removed. Any idea what the part numbers are for the stub axles and nuts that replace the front driveshafts? I'm guessing the drive shafts could be removed and replaced with those as a "try it to see if you like it" swap before going all the way and removing the front diff and torque tube.

They look like items 14, 15 and 16 from the following diagram from the PET. Their numbers are:
14. 993 341 155 01 shake-proof washer
15. 900 082 123 09 hex head bolt (?!) M22x1.5x200
16. 999 084 634 09 lock nut M22 x 1.5
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

A even better suggestion would be to replace the upright #1 with the EVO upright and new bearings.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:19 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Suuuure, Kevin...what do the Evo uprights go for these days? :-)
Old 08-26-2007, 04:21 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phelix
I'm guessing the drive shafts could be removed and replaced with those as a "try it to see if you like it" swap before going all the way and removing the front diff and torque tube.

They look like items 14, 15 and 16 from the following diagram from the PET.
Yes, those are the parts. It must be possible to remove the driveshafts with the front diff installed, but be prepared for lots of swearing in the process. Space is tight up there.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

did you happen to get weights on the parts you took off? I have heard anywhere from 75# to 125#...
thinking about taking this plunge as well...thanks for sharing
Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

The parts weighed in at around 85lbs when I removed mine. Not as much weight savings as I had hoped but the conversion was well worth it IMHO. Contrats on your new 2wd 993tt

-Jay
Old 08-26-2007, 09:06 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmayzurk

I don't have much seat time yet, but my initial impression after a short drive yesterday is all positive: Steering feel is improved, the car feels lighter, and power oversteer is smooth and "natural."
I don't know if you track the car, but I can tell you, its a completely different experience. The car handles better (without the push!), and is faster without having to move all that extra weight. I have only disconnected my front end, but have though quite a bit lately about removing all of that weight. I don't have the Turbo, so any weight I remove makes a huge difference. I put in a LWF at the same time I disconnected the drive line and the car transformed

I'm in the process of transforming my garage in to more of a "mahal", lift and all. Once its done, I think I'll make the removal my first christening of the lift

BTW, can I ask what VB charges for those parts?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

jmayzurk,
Congrats on the conversion. I'm also in So. Cal. and will be converting to 2wd soon. Who did the work? Can you recommend the shop that did the conversion. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hwyranger
jmayzurk,
Congrats on the conversion. I'm also in So. Cal. and will be converting to 2wd soon. Who did the work? Can you recommend the shop that did the conversion. Thanks.
I did the work myself (in my garage at home, on jackstands). It's not a difficult job, so most any competent Porsche shop should have no problem with it. It took me five hours as an experienced amateur, so I would expect no more than that in billable hours.

The only independents in SoCal I have experience with are Callas Rennsport in Torrance (highly recommended) and TRE in North Hollywood (also recommended).

-Jeff
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Great work Jeff! I have been bugging Mike Lederer to do the same thing to his TT I just do NOT like the way the AWD 993 drives.

Now you gotta get that front cover off the gbx and rid yourself of the VC and the weight it brings -- both static and rotating!!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you need the change the from ABS gear ? I may be explaining this wrong. It may be called a trigger wheel
Old 08-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
Do you need the change the from ABS gear ? I may be explaining this wrong. It may be called a trigger wheel
What's described as a shake-proof washer (#14) looks like it could be the trigger wheel as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phelix
What's described as a shake-proof washer (#14) looks like it could be the trigger wheel as well.
That's correct, the "shake-proof washer" is the 48-tooth ABS trigger gear.

You can see these parts in my photo with the two M22x1.5 bolts through them.

Quick Reply: 2WD conversion