Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you prefer to mod a stock 993TT??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:15 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How would you prefer to mod a stock 993TT??

let's just say you were given a lump sum of $10K to upgrade your bone stock 993TT at 75K miles....

what would you go for with the first $5K? the next $5K?

I am thinking suspension, followed by engine/ECU stuff. Oh, and a series of performance driver's ed courses, of course....
Old 08-05-2007, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

u dont need hp on TT.
put a set of motons cs on it, all said and done, it's about 6k.
the remaning 4k, buys you 2 sets of tires and some pads. then just spend the rest of your retirement fun on perf drivers' en preimum.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

motons CS = suspension, and that would be my first choice.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Suspension, yes, however Moton CS are way overkill for a stock 993TT seeing occasional track. (You did not specify the car usage), I would spend much less on suspension and get a more economical Billstein/JIC/KW variant (talk to one of our sponsors for best choices), it will make no difference in handling for 90% of users maybe.

After that, spend the money in getting an expensive and GREAT alignment job at a top notch shop, including kinematic toe, corner balance, height, rake, toe, caster, camber. Do a search for the best of these values for your needs.

Then if you have money left, get yourself a mild ECU upgrade from a reknown vendor to take you to 430HP, forget anyone offering you 450+ HP on your turbos.. Cat bypass pipes is also good.

Leave your brakes and clutch alone, just pads as mentioned earlier and a good oil.

We're here to get help and support others when we can
Old 08-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let me continue

If you are running the car on the track, take a look at brake cooling solutions. The brakes themselves on the TT are nice, however they don't get really enough air.

Motons and Öhlins are top notch - but only get them if you need them.

I'm not 100% sure about the cat-bypasses and the CEL's. But I'm not the expert, Jean knows more about this. Muffler Bypasses can be fun if you want to annoy your neighbors and set off the car alarms on BMW's..
Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In a sense you're only asking half a question. Post your responses to the following and you'll get some more specifically targetted advice.

What do you think is currently lacking in the car?
You're implying some DE days; is that a small part or a big part of your planned use?
What's the condition of the engine and suspension?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phelix
In a sense you're only asking half a question. Post your responses to the following and you'll get some more specifically targetted advice.

What do you think is currently lacking in the car?
You're implying some DE days; is that a small part or a big part of your planned use?
What's the condition of the engine and suspension?
I don't think yet I know what is lacking in a stock 993TT. I don't own a 993TT (yet) thus this is kind of a survey to see what the folks here, given all levels of mods in your own cars, would do all over again with your first $10K (doesn't have to be all at once) if they were to acquire a stock TT.

I am thinking back and forth about the worthiness of buying a well modded to the gills Rennlister 993TT that would rightfully command somewhat higher bucks (ScottMellor's Frank comes to mind) and maybe not have mods that I understand fully, or getting a solid but stock TT and piece by piece add what I research and can appreciate the "before and after" in a more direct way.

DE: I anticipate spending some days over the course of the year but not too many. So the car will likely not be a track-oriented machine.

I am hoping to buy fine-for-age engine and suspension, with no major needs to fix, otherwise I would certainly address those first.

And, IF I were to obtain a stock 993TT: I would drive it first for a while, and then figure out exactly what I would like to do. Not thinking of "pimp my tt" first without any personal owning and driving experience.

Last edited by jimhsu; 08-05-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I am in the process of going through this right now

After much research here is the order I chose to do with my first 10k for my tt purchased back in March (not quite done):
BTW, this is for a 95% street car as decided to pursue a dedicated track car as I can't bring myself to regularly track the 993tt but still might do an occassional DE with the tt.

Obviously the first order of business is to make sure everything is in tip top shape prior to any mods...

-bilstein hds with row m030 springs ($2500 installed with race alignment)
-rennline strut brace/pc680 lightweight battery and mount ($600 and saves 40#)
-fvd three spoke steering wheel with airbag ($500 and really improves steering feel)
-muffler bypasses ($250 and improves turbo lag)
-turbo S boost hoses ($350 installed)
-ruf oil cooler ($1750 installed)
-gt3 seats ($2000 used with mounting brackets and will save approx 65#)
-rs short shifter ($150 installed and really tightens up the shifting)

thus total done=8100

yet to do
ecu tune for approx 2500-

so after approx 10k the car will be in perfect running order at approx 3100#(other weight savings done as well) with approx 440HP for power to weight of approx 7lbs per hp compared to 8.24 stock

GL
Old 08-05-2007, 03:17 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Conventional wisdom would dictate buying something already done, and Scott's car would seem to fit that bill very well. Your choice as to whether you want to go with something somebody else did, or take the job on of doing it yourself.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo
.....so after approx 10k the car will be in perfect running order at approx 3100#(other weight savings done as well) with approx 440HP for power to weight of approx 7lbs per hp compared to 8.24 stock

GL
Hi Greg,

3100 lbs, how will you get those numbers with little budget?

Also can you please let me know what race alignment is? It would take expensive hardware to achieve those settings I believe.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2007, 09:07 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Jean,
3100 lbs accomplshed by:
3297 stock
minus (don't have my exact weights with at moment but I have weighed everything and these #'s are close)
40# battery
45# spare+tools
5# front carpet
5# rear wiper off
5# rear seatbelts
68# gt3 seats
40# muffler bypasses
10# engine tray
228# off
added
ruf oil cooler 15# + oil = 20# approx
strut brace 4#
for grant total of 2093# approx

still plan on losing another 170-190# by doing:
2wd 100#
rs panels 15#
rear seats 10#
rennworx wheels 10#
carbon hood 20#
rs washer bottle 10#
rear speakers 4#
ac compressor (debating) 20#

regarding the race alignment, I have all my work done by chris cervelli and he is a pca racer (has a 993 rsr and maintans a rs and newer rsr). He said this is obviously the same machine he uses to setup the racecars...
Old 08-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

Troppo: do you feel the gain from loss of weight is not outweighed by the loss of strength in front end in the case of accident? I would not take out my spare ever(in the case of flat tire I will call a flatbed)
Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Troppo: do you feel the gain from loss of weight is not outweighed by the loss of strength in front end in the case of accident? I would not take out my spare ever(in the case of flat tire I will call a flatbed)
hey danny: I have done a lot of research on this and it is not conclusive whether or not the spare is important to the crash structure...anyway I am obsessed with weight loss and have got to leave that 45# in the garage
Old 08-05-2007, 11:35 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

troppo,

which muffler bypass did you use? are your neighbors complaining? (I leave for work @ 5:30 AM sometimes).
Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my take:

Factory M030 suspension (for 90% of the drivers this is all you'll need) Alignment and corner balance.
Strut bar
Cargraphic or Ruf oil cooler
ecu upgrade to 430
Techart brake cooling kit
SRF brake fluid
Recaro drivers seat (forget about GT3 seat)
extra set of wheels (used)
remainer spent on tires.
Most people forget to budget for tires. It's the biggest consumable expense in owning these cars.

Quick Reply: How would you prefer to mod a stock 993TT??