Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you prefer to mod a stock 993TT??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, if you want to loose weight, Just bolt on a set of aluminum doors and a hood. Might be a bit pricey now. But it is the equivelent of lipo suction, the other 2 lbs here and 4 pounds there is like Jeanny Craig.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo
Jean,
3100 lbs accomplshed by:
3297 stock
minus (don't have my exact weights with at moment but I have weighed everything and these #'s are close)
40# battery
45# spare+tools
5# front carpet
5# rear wiper off
5# rear seatbelts
68# gt3 seats
40# muffler bypasses
10# engine tray
228# off
added
ruf oil cooler 15# + oil = 20# approx
strut brace 4#
for grant total of 2093# approx

still plan on losing another 170-190# by doing:
2wd 100#
rs panels 15#
rear seats 10#
rennworx wheels 10#
carbon hood 20#
rs washer bottle 10#
rear speakers 4#
ac compressor (debating) 20#

regarding the race alignment, I have all my work done by chris cervelli and he is a pca racer (has a 993 rsr and maintans a rs and newer rsr). He said this is obviously the same machine he uses to setup the racecars...
Greg,

Thanks, I guess we were starting off a different base, I use the official DIN weight as my reference, which is ca. 3450 lbs. so that would need a 350 lbs reduction to get to 3100 lbs. So you reduced about 197 lbs from stock. Battery weight savings 40lbs It is the next 150 lbs that become expensive and inconvenient for a street car.

I know Chris well, he is very knowledgeable, but my point is that for a race setup ( minimum -3.0 camber fr and -2.5/-3.0 rear) you need to invest quite a bit of money in suspension upgrades, and change the HDs, and then you go for another 5k USD.

The thread seems to be heading towards track mods rather than street mods, it is a totally different ballgame and my initial post does not apply then.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything else from the non-track or mostly-street people?

any more opinions on cat bypasses, exhaust/muffler upgrades/bypasses? worth the money? scare the neighborhood dogs? recommended types?

short shifter is a good one: I think I might like that tactile improvement.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by JJayB
Oh, if you want to loose weight, Just bolt on a set of aluminum doors and a hood..
There goes his 10K!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Jean: please explaint the difference between DIN weight and the 3297 number I see everywhere? Actual weight at last corner balancing was right in line with my numbers btw...
Also, I believe the full race corner balancing/alignment was a reflection of the setup tools, not the resulting setup. My car is setup for the street, I would not want a race setup (for my purposes) with the kind of camber you are talking about...

Jim: the muffler bypasses are from GHL and still allow use of the factory tips. great quality!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Greg,

DIN includes all the accessories/tools, 90% gas tank full and one person on board (75Kgs if I am not mistaken), this is the international standard, and the weight I was referring to. Basically I was thinking of a 350lbs savings to get to 3100 lbs. To get there I had to move to 2WD, remove the sunroof, put Lexan, remove rear seats, and do most of what you have done, it was quite expensive.

I only mentioned the race alignment because it was highlighted in your post, and I know it would cost quite some money to be able to get it done, nothing that would fit the 10K USD bill.
Originally Posted by troppo
-bilstein hds with row m030 springs ($2500 installed with race alignment)
I agree with you that a race alignment is far from desirable on a street car.
Cheers
Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Oh, did I forget to mention that I am including a set of hollowspoke wheels and 4 used Pirelli Corsa tyres with Frank?
(The tyres are not mounted, and I have two left fronts and no right rear.)
Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 PM
pmf
Rennlist Member

Jimhsu,

I found the Bilstein PSS-9 to provide very good improvement for street use, and they can be easily tuned in their stiffness.
Strut brace is really worth to consider for improvement in compression/release.

As for the brakes, I would suggest to install braided steel lines and replace oil with high temp one, may be you want to install air ducts to cool brakes (note that you have to modify ducts to go round the radiators); do not do anything more than this, brakes are excellent.

You can consider to install a good sport air filter, don't really improves performances but for sure the sound is times better.

Anyway the most important thing where to put money is the alignment (carefully check the camber); this is by far the best improvement you can get (and 993TT needs it every 10k Km). Everything else without this is just wasting time and money.

ECU to 430hp requires additional oil radiator and this is money.
Even if you want to spend more than 10k, do not go to 450hp changing turbos, this will completely change the car behaviour and I do not see it for the street use you mentioned.

Exhausts... you better not change them without fine tuning the ECU, so money goes, as just said, very quickly and I would have it done carefully.

Hope my experiences help.

Paolo
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just do the suspension , exhaust, +/- ECU, those are the biggies.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all your suggestions. Though I am not sitting one a pile of cash waiting to drop all kinds of toys, it helps to get an idea what can one expect and to use that info to consider the "stock now, my mods later" versus "tastefully modded all dirty work done" question.

I am arranging to have a stock TT PPI'd later this week. The thing about this TT is that it's a private car, no stories, and would leave about $10000 to $15000 for mods on my own compared to Scott's (I can't imagine anything that I would need to be done to Scott's). Does not mean though that an option like Scott's Frank is out of question....the more I think about all of the above suggestions.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Scott's car is a fine example and already has such nice mods. I would seriously consider it if I were looking. Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:29 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

I am VERY happy with the mods I have done. See my signature. Muffler by-passes are loud until 3000 rpm, but give the car a real personality. I don't think you need a brake upgrade or extra oil cooler unless you are going to do a bunch of serious track work. I ran in 100 degrees at Thunderhill with no problem.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You would be far better off getting a car like Frank (Scott Mellor's car) that is PERFECTLY setup, than trying to piece together something on your own. I can vouch for Frank... it is properly done and maintained.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

I know that Scott's car would be fantastic....The other side of my brain, however, is asking me whether I would be happy with a stock car, maybe with just a few key mods? And if so, which ones would be the first key mods that you all suggest? Thus this thread.

I am sure even a "mere" purely stock car exceeds my capabilities as a driver. I might never scratch beyond its surface.

The other thought: I almost feel guilty to just go straight to the end of the book, to grab a perfectly set up car as my first Porsche.... shouldn't I have to research a little and do the mods one by one to feel like it's mine? I know this last bit is a little silly, but a stock car with lower price, as long as it's not with major mechanical problems, will allow me some 10-15K$$ to play with it beyond the stock form.

Scott's car though is already done and sorted out and I think $15K wouldn't even begin to pay for his mods....hmm.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hal m
I am VERY happy with the mods I have done. See my signature. Muffler by-passes are loud until 3000 rpm, but give the car a real personality. I don't think you need a brake upgrade or extra oil cooler unless you are going to do a bunch of serious track work. I ran in 100 degrees at Thunderhill with no problem.
Is muffler bypass a big risk for getting pulled over and a citation, just wondering? What setup do you have for the bypass?

Quick Reply: How would you prefer to mod a stock 993TT??