Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slate gray turbo in RL classifieds

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:48 AM
morganb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Q, Agree sometime, other times some people do now know how valuable the car they have is and sometimes a huge mark up occurs. I guess this is more the exception than the rule though.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morganb
Q, Agree sometime, other times some people do now know how valuable the car they have is and sometimes a huge mark up occurs. I guess this is more the exception than the rule though.
Absolutely.
.....it is always the exception that is remembered,
never the other 99% of transactions at sensible numbers...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:04 PM
paul-hb
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm the dealer who is selling the car

We already took a deposit on the vehicle pending a ppi next week. I rarely buy cars from people or go looking for "deals" to buy. Most of my cars are on consignment....I simply get a small percentage for doing all the work of selling the car.

Many people these days don't feel like dealing with the hassle of selling a car themselves so they bring it to me. Before taking on a car in to sell, it has to 1) be in near excellent condition (I don't have time to deal with bad cars). 2) The owner has to be willing to agree to my evaluation of the fair market price....this is tough because a lot of people think their car is worth more than it really is.

Also, since I'm not your normal "retail" type store where someone walks in knowing very little and a salesguy talks them into something way over priced. Instead, most of my cars are competing on line with many of the other sellers out there and I have to rely on my reputation and marketing skills to help sell it for my client.

I know that this one was priced exactly where it needed to be since in the 4 days I had it listed I received over 50 serious inquiries. Many of the inquiries were other dealers prepared to pay close to what I was asking because they had clients they were going to sell it to for for $10k more than I was asking.

Regarding the Range Rover dealer, it wasn't this car. My good friend Dave B. at TRE Motorsports went through the car and gave it a thumbs up.

For those of you who have dealt with me, thank you for your support and business. These past several years have been a blast...nothing like having a job where it is your passion and hobby!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by paul-hb
We already took a deposit on the vehicle pending a ppi next week. I rarely buy cars from people or go looking for "deals" to buy. Most of my cars are on consignment....I simply get a small percentage for doing all the work of selling the car.
Is the car still available? Hopefully you're holding it for me.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
paul-hb
Advanced

It's still available, but it may be sold today. Please call me right away to discuss!

Paul
714-668-0345
Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

looks like someone bought it. now maybe i can get some work done.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We already took a deposit on the vehicle pending a ppi next week.
Paul,

This may be off-thread, but I already started a thread earlier on this topic so I thought I'd ask you.

I am interested in your take, from the perspective of a dealer, on this: is it your policy to take a deposit as a necessary step BEFORE the PPI? Is there any sales agreement that needs to be drawn up before PPI? And what happens if the PPI reveals some problems that can be dealt with: is the price adjusted? What if irreconcilable issues are discovered in PPI, which would be very rare if you the dealer checked out the car, of course: is that deposit refunded?

I had some discussions with an Aston Martin dealer in Boston about a 993TT: they insisted on taking a $5000 "deposit" AND a signed "sales agreement" before they would let the car out for a PPI. Their first reason was that it would prevent me from just doing a joyride. When I informed them I live in Seattle, that I would ask them to drive the car 10 miles for the PPI, and there's no joyride or any ride involved on my part, they still insisted on $5000 and sales agreement, which they said would be returned if major problems were found and the sale is a no go. I felt that was not good enough for me since the definition of a "major problem" could become a nightmare if we disagree, and most of all this arrangement benefitted them purely and offered me no protection if they want to play hard ball and use my $5000 as ransom to force me into a deal I didn't want after the PPI.

All the details and comments here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/365751-thoughts-on-this-993tt.html

Of course the Rennlist-recommended mechanic in Boston told me he's never heard of this and that if they want to sell the car they would let us PPI it, no one else on this forum has heard of this, and the sales people were also rather surly, my way or the highway (I chose the latter), which made my decision easy.

By the way, I've liked your car collection so keep up the good work! If you see any silver/boxster red 993 C4S or TTs on the horizon....give me a shout!!
Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimhsu
When I informed them I live in Seattle . . .
If you are in Seattle, have you looked at the red c4s and tt at park place?
Old 08-04-2007, 02:42 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daddyscar
If you are in Seattle, have you looked at the red c4s and tt at park place?
yep: I also looked at their silver 993TT. The red C4S has had at least one accident with replaced fender, and the hood fits a little funny with uneven gaps. The price is ok but some Rennlister C4S are better condition and lower priced.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
paul-hb
Advanced

Paul,

This may be off-thread, but I already started a thread earlier on this topic so I thought I'd ask you.

I am interested in your take, from the perspective of a dealer, on this: is it your policy to take a deposit as a necessary step BEFORE the PPI? Is there any sales agreement that needs to be drawn up before PPI? And what happens if the PPI reveals some problems that can be dealt with: is the price adjusted? What if irreconcilable issues are discovered in PPI, which would be very rare if you the dealer checked out the car, of course: is that deposit refunded?

I had some discussions with an Aston Martin dealer in Boston about a 993TT: they insisted on taking a $5000 "deposit" AND a signed "sales agreement" before they would let the car out for a PPI. Their first reason was that it would prevent me from just doing a joyride. When I informed them I live in Seattle, that I would ask them to drive the car 10 miles for the PPI, and there's no joyride or any ride involved on my part, they still insisted on $5000 and sales agreement, which they said would be returned if major problems were found and the sale is a no go. I felt that was not good enough for me since the definition of a "major problem" could become a nightmare if we disagree, and most of all this arrangement benefitted them purely and offered me no protection if they want to play hard ball and use my $5000 as ransom to force me into a deal I didn't want after the PPI.

All the details and comments here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365751

Of course the Rennlist-recommended mechanic in Boston told me he's never heard of this and that if they want to sell the car they would let us PPI it, no one else on this forum has heard of this, and the sales people were also rather surly, my way or the highway (I chose the latter), which made my decision easy.

By the way, I've liked your car collection so keep up the good work! If you see any silver/boxster red 993 C4S or TTs on the horizon....give me a shout!!
Yes, I usually require a deposit of $2,000 before a PPI. Also, I write up a sales agreement that basically gives the buyer an out if the car fails the PPI. Ultimately, my goal is to make sure the buyer is happy with what they are buying and there are no surprises and also, I'm not running the car all over town for no reason. This way, I know the buyer is serious.

I've been doing this arrangement for the last 100+ cars I've sold and everyone seems to be happy with it and thinks its fair.

Good luck in your search and I will let you know if I run across anything.

cheers,

Paul
Old 08-04-2007, 05:36 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Paul, I suspect your good demeanor has a lot to do with your success, as opposed to the guys at that Aston Martin place in Boston.

The Aston dealers I spoke to over there basically told me "If you are serious you would come up with the money." Kinda insulting, and also he insinuated (before finding out I am from across the continent) that people who don't fork over $5000 are probably just looking for a joyride. Never mind that he holds all the cards (cash) and I can be out of $5000 if he is a jerk. Which he was. And if he was a jerk, can you imagine how little trust I would have to hand him five Gs. so that sale never happened, I felt a good potentially perfect 993TT for the options I wanted is being wasted by this dealer's possession of it.

Now, the part that scares me is "Deposit back IF car FAILS PPI...." What constitutes a PPI failure? Cost of repair exceeding how much? If the car is not perfect? If the engine needs to be dropped? It would be fine if the condition is "Both sides need to be satisfied by the PPI results for the sale to go through," but I was afraid the Aston dudes would hold my money hostage and use that gray zone as a way to do so.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:44 PM
paul-hb
Advanced

I clearly state in my contract that if the PPI reveals more than $1,000 worth of repairs being needed or any accident damage that wasn't disclosed, then the buyer could have their money back. I know that I won't buy a car unless the buyer agrees to that. If they can't agree to that, then you got to wonder what's the seller trying to hide.

The reality, when you are dealing with used cars (especially Porsches 10+ years old), there is stuff they are going to need. You just don't want any major surprises and most good dealers don't either. They rely on referrals and repeat business and fairly representing cars I think is the only way to really earn it.

good luck and enjoy the searching...it really is a big part of the fun!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:02 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

I clearly state in my contract that if the PPI reveals more than $1,000 worth of repairs being needed or any accident damage that wasn't disclosed, then the buyer could have their money back.
Yep, that's what I was looking for: some kind of objective factor that would annul a sales agreement drawn up pre-PPI, and did not get at all from the Aston dealer....
Old 08-05-2007, 12:43 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

yep: I also looked at their silver 993TT. The red C4S has had at least one accident with replaced fender, and the hood fits a little funny with uneven gaps. The price is ok but some Rennlister C4S are better condition and lower priced.
Thanks. How did you like the silver 993tt? Their internet special price still seems a bit high. I'm from Seattle and am due for a visit. Maybe timing will work out better if they still have it.

I know I'm going to kick myself for not moving with the slate grey tt listed by autokennel sooner. Sport seats and full leather in a slate grey with low miles is going to tough to find again.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:50 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daddyscar
How did you like the silver 993tt? Their internet special price still seems a bit high. I'm from Seattle and am due for a visit. Maybe timing will work out better if they still have it.
I did like the silver TT quite a bit. It is pretty stock, but then that's appealing too. Seems pretty solid the 10-15 minutes I drove it around. The price....everything is negotiable. They have had it for a while now, though, so I don't expect it will be gone soon and I expect they can come down on the price if you get serious.

Last edited by jimhsu; 08-05-2007 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: slate gray turbo in RL classifieds