Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on this 993TT

Wanted your opinions on this 1996 993TT that I am evaluating via remote control from Seattle, WA:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Fredo on this forum was nice enough to check it out and what the sales person would allow him to see and hear (firing up the car to hear the engine, no driving) he thought was reasonable.

Thoughts on the price?

The Aston Martin wanted money down before the car leaves the lot even for a test drive. I am trying to get clarification whether they would allow a PPI without the big hassle of wiring $5000. They say it's fully refundable if PPI reveals problems that cannot be rectified, of course, but that always worries me, for example: what if a leakdown value of 10% is deemed acceptable by the seller and the dealer, and they don't agree with my concern? I would have bought myself a car that needs big work.

It's actually on consignment so I wonder if that "money down first" talk is something stipulated by the owner. I can see that would prevent joyrides, but I am not even in the same state to do a joyride, and would basically ask the dealer to send one of their drivers to drive it 10 miles for the PPI that I will pay for....seems excessive to want money down for that, don't you think?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

I think that it is very unethical and suspicious that they require a deposit for ppi. there must be something wrong with the car and once they have your money may have different opinion of what is acceptable. make sure ppi done is by an independant shop (ask here for a local rennlist recommendation). make sure leakdown and compression test are done. it should cost about $500 for the ppi that should convince the seller that you are serious. there are other great examples of 993tt with similar miles for similar money so don't think this is the only one available...also I believe the red interior is a minus when selling...some people do love it (I'm not one of them). the car looks like it has been lowered...what other mods have been done? is this dealer a real aston dealer?
I would look around other places like here and PCA, and buy from the owner who can give you the whole story. good luck they are great cars! the search is half the fun!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's weird that they would want $5000 just for a test drive. Heck Park Place in Bellevue doesn't even ask for that. I would think this should be waived since you wouldn't be test driving it. One of their techs, sales guys would be taking the car to the independednt shop. You should ask them what is acceptable to them in a PPI report. I hope all goes well if you decide to move forward with this car.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems very fairly priced. If you like Polar silver but prefer black interior, and want a car with 15,000 more miles and $30k in proper mods for very little more money, take a peek a Scott Mellor's car... it seems like a steal compared to this one.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Danny,

Good eyes: yes the car is lowered, as Fred confirmed when he was there. The previous owner was someone who lives in Jew Jersey area who apparently was/is a professional race driver in Grand Am? Or another of the series. And the transmission has been rebuilt (don't know how far back), clutch is hydraulic assist (I am not familiar with this).

I am trying to get clarification about that PPI with deposit thing. I too think if they insist on a big deposit that they can hold on to with very little I can do about it, I will not be going further. If it gets to the PPI stage, I intend on using EPE in Natick which is highly recommended by Rennlisters.

Of course there is also Kevin J.'s car listed here which looks excellent with the fine black interior and warrants further looking into. Scott M's TT also looks very fine. And then Ignacio's Waldo....

Choices....but better to have dilemmas about Porsches than just about anything else.

Last edited by jimhsu; 07-19-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Choices....but better to have dilemmas about Porsches than just about anything else."

Jim....you are a wise man.

And, after all, the looking is half the fun!

Regards,

Bill
Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There probably is a problem on the ppi....but anything can be 'rectified'...so you'll never see your 5k even if it needs a major overhaul by that wording. That being said, it looks like a decent car for the $$, always loved polar with any interior. If nothing 'major' (ie >5k to fix) turns up on the ppi, make a reasonable offer. The deposit should be waved just for a ppi.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The $5k deposit request may simply be a way to weed out joyriders. Seems to me that if you speak to the sales manager and show him that you are serious, they should accomodate you and your local test driver and a thorough independent PPI. If they don't, then just walk. Try to speak with PO, too.
I personally love Polar Silver over Flamenco(?) Red, and just bought a similar car myself (photos to follow).
Not everybodys cup of tea, but it definitely is mine!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM
lthatch
Racer

IMHO, the price on this car is $3-6k too high for the market, even if mint cosmetically and mechanically sound.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lthatch
The $5k deposit request may simply be a way to weed out joyriders. Seems to me that if you speak to the sales manager and show him that you are serious, they should accomodate you and your local test driver and a thorough independent PPI. If they don't, then just walk.
I agree with lthatch here. There are other Rennlist cars out there that you can look at with way less hassle.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

From what I know and have seen as long as you like arena red and are planning on keeping the car for a long time, I would go for Waldo.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

It is a gorgeous car FWIW.........and fairly priced considering people will pay up for red leather.

Call the sales manager and offer to pay to have a flatdeck send it out for the PPI and bring it back. If they say no to that......they are truly stupid. Do not give them a deposit. I buy cars like this all the time......they are totally out of touch if they stand their ground.

I wonder if their GM would like to read this thread.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Seems very fairly priced. If you like Polar silver but prefer black interior, and want a car with 15,000 more miles and $30k in proper mods for very little more money, take a peek a Scott Mellor's car... it seems like a steal compared to this one.
I'm with Steeve on this one...
Pierre
Old 07-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
I'm with Steeve on this one...
Pierre
Yes, check out Scott Mellors car if you like Polar silver.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Gosh lads thanks for all the love. I'll fax you both a beer.
And I have never even met PierreTT! I'll have to fax you a Labatts and a back-bacon sandwich.

Jim, come drive Frank and you will forget the others. That's what happened to me.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 993TT