AX22, DL1, Driftbox..... etc etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jean
Magnus

For my needs it has always been excellent. You can add a few sensors if you wish to make it perfect, nothing that I need really.

Jean
Hi Jean,

Sounds like the AX22 would be the choice for me then. Especially if it can track lap times decently. According to the website, the package includes:

Originally Posted by Race Technology
A complete AX22 performance computer system, ready to use, includes:

* AX22 unit
* Windscreen suction mount
* 12v car power lead with connector block
* 2m serial lead (null modem)
* Magnetic mounting GPS antenna (3m cable)
* Comprehensive software CD

Everything you need to start testing. The only item you will need to add is a compact flash card and a suitable card reader to download the data to your PC.
CF card + reader I can fix on the side. Is there anything else I should get while I'm at it?

Thnx for advice!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Magnus

Everything you need is there. A couple of tips.

If you might be using it on a race car some day, you might want to buy the battery pack in case there is no lighter socket, or if you are using, say, a lipstick camera that also needs a power supply.
The RPM sensor is a nice add on. Get the storage box, expensive for what it is, but very practical to carry the tool safely.
Have fun.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in sweden most people use the Driftbox or performace box,and they work perfect....

I have never heard anyone complain about they work bad on the track...Check on rejsa there is alot of talk on them
Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Here in sweden most people use the Driftbox or performace box,and they work perfect....

I have never heard anyone complain about they work bad on the track...Check on rejsa there is alot of talk on them
Thank you Rickard, will look into that also.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo

I am sure they must be checking out drift angles instead of racing lines, Swedes never enter a corner in straight line anyway. Or ..maybe they are slow drivers? Except Magnus that is, because he is a Rennlister

My eyes don't lie to me (yet) the lines were off by quite a few meters when comparing laps, showing me I was driving on the grass in quite a few turns, while I wasn't, I swear.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jean

The new performance box doesnt have drift angels..

Obvius it didnt work okey for you if you are sure you was on the track..
Old 03-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Rassel
Drifting

I am sure they must be checking out drift angles instead of racing lines, Swedes never enter a corner in straight line anyway. Or ..maybe they are slow drivers? Except Magnus that is, because he is a Rennlister
We used to be good off track, but it seems the Finns and the Norwegians got us by the ***** atm.

My eyes don't lie to me (yet) the lines were off by quite a few meters when comparing laps, showing me I was driving on the grass in quite a few turns, while I wasn't, I swear.
I think the term is "Curb Surfing..."

I'll be using it both for street and race cars, so thanx for head's up on battery.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rassel
We used to be good off track, but it seems the Finns and the Norwegians got us by the ***** atm.
That must be Hans Frisak and Son

Originally Posted by Rassel
I think the term is "Curb Surfing..."
I like that! No more " I missed the f.... apex" but rather "dude! I was curb surfing"
Old 03-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ax22 ( FS )

Guys,

I too have an unused AX22 w/memory card. Bought it and never got around to using it.

Cheers

R

RufmagianATearthlink.net
Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 PM
markski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Performance box and it works well.
I have heard that if the antenna on the AX-22 is loose then u get skewed data. If someone in the states has a Ax22 I would be glad to run it side by side and put this dilemma to rest once and for all. Jean can do all the numbers.. hes the man
markski
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark any of these devices if used improperly can, and will give wrong data. As I said earlier, in straight line both of them seem as accurate. Fool with the tool, and both of them will show wrong data as well.

On the track, my experience has been that the mapping of the track and subsequent race lines were quite wrong with the DBox, maybe something was not properly calibrated I don't know, but again comes to show that none of these tools is foolproof, one has to use them as intended.

For someone who wants to go out on the track, from what I have seen is that the Ax22 has more potential. For a drag strip, the DBox seems more user friendly, and they are both as accurate.

Quick Reply: AX22, DL1, Driftbox..... etc etc