Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs, wires, cap and rotor

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007 | 01:35 PM
davidrcarls
AutoX

Default Plugs, wires, cap and rotor

Do I really want to DIY this on my 96 993TT with 46K miles?

I have read the p-car stuff, talked with a mechanic, and searched the rennlist archives, and still feel the need for some advice. In fact, some of what I read seemed downright scary!

1) Jacking and supporting the car: My car was lowered by the previous owner to euro specs (whatever that is), and I am having a hard time getting the car up high enough to use the jack stands. I was told (by someone I trust) NOT to use the bottom of the engine for jacking, so that leaves the 4 jacking points. If I use the rear jacking point, the floor jack gets in the way of where the jackstand needs to go. Any ideas? Can I jack up the car with the rear jacking points, and simply place blocks under the rear wheels (this sounds dangerous), and I have read that I need to pull the passenger side real wheel to remove the access plate hiding the front passenger side plug (so blocks under the tires may not work anyway)

Hey, if I can't get the car into the air, I won't have to worry about the DIY to follow! In a way ... this works for me.

2) Can anyone scan and send me copy of the service manuals for changing out plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter?

I really want to tackle this myself, but I have trepidation. My dealer (Sonnen Porsche of Mill Valley, CA wants $2400 to do this. OUCH!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

David Carls
Old 02-25-2007 | 03:28 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Doing the plug wires is a task.. If you aren't comfortable with it I wouldn't recommend it as your first DIY..

All in all, it is almost easier to pull your engine and trans as a unit and replace your clutch and then address these issues.. You can also service your power-steering pump seal and belt and also address your slave and accumulator..

With the engine sitting on the floor, you aren't fighting everything.. Also, check your engine wiring harness..
Old 02-25-2007 | 04:05 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I did it about a year ago. I never kept track of the actual hours but it was quite a few. I ended up making my own plug removal tool from a T handled plug wrench plus a couple of other modified tools as well. If you have the time it's a good way to learn a little more about the car.

From memory you only have to jack up the car to remove the clamps for the turbo to intercooler hoses and to get at plug #6. Jacking the car up by the engine seems pretty standard practice.
Old 02-25-2007 | 05:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I little tip is to place 2 x 12 blocks near the rear tires so that you drive on top of them.. This will get the rear up in the air a bit so that you can position the jack. Another tip that I have always done is grab a hockey puck and set it on your jack so that you don't mess up your jack points and valances.
Old 02-25-2007 | 07:05 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Years ago I bought a 3/8 plug socket which has a built in internal magnet .
That is a major improvement over the type with an internal rubber ring ready to fall out, together with the plug !!
All this stuff saves time/frustration .

Good luck with the mission !

Geoff

Quick Reply: Plugs, wires, cap and rotor