After-market turbo headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default After-market turbo headers

If you're running Fabspeed or any of the after-market headers (993 Turbo, that is) I'm curious to hear of your experiences.

Have you run before/after dyno passes?

If not a dyno, how does the "butt dyno" feel?

Any change in exhaust note, turbo spool-up, lag?

Anyone running GT28R (oil-cooled)?

Anyone running Garretts in general?

ps. The car will very likely end up with Garretts and I'll have a set of 10K mile K24's for sale.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original headers got damaged. I bought B&B headers and they cracked, leaking exhaust fumes when I turned the heat on. So I got rid of them and now have Fabspeed. I think they are suffering the same fate as the B&B, I am getting some exhaust fumes. I have now decided to go back to stock....my opinion: Stay with factory headers.

Jay
Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I know this is naive, but surely any company should repair or replace a product that fails in this sort of case.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

B&B did repair the headers. But I just did not feel comfortable putting them back in the car, so I sold them.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my impression from other posts in this forum is that the stock headers are quite optimal already; plus you get to keep your heater.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The factory headers do very well. I'm looking for an after-market solution. Or fab something custom -- in which case I'll copy the factory but skip heat (it's insanely heavy plumbing and it's all hanging behind the rear axle) and go with Garrett flanges.

For starters, I'd like to hear from folks who've already gone to after-market headers. I've heard of people losing power or torque. And I've seen quality issues in terms of fit and durability.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:33 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

I am planning headers with no heat. the car is pretty much track only and I would not need the heat so I'll just have less plumbing and weight as you noted. The fabspeed headers look better made than the BB. In my experience with a 930 B&B was junk (it cracked) so I went to GHL which was a perfect fit and worked very well with heat. I don't think GHL is making 993tt headers. I contacted S Car Go, nothing there besides a prototype they made but they are not producing the headers. Other option is PMNA. They'd probably cost a butt load for no reason, just because they are Porsche Motorsports
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

PMNA has just about ZERO left anymore for 993s. They sold off almost everything they had left over a year ago. Unless it has water in it, they don't even think about it anymore.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyT
I am planning headers with no heat. the car is pretty much track only and I would not need the heat so I'll just have less plumbing and weight as you noted. The fabspeed headers look better made than the BB. In my experience with a 930 B&B was junk (it cracked) so I went to GHL which was a perfect fit and worked very well with heat. I don't think GHL is making 993tt headers. I contacted S Car Go, nothing there besides a prototype they made but they are not producing the headers. Other option is PMNA. They'd probably cost a butt load for no reason, just because they are Porsche Motorsports
I've looked around the various brands and some of the more notable after-market fabricators like Protomotive. Scargo wants crazy money to fabricate a set -- see their 996 Turbo pricing for an example.
The various after-market turbo tuners see headers as part of their individual slipper slope offerings, but I'm keeping this car to the mechanical limits of the factory internals, so there's no appeal in anything other than keeping a budget while eliminating lag and making for a daily driver and some time track toy.
Right now, I'm having a lot of fun with the 993 Turbo. I've left that car sit in the garage for too long!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
For starters, I'd like to hear from folks who've already gone to after-market headers. I've heard of people losing power or torque. And I've seen quality issues in terms of fit and durability.
With the Fabspeeds I have on now, I notice no difference compared to stock. They make two different types, one with heat and one without. IMHO they are not as durable as the factory headers and I regret ever getting the aftermarket stuff.

Luckily I just bought a pair of used factory headers on Ebay for $405, I hope to install those and pawn off or sell the Fabspeeds.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Red9
Racer

If the Fabspeeds have heat I will give you the $405 ! Serious offer.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay993turbo
With the Fabspeeds I have on now, I notice no difference compared to stock. They make two different types, one with heat and one without. IMHO they are not as durable as the factory headers and I regret ever getting the aftermarket stuff.

Luckily I just bought a pair of used factory headers on Ebay for $405, I hope to install those and pawn off or sell the Fabspeeds.
In what ways are the Fabspeeds less durable?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by pstoppani
In what ways are the Fabspeeds less durable?
They crack.

My driver side header now has a crack that formed on one of the welds inside the heat jacket. It now leaks exhuast into the cabin when I turn the heat on. This is the same scenario I went through with the B&B headers I had previously. Although the quality of the fabspeed headers is very good, much better than B&B, they just don't last.

Both the B&B and Fabspeed headers lasted me about 4-5 months of daily driving and then went kaput. I wanted to share this experience with you guys so you don't have to go through what I did.

Edit: I have Fabspeed Maxlow mufflers and they are excellent! I am very happy with them, highly recommended!

Jay
Old 12-21-2006, 08:54 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

The other option is sent the factory header to Keven, have him clean them up and rip off the exchangers. Kevin any thoughts ?

Quick Reply: After-market turbo headers