Sponsored by:

993TT in Reno

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 PM
kennyjr748
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993TT in Reno

Does anyone know about this car? http://www.sporthausinc.com/cars/porsche/2560/2560.htm

When I first enquired about it, the dealer said that they had some records. It turns out the only record they have is of an oil change and an alignment that they did there.

I'm worried because there are no records. He said that I could do a PPI.

Opinions?

thank you,

Kenny
SF, Ca
Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The car looks good...as they all do! It has probably seen some track use (RS bars, Pss-9s, oil cooler, roll bar), but that is not necessarily a negative. The owner must be an enthusiast... but OMG are those "coco floor mats"? I haven't seen those in a very long time. <shiver>

For about the same money, you can get into LeeR's midnight 993TT. He has some very tasteful mods and the car has been very well cared for. Check the classifieds, or send me an email (ca993twin@yahoo.com) and I'll try to find Lee's email addr. I also have a few pictures of his car.

These two cars are very close... I happen to know Lee's car.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Nice car, not a bad price, should actually sell for less than 57k. I have dealt with Dolph at Sport Haus those guys are a decent bunch but they can miss some important details. Good Luck
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Oh by the way no affiliation etc, they did a PPI for me in the past there are a couple other shops in the Reno area.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by schnele
Nice car, not a bad price, should actually sell for less than 57k. I have dealt with Dolph at Sport Haus those guys are a decent bunch but they can miss some important details. Good Luck
You'll need somewhere for a very thorough PPI as ever. 996 wheels, roll bar, etc. You have a lot of questions to answer. Missing rear seats, buckles etc? Are these gone? What else "factory" is gone?

An aftermarket warranty would be good. Maybe you know a Porsche dealer well enough to get it rolled into a CPO of some sort? (Just thinking out loud.)

As for the car, I haven't kept current on prices in the last few months but $60K would have been a dream just a few years ago but seems to be a stable point for low-end of the market. And you could well end up writing a check starting with a "5" so that's pretty tempting in itself. But the real budget is the process of getting this car back to a state you're happy to drive. Prices for almost anything on a 993 have increased, some things have skyrocketed while some things (hard turbo tubes) have dropped a bit. Once you look at everything the PPI and make sure of the common, big ticket item costs (clutch pressure accumulator, ABS, turbos, etc.) and the PPI has to throughly test everything (compression, leak-down, viscous coupling, 1st gear "whine," clutch, metal in gearbox on the hopefully magnetic drain plug, brake rotors, pads, tires, alignment, service history, changed filters, leaks around engine covers, modifications, suspension condition, leaking dampers, worn bushing, worn engine mounts ... just to name a few of the things that can step up and ask for hundreds or thousands of dollars.)

Not to dissuade you from the car, but this is not a Toyota and the operating costs could mount quickly if the PPI is not thorough.

Will you be keeping the car in NV or CA or elsewhere? Again, the service history, receipts and the PPI (checking for codes, readiness codes for SMOG and the last SMOG in CA if applicable -- you can't ignore the emissions issues.)

Coincidentally, I'll be in Reno tomorrow (buying a mattress at CostCo ...) so if that dealer is nearby and it's not snowing, I'd be happy to give it a quick once over -- which can be enough to spot "walk away" indicators like a gallon of oil in the engine tray (if it's still there.)

Overall, I think this is a colour scheme that can work well with a classic, luxurious look unlike the everywhere silver or black (mine is silver ...) With some attention to the paint, it will come back to perfect. With a budget for the nose to be resprayed and maybe covered with 3M or whatever, it will be more durable in the future. And if you have track days planned, that bar is an asset of course.

Good luck.

ps. Thinking about the mods, PSS9, Ruf aux cooler, RS sways, 996 Turbo wheels, those are the "choice" first moves down the slippery slope. I wonder if this is a Rennlister car. Just a thought. PSS9's are worth a grand in the calculations I guess, RS sways don't come cheap, the Ruf cooler isn't even available any more is it? Or at least it's wildly expensive. But it's not going to be easy to sell that car in the dead of winter in Reno, so you have leverage. Just get that engine checked out!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:37 AM
kennyjr748
Advanced

Steve, I sent you an email about LeeR's car

CarreraGT- the car comes with the original rear seats and belts, and the original hollow spoke wheels. I asked about the turbos, and the dealership said that the car was still on it's original turbos. I received an email from them today that said , "I only found one record in our service dept for the car: fluid service
and alignment at 50259. They also told me it had just gotten a new
tranmission, but not from us." I haven't asked them what that exactly meant. If you are in the area, I would be grateful if you gave the car a glance over to let me know if I should even consider getting a PPI done.

How difficult are these cars to smog? I know that the OBDII can be a real pain in CA... I was also looking at a car in texas that had new k24 turbos and the owner said that the ecu was sent back to germany for reprogramming. Does that mean that the car won't pass CA emissions? I hate having to worry about passing emissions!

thanks,
Kenny
Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

In CA in general and the bay area especially, I think you are asking for a big headache buying any car that doesn't have a current CA smog inspection.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kennyjr748
Steve, I sent you an email about LeeR's car

CarreraGT- the car comes with the original rear seats and belts, and the original hollow spoke wheels. I asked about the turbos, and the dealership said that the car was still on it's original turbos. I received an email from them today that said , "I only found one record in our service dept for the car: fluid service
and alignment at 50259. They also told me it had just gotten a new
tranmission, but not from us." I haven't asked them what that exactly meant. If you are in the area, I would be grateful if you gave the car a glance over to let me know if I should even consider getting a PPI done.

How difficult are these cars to smog? I know that the OBDII can be a real pain in CA... I was also looking at a car in texas that had new k24 turbos and the owner said that the ecu was sent back to germany for reprogramming. Does that mean that the car won't pass CA emissions? I hate having to worry about passing emissions!

thanks,
Kenny
I wish I could look at the outside of a transaxle and know it's good or bad. I'm happy to look it over just because I like inspecting 993's and I've had some help from Rennnlisters when I was shopping, so this is a rare chance to pay back a little into the commune. : )

You might call ahead to say I might be there to ask a lot of questions, dump the clutch in 1st on the rev-limiter as a "test" and confirm the top speed claim on the way to Fernley to check the brakes and dampers etc.

Adam
Old 12-12-2006, 01:05 AM
LeeR
Racer

Steve, thanks for the mention.

Kenny, my car is still available at $61K. I'll send you an email with the information on the car. -Lee.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
In CA in general and the bay area especially, I think you are asking for a big headache buying any car that doesn't have a current CA smog inspection.
I tend to agree, but given the AWD status of the 993 Turbo, it should be the idle test only and this can be done at a check-only station if the car fails a regular check. I've seen some impossibly over the top modified engines (Bob's) pass at a check station. As long as it has functional cats and can set the readiness codes, it's possible. But again, I tend to agree that unless you just "have to have" that one particular car, if it can't pass smog in CA (as a stipulation in the purchase contract) then forget it.
For this situation I wonder if it might be possible, since NV is a "neighboring State" it might be possible to ask to have the car driven to Truckee (f'rinstance) or somewhere for a CA smog check. If it goes into the computer, you're done, if it fails and the cause is not easily resolved, forget it.
The same precaution would be true for title, lemon, VIN check etc.
I really like the idea of passing a car like this through a friendly Porsche dealer to get a CPO but I don't know if Porsche even offers a CPO on 993's any more.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 AM
kennyjr748
Advanced

Adam- I sent them an email telling them that you might be stopping by! Many thanks.

Lee- I eagerly await your email!

thanks

Kenny
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 AM
lthatch
Racer

Default 993tt in Reno

I know a bit about this car. PM me.
Leonard
Old 12-12-2006, 04:08 AM
kennyjr748
Advanced

Originally Posted by lthatch
Leonard

PM sent!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 AM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Leonard
Is this the car that Dave at C+C worked on ? Ill be in Reno Wed to Fri ...I also could stop by and take a look... Eric
Old 12-12-2006, 01:44 PM
kennyjr748
Advanced

Originally Posted by AiRick
Is this the car that Dave at C+C worked on ? Ill be in Reno Wed to Fri ...I also could stop by and take a look... Eric

I'm not sure who's worked on this car. Is C+C a Reno shop? If this is the car, then I would love to contact Dave to get more information. Adam aka Carrera GT is going to try to see the car today if he has time. If he can't get to it, I would be grateful if you could stop by and look at it! Thanks!

Kenny

Quick Reply: 993TT in Reno