Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you ever change the color of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:37 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you ever change the color of your car?

I was at the body shop the other day getting an estimate for a front end refresh on my car. While I was there, I did the whole “while it’s here” thing. We talked about rocker panels, filling the holes in the bumper, Euro bumper conversion, ect.

So I start asking myself, “Self, at what point do you make this thing what you really wanted, Seal Grey?”

I love the Arena Red. It has a Classic Grey interior. My 997 was Seal and it is an awesome color. I like it better than AR but only slightly. I looked high and low for a grey 997. The closest I got was a 993 in jolly old England.

What do you guys think that would do to the resale? What would it do to the integrity of the car?

I have NO idea how much it would cost, just something I have been thinking about. If I would recoup it in resale, I might go for it.

Tom
Old 11-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

You could harm your resale value when you decide to sell. Most Porsche owners that buy these cars ask about the paint. A re-paint and color change will most likely cost you 10% in value.

Last edited by Kevin; 11-26-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:15 PM
jmcd33
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by md11plt
I was at the body shop the other day getting an estimate for a front end refresh on my car. While I was there, I did the whole “while it’s here” thing. We talked about rocker panels, filling the holes in the bumper, Euro bumper conversion, ect.

So I start asking myself, “Self, at what point do you make this thing what you really wanted, Seal Grey?”

I love the Arena Red. It has a Classic Grey interior. My 997 was Seal and it is an awesome color. I like it better than AR but only slightly. I looked high and low for a grey 997. The closest I got was a 993 in jolly old England.

What do you guys think that would do to the resale? What would it do to the integrity of the car?

I have NO idea how much it would cost, just something I have been thinking about. If I would recoup it in resale, I might go for it.

Tom
Im definitely going to paint mine. I just need to get educated on who to do it and make a decision as to what color. I have seen some dubious paint jobs and depreciation issues aside (which i could care less about), a poor or mediocre paint job is far worse than the fading and chips ive got.

I have seen some absolutely beautiful cars in the grays but the nicest turbo i have ever seen was a black/black 996 GT2. I probably would have bought blk/blk if i had found one before i found mine. A black paint job has got to be perfect though i suspect. I just wish I knew where to do it.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:19 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i had mine completely repainted, but kept the original color and did a euro bumper conversion, i dont know how it will affect the resale value but one thing is for sure no one here or anywhere has ever heard of another horizon blue metallic 993tt, i think this is the only one in the US. Go for what you want, and dont look back after all its you that has to look at the car everytime you approach it for a drive

Best of luck

Sebastian
Old 11-26-2006, 01:44 AM
md11plt
Pro

There was a pic of a grey TT in a post some time ago. I think that one was a paint to sample. People went nuts over it. I don't know if anyone has attempted this before with a TT. It may be sacrilegious! At the same time, I think the exclusivity of a well done Seal TT could make it worth while.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

There was a pic of a grey TT in a post some time ago. I think that one was a paint to sample. People went nuts over it. I don't know if anyone has attempted this before with a TT. It may be sacrilegious! At the same time, I think the exclusivity of a well done Seal TT could make it worth while.
Here you go. Insane with red interior.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=63397
Old 11-26-2006, 12:27 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you looked into a vinyl wrap on the entire car. It covers the entire exterior and is reversable. You can do any color or graphic possible. I don't think it is very expensive.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:30 PM
md11plt
Pro

Yup. That's it! YOU ARE NOT HELPING!

Tim, tell me more. Do you have any contact info?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:16 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
Here you go. Insane with red interior.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=63397
do it! (well, as long as your making your decision on looks, not resale value...)
Old 11-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Yup. That's it! YOU ARE NOT HELPING!

Tim, tell me more. Do you have any contact info?
Was wondering what color the interior is since it doesn't look like Can Can to me.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:49 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't do it. To do it right the car would have to be completely disassembled and stripped. I would guess it would run at least $30K and not a penny would be recovered at resale(and every car is eventually sold).
Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
md11plt
Pro

My guess is that you are right. This is more an exercise in theory I’m afraid.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 PM
bkniep
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

The best deal I've seen on a TT (based solely on miles/$$$) was a purple car for sale in Chicago for under $60K with 26K miles. The problem of course was the color (is it Vesuvio???). Someone bought the car and was trying to flip it for low 70s. I think the bruise color scheme has made this vehicle lose 15+%. I wonder if it could be offset with a full paint job.

I really considered buying and repainting, but ended up with an Arena Red machine. Safe choice.
Bill
Old 11-27-2006, 12:29 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's not CanCan... not bright enough. But the exterior is gorgeous.

bkniep... personally, i really like Vesuvio... saw a C2S in it a few days ago and drooled.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:32 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Though I'd probably go one darker. Slate grey maybe? Seal just seems to look a little too light in the flesh...

Quick Reply: Would you ever change the color of your car?