Sponsored by:

What a nice gesture!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 535 Posts
Default What a nice gesture!

A few weeks ago I came across a 993TT that I had to pass on and offered it to a few fellow Rennlisters. Well, one of them bought the car and is very happy with it. I asked for nothing in the exchange as I just wanted to help another lister find their dream car as I would hope someone will do the same for me one day. Well, yesterday a package arrives from Amazon with the Essential 993 and a gorgeous hardcover Porsche 911 book inside. I'm telling my wife that I didn't order the books when she sees the shipper inside with a nice note from the Rennlister thanking me for my help. Wow, what a super gesture! I am heavily involved in the collector car world and must say that this was one of the most thoughtful thank you's that I have ever received.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:31 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedder
A few weeks ago I came across a 993TT that I had to pass on and offered it to a few fellow Rennlisters. Well, one of them bought the car and is very happy with it. I asked for nothing in the exchange as I just wanted to help another lister find their dream car as I would hope someone will do the same for me one day. Well, yesterday a package arrives from Amazon with the Essential 993 and a gorgeous hardcover Porsche 911 book inside. I'm telling my wife that I didn't order the books when she sees the shipper inside with a nice note from the Rennlister thanking me for my help. Wow, what a super gesture! I am heavily involved in the collector car world and must say that this was one of the most thoughtful thank you's that I have ever received.
Random acts of kindness. It's what restores our faith in mankind. Rennlisters are a cut above! Keep smiling!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 11-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Who ended up buying the car?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:21 PM
burton
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone. I was the recipient of Zedder's generosity. I e-mailed Zedder for the contact info on the 40k mile polar silver '96 TT that he chose to not to buy, and I found myself in Michigan getting a PPI and driving the car home ten days later. Without all of the time he spent with me -- a total stranger -- sharing his insights about the car and its former owner, there's no way I would have pursued buying a car that far away from home. Only on Rennlist.

I was going to wait to introduce myself until I bought a digital camera and took some pictures, so please forgive me. The car is currently in the shop getting looked over by my local mechanic. As soon as I get it back from the shop, I'll post some pictures of the TT along side my other 993, a '95 coupe.

I couldn't be happier, the car has been great. The trip home was uneventful, thankfully. No smoke on start up, and it hasn't burned any oil in 1,000 miles. The issues that I'm having my mechanic look into are a rock hard clutch when starting the car (accumulator / slave cylinder) and spongy brakes. I think there's some air in the brake system since I hear what I understand to be the ABS pump going off when I use the brakes.

Many thanks again to Zedder, to Gerry (nine45s) who also looked at the car and agreed to speak with me on the phone, and to Steve Weiner for all of his time and advice -- what a knowledgeable gentleman. I have used the search function extensively in the last few weeks. It's amazing how many subjects have been covered. So thank you to all who have made the archives as rich as they are: ca993twin, Kevin, Rassel, 911/Q45, Woodster, Mark in AK, etc.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Kiko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a gesture!!! I've met a handful of people like you in my life.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by burton
The issues that I'm having my mechanic look into are a rock hard clutch when starting the car
The 996tt has a servo on the clutch that only operates when the engine is running - hence why it is hard on cranking. Just leave the 'box in neutral for starting and depress the clutch after it starts to engage 1st gear.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:21 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

NineMeister, that is the case for a 996tt not so with a 1996 993tt.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:22 PM
burton
Rennlist Member

My (new to me) car is a '96 993, not a 996. I thought there was an accumulator on the 993 that provides residual clutch assist pressure after the car is shut off? There is no assist on my car within an hour of shutting it down.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The very heavy clutch is standard until the server kicks in, you should be able to depress the clutch with effort though before it kicks in.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The accumulator will provide assist if it is functioning properly. A good one will hold pressure for a month, so you've definitely got a bad one. The pump noise you hear on start up and after use is the power brake pump pressurizing. The noise can be reduced by retrofitting the 1997 noise reduction mod. This noise has nothing to do with your spongy brakes.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by schnele
NineMeister, that is the case for a 996tt not so with a 1996 993tt.
Thanks, a mere slip of the key finger. I meant '96 tt which is servo assisted on the clutch, only turbo not to have one is the 993GT2 from what I have seen.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:37 AM
burton
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
The pump noise you hear on start up and after use is the power brake pump pressurizing. The noise can be reduced by retrofitting the 1997 noise reduction mod. This noise has nothing to do with your spongy brakes.
Thanks for all of the responses.

911/Q45 - How often should I hear the power brake pump pressurize? Once when I start the car, every time I use the brakes, or somewhere in between? I don't mind the noise, but do you know the part # for the 1997 noise reduction mod? Is it a factory part?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:38 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The pump will cycle whenever the pressure gets below a certain threshold, so somewhere in between. The noise reduction is covered by a tech bulletin #9506 and only applies to cars built before 14 July 95. Cars after that came with it already installed. With the kit, you can still hear the pump but it's much quieter. Let me know if you have an early build car and I'll list the part #s, which are all factory parts.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:40 PM
burton
Rennlist Member

The pump will cycle whenever the pressure gets below a certain threshold, so somewhere in between.
I hear this pump almost everytime I use the brakes. Does that imply that there isn't enough pressure or that there's air in the system?

The noise reduction is covered by a tech bulletin #9506 and only applies to cars built before 14 July 95. Cars after that came with it already installed. With the kit, you can still hear the pump but it's much quieter. Let me know if you have an early build car and I'll list the part #s, which are all factory parts.
Thanks in advance for the noise reduction part #s. I'm almost certain my car has a May or June 95 build date. I will ask my shop to check the plate inside the driver's door.

Quick Reply: What a nice gesture!