Sponsored by:

531hp RS-Tuning 993tt in Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 531hp RS-Tuning 993tt in Las Vegas

Has anyone considered or looked at this car? It's at Lamborghini Las Vegas, and has been on ebay a number of times. Recently, I have been corresponding with TB regarding the particulars of the engine, and am contemplating buying it. The dealer knows very little about the car, but after speaking with the PO, reading through the German-language service records from RS, doing some RL searches, and getting TB's informed opinions, here's what I understand.
This is a 96tt PolarSilver/Black with 33k mi. The only apparent paintwork is the Turbo S front spoiler, but its got its share of touched up rock chips on the nose. It started as a US car, but by 1997 it was in Germany, and, at about 15k km, received RS-Tuning's GT2 upgrade. This involved new pistons, camshaft with solid lifters, huge intercooler, ECU, upgraded turbos, secondary oil cooler, transmission fluid cooler, 2 fuel pumps, exhaust, clutch, and tires. It was dyno'd at "531 PS", "804 NM", and "390 KW". About 6 months later, RS installed a Turbo S front spoiler and some other stuff that eludes my (negligible) German. It received RS Tuning service in Germany and Switzerland for about 2 years. Mileage is consistent. The records I have suggest that about 80k-plus DM were spent over this period.
Carfax shows it back in the US in 7-02. It was then owned by someone in Phoenix for about 3 years and 3k miles. In 2005 it was sold to the PO in Las Vegas, who drove it regularly for 1.5 years, accumulating about 7k miles before trading it in on a 360 Stradale. He installed PSS9s, did brake pads and rotors, had a turbo fail and get replaced, and generally maintained the vehicle to a high standard. He reports about 5 track days. I have spoken with him several times and have spoken with his mechanic in LV, Kent at Premier Sportscars. They have had nothing negative to say about the car, other than the engine will require valve adjustment at some interval and substantial expense.
I've got a PPI with compression and leakdown scheduled for next week with Kent.
Can this car to be expected to be a reliable daily driver or is it a 10 year old moneypit to be avoided? Given the limited support for Porsche in Santa Fe, I will need to take all significant engine issues to a mechanic about 1.5 hrs away or further.
I have had really good experiences with my 9 years of NA 993 ownership. I just drive around town and do road trips, I don't track or do DE events.
Am I making a mistake chasing this modified tt? Should I stick with an unmodded or lightly modded car if I want to conserve $$ and time at the mechanic's, or is this car just too cool to pass up?
Please feel free to correct any mistakes or misconceptions regarding my description of the car.
TIA. And thanks to TB for his generous and intelligent communication!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Awesome car!

Your ownership experience will certainly be different from your tame, non-tracked 993.
This is alot of car...and then some. Have you ever owned anything that performed like this?
If maintenance $ concerns are a factor, understand this is a very high performance supercar.

Good luck, it would be alot of fun
(Yes I am an ex 993TT high performance owner)

MK
Old 11-16-2006, 02:53 PM
lthatch
Racer

I am kind of surprised at the lack of response to my post. I sthere anyone local to Las vegas and familiar with tts that could look at the car for me prior to PPI?. Does anyone know the car from Phoenix/Scottsdale?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Try posting your question on the 993 board. Looks like a nice car.

Last edited by Bradford; 11-16-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

With your previous 993 experience and planned usage, I would say an unmodified tt would be more appropriate for you. This radical a car will be far more difficult to service and troubleshoot, especially since you have to travel to get it done. If you did decide to track, it would be a very tough car to handle and if you don't track, what would you need all the mods for? A stock tt will give you plenty of bragging rites without suffering any of the discomfort or inconvenience of this car.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:26 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

If you’re considering buying a modified Porsche is there any better than RS Tuning or Ruff? Also it seams to have a full history and the worst thing the previous owner said is that it will need a valve adjustment at the next service, if that isn't good enough what is? You obviously want something special, that's about as special as air cooled porkers get, buy it

And then give it to me
Old 11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
lthatch
Racer

All opinions appreciated!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in Las Vegas and could take a peek for you. What is your timetable as I likely won't be able to get up there until Monday/Tuesday next week. Kent is AWESOME at Premiere Sportscar so you have the right independent shop looking at it.

PM me with details if you would like me to go up there.

John
Old 11-16-2006, 05:42 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBL930
And then give it to me
Have you no shame?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

If you decide to buy it, why don't u come to pick it up and we could run it against my stock tt. I am very curious as to how much faster modded ones are but i don't know if we need any faster especially on the streets.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:04 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

rinlv1,

Do we NEED faster? Does it make any sense at all? Hell no. D\Logic doesn't seem to get in the way of most of us though.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Ima2nr
Instructor

CA993TWIN- or to most of us -old fartus emeritus....

how is the acceleration of a Scion XB vs. the RUF 993? the Scion is senseable transportation at it's very finest... from point X to point B in 37.4 seconds...

can I answer it? >>(there is no comparison! once you eat the forbidden fruit you will never be satisfied with corn flakes for breakfast)

Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 AM
fore!
Instructor

Let me put it like this... Your 993 is like the wife - familiar, comfortable, friendly. The exotic is like a mistress - thrilling, expensive and temporary.

If you're having problems reading the specifications on the car, what till something needs fixing. Wrench's here won't understand what's in there, you'll have a nightmare talking with Germany, sourcing parts, tech data, etc. The local guys will get you running but chances are it won't be as it left RS Tuning or how they intended it to run.

To handle the power, you know the clutch will the heavy. There'll be a very light flywheel so it'll be a bi*&h to drive in traffic, and because it's high HP output, the heat generated will get you real nervous in heavy traffic.

Exotics are like a mistress - they're not daily drivers. They're take them out and play now and then. Be prepared to show you love them (with your wallet..)

We'd all have both if we could. Would you wife allow it?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:09 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by fore!
Let me put it like this... Your 993 is like the wife - familiar, comfortable, friendly. The exotic is like a mistress - thrilling, expensive and temporary.

If you're having problems reading the specifications on the car, what till something needs fixing. Wrench's here won't understand what's in there, you'll have a nightmare talking with Germany, sourcing parts, tech data, etc. The local guys will get you running but chances are it won't be as it left RS Tuning or how they intended it to run.

To handle the power, you know the clutch will the heavy. There'll be a very light flywheel so it'll be a bi*&h to drive in traffic, and because it's high HP output, the heat generated will get you real nervous in heavy traffic.

Exotics are like a mistress - they're not daily drivers. They're take them out and play now and then. Be prepared to show you love them (with your wallet..)

We'd all have both if we could. Would you wife allow it?
I can't disagree with the "thrust" of the above however RS street engines are very much daily drivers, they won't overheat and the clutch will not be heavier (still hydraulic) although it may well be sharper and more difficult as with any LWFW clutch.
The only non Porsche parts will be the turbos,exhaust system and cams, everything else should have a Porsche part number stamped on it.
Having said that I do agree, one has to be "committed" to take on a car like this but IMO the rewards are worth it
Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just reviving this thread so folks will know that this amazing beast of a 993TT is still available. I've been looking at it over the last few weeks and TB993tt has been more than generous in helping me understand what this car represents.

Anyway, primarily due to concerns over lifter maintanence and the 91 octane we have out here in California, I have decided to pass on pursuing the car. But for those looking for a very special 993TT, this car is legitimate and fairly priced (IMHO).

If anyone is truly interested, feel free to pm me and I'll let you know what I have learned. It would be nice to give this car a proper Rennlist home.

Quick Reply: 531hp RS-Tuning 993tt in Las Vegas