Sponsored by:

Best way to lower a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 10:56 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to lower a daily driver

I am reading about ROW M030 springs , Eibach, H & R....which is best for a daily driver <weather permitting of course>.

I rarely race except for the occasional red light or high speed roll on.

I am in Boston and all it's potholes.

Any experience passed on will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:28 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have a Turbo, you could just get the ROW M030 springs (Turbo std.) and be done with it. The best spring choice for the stock shocks.

For further info, look here: Robin's 993 suspension options
Old 11-02-2001, 01:00 AM
jessejames
Instructor

It is a Turbo. I looked at Robin's site... "Porsche ROW, Eibach, H&R springs" are mentioned with turbo M030. Which are the best for me? No 'official' racing' and Boston roads.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:45 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by jessejames:
<STRONG>It is a Turbo. I looked at Robin's site... "Porsche ROW, Eibach, H&R springs" are mentioned with turbo M030. Which are the best for me? No 'official' racing' and Boston roads.</STRONG>
I can't say which one is BEST (since that is opinion). However, to answer some of your other questions:-
RoW = Rest of World (i.e. commonly used term for all countries where Porsche sells the car apart from the US and Canada). And RoW, like the US/Can spec cars can come in standard non-sport or sport form. For the US though ride ht is the same whether it is sport or non-sport suspension.
Your USA turbo (you are in the USA right?) already has a sport suspension (standard on turbo). HOwever ride height is higher than the European turbo suspension (also std sport). Therefore, if you are looking to get to Euro ride height specs, the M030 (sport) RoW turbo upgrade would get you there in terms of Euro ride height. As regards advisability, thats your call based on many factors but Porsche RoW M030 turbo suspension upgrade, as explained on that web link provided above, would be factory parts and the way a 993turbo was designed for roads in Germany.

I believe that the stock suspension (be it US or Euro spec) probably offers the most comfortable ride. Lower, however, will generally (though probably not always) compromise some comfort while offering more sportiness and feedback provided work is done right and matching shocks and other parts are used. Lowering in the wrong way is a recipe for bottoming out not just on potholed areas but also when you go over simple rail track bumps on Comm ave that you may have missed while gazing at student driven Modenas

Whatever the suspension, best to avoid potholes. They are almost as bad for the car whether you feel them or not.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:12 AM
jessejames
Instructor

Talking

After a little more research, it would appear the ROW spring on my US Turbo will drop the car about 20+mm, maybe an inch and Eibach will lower abour 40mm in the front and 20mm in the rear.

Spring rates are unkown to me. I assume the ROW would be similar to what I have no idea as to the an Eibach-ROW comparison.

Anyone with Eibach? on a US M030 car?

Thanks.

Ran, I did rear end a car on my M/C on Comm Ave doing a double take at a female type student with a great set of 'teeth'...ya 'teeth'..
Old 11-02-2001, 11:37 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

<STRONG>After a little more research, it would appear the ROW spring on my US Turbo will drop the car about 20+mm, maybe an inch and Eibach will lower abour 40mm in the front and 20mm in the rear.

Spring rates are unkown to me. I assume the ROW would be similar to what I have no idea as to the an Eibach-ROW comparison.

Anyone with Eibach? on a US M030 car?
Thanks.</STRONG>
I have Porsche Euro RS Front and Rear adjustable anti-roll bars (swaybars) - 2 way adjustable front and 3 way adjustable rear; Front and rear adjustable Bilstein gas shocks; polyurethane bushings. Click on my "911 turbo" signature to see a close up of my car. I like the ride but it is a very personal decision.

<STRONG>Ran, I did rear end a car on my M/C on Comm Ave doing a double take at a female type student with a great set of 'teeth'...ya 'teeth'.. </STRONG>
See I told ya so Interestingly, I first typed "backpacks" and then changed to "Modena" since this is a car forum (though when i was there it was the then latest model). I've been in that town during my own backpack days and cut my own teeth on some great sports cars too courtesy the student population around Comm. Ave. Comm. Ave. materialism was great encouragement to do well for a car enthusiast since across the river there was only the feeding of the pigeons
Old 11-02-2001, 12:13 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Both Eibach and H&R lowering springs are too soft and will lower the car more than ideally. If you are not changing shocks, stick with ROW M030.
Old 11-02-2001, 07:28 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Jesse; First of all, keep an eye out for that dirty little coward, Mr. Howard!

After having said that I had Eibach springs and stock shocks on my 993 C2. The Eibach's were labeled "RSR". But the combination was not the best in my opinion. The Eibach's made the car too low and I scraped the nose alot out here in SoCal.

My theory would be that it would depend upon how much money you have. If you have lot's of money (after all you have robbed all those trains ) then you might consider the H&R or some other coil-over kit. These kits have a high degree of adjustability and would allow you to "fine-tune" your suspension somewhat. This could end up being important if you do run into a lot of pot hole induced problems. I don't think the ride is going to be a big deal for you coming from the TT anyway.

If you don't have so much lucre then go to the ROW M030. While you don't have the ability to fine adjust as much you will lower the car so that it is pleasant aesthetically but it won't be totally "slammed" and a pot hole problem (hopefully).

GLC
Old 11-03-2001, 01:33 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Thanks all.
I have a clear picture now ROW or H&R complete. Gert says change the rear shocks and sway bar as well to get to ROW suspension.

Gary Cooper - Didn't you play Jesse James once before you died?

Old 11-06-2001, 07:20 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Naw, that was Henry Fonda before he died.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:20 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool

I have the the ROW M030 springs on my US 993TT. I still have the stock rear sway bar and I have a shortened (machined) rear shocks (to compensate for the shorter springs).

I have to say that the ROW M030 will definitely ride much stiffer than the stock US 993 turbo.

I definitely prefer the ROW lowered and stiffer set-up, especially at the track. However riding over less than smooth roads, you will definitely notice the stiffer/shorter ROW M030 springs.

I have not changed the rear bar yet since I am considering the adjustable bars.

The next step to the ROW M030 would be the Bilstein PSS9 adjustable coil over kit.

Pram
96 993TT
Old 01-05-2002, 08:21 PM
jessejames
Instructor

I drove a 993 with Eibachs and Bilsteins. the car wan't too low and the ride was perhaps just a little softer than my USA M030 rally look 993TT.

I have to make up my mind on the shocks/ springs as a package. The Eibachs are in but I don't want to repeat the labor process twice.

Will the M030 shocks work with the Eibachs?
Old 01-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

<STRONG>Will the M030 shocks work with the Eibachs?</STRONG>
Yes, the Eibach lowering springs will work with the M030 shocks but they will lower the car too much because they are too soft. Your best bet is still the ROW M030 springs or a complete coilover setup.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:39 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

This message is for JesseJames

The US M030 rear shocks might have travel problem with the shorter Eibach springs. On my earlier post I mentioned that I have to shorten the shaft on my M030 rear shocks for the shorter ROW M030 springs.

The front US M030 shocks and ROW M030 shocks are the same but the rear ROW M030 shocks has shorter shaft length than the US version.

The problem of using US M030 shocks with the shorter springs might be hitting the bump stops prematurely.

I would advise at least getting the rear ROW M030 shocks if you do not have access to a facility that can machine/shorten the US M030 rear shocks shaft (I had mine done at Andial).

HTH,
Pram
96 993TT
Old 01-06-2002, 01:27 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by PramTT:
<STRONG>I would advise at least getting the rear ROW M030 shocks if you do not have access to a facility that can machine/shorten the US M030 rear shocks shaft (I had mine done at Andial).</STRONG>
I also had my rear M030 shocks modified by Andial a few years ago. At the time, I was told that this modification was not required for the Eibach springs because they did not unsettle while the car was lifted. I am guessing this has to do with the differences in spring rates but can't be sure.

Also, there are quite a few cars running the ROW M030 springs with unmodified US M030 shocks without any problems. It appears that this does not happen on all cars.

Quick Reply: Best way to lower a daily driver