Sponsored by:

Yoko Advan A048 at the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:46 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Yoko Advan A048 at the track

Spent last weekend at Willow Springs at the Pantera/Ferrari club event. This event is held twice a year and brings out some nice iron, more on that later.

My goal was to test the Yoko Advan A048 as an alternative to some other tarrs.
I've sold my tow vehicle and trailer, so that really limits the use of super sticky Hoosiers which have been my first choice. Since, I will be driving the car to the track, I need a more durable shoes that will get me there and back.
I'm posting this on the 993tt board as one of the downsides of tire shopping is size, and it does matter with all-wheel drive. Matching diameter for front and rear can be tricky. The Yoko's however, are very porsche friendly as they have the right combination I was looking for.

I opted for 315/30/18 rear on 11X18 wheels with the fronts being 235/40/18 on 9x18. The rears fit with no rubbing and look better than the 295's I'd been considering. There was a some info on the boards as to tire pressure and nothing on camber setting.

Many reports complained of noise. Who cares, turn up the radio, these are suppose to be circuit tires, not Vogue premium white walls. Next complaint I read was they were greasy compared to MPSC. I guess whoever wrote that never had the sudden break away that I and others have experienced with the MPSC.
Saturday turned out to be perfect with temps in the high 70s. I started with cold pressures of 25 front and 27 rear on my drive form the hotel (two stars)
to the track. After the first run session I adjusted pressures to 33 front and 35 rear hot. I forgot my tyre pyrometer, so I was unable to take temp reading and that is a big disadvantage. But most average users don't use one anyway.

Intital feel was grippy without much heat unlike MPSC. Tires were very predictable. Lots of warning when they started to break away. Dropped pressures to 32 ft and 34 rear and was a lot better grip. I'm running 3 deg neg front and 2.8 rear. Tire wear was even with this set up. As the track came in the tires got faster. Lap times about the same as MPSC, but slower than Pirelli Corsa's and 2-3 seconds slower than Hoosiers.

On Sunday the temp got over 80 and I noticed the tires started to get greasy at the end of a 20 minute session or about 8 laps on a 2.5 mile road course. Tires were fast on the second lap and stayed that way until pushed very hard.
They appear to wear well and only several more track days will give the full story or others giving their reports.

I met James Sofronas who drives a porsche on the World Challenge series. He was testing suspension set ups on a 996 GT2. Known as the widowmaker, it seems they have figured out the twichy rear end with the addition of Olins and sway bars. His comment was "we now know what doesn't work"
Also assorted Ferrrai challenge cars (430,s) 360 Straddles, 403's, C6z06's, Lotus Elise's, Vipers, Vipers, and race Vipers, GT3 porsches, CGT's, 993tt, 996tt and a factory BMW M3 race cars. Overall, great weekend. If you like to track your car, this is a great event.
Jimmy
Old 11-09-2006, 02:04 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good stuff Jim! I'll probably try a set soon. Do you think the front size will work with an 8" rim?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dare I ask how these "might" handle in the wet?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:21 PM
red993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by JJayB
I met James Sofronas who drives a porsche on the World Challenge series. He was testing suspension set ups on a 996 GT2. Known as the widowmaker, it seems they have figured out the twichy rear end with the addition of Olins and sway bars. His comment was "we now know what doesn't work"

Jimmy
Jimmy

Can you me anything more about this?

Vincent
Old 11-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red993tt
Jimmy

Vincent
Me to...I would die for some Ohlins info, becouse i have already pursased a set but i cant decide if i need to return them, we have Clubsport and Racig to decide between now i have the Racing ones...

Ps: i ALso have the exakt tire set up as you have, and im very happy with them...
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Dare I ask how these "might" handle in the wet?
I haven't driven them in the rain, the tread pattern looks like it would shead water better than MPSC, which aren't too good. If there as good as Corsa's that would be ok.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red993tt
Jimmy

Vincent
James is a world class driver and keep that in mind. His lap times were blistering. He was driving a moded 996GT2 with about 630 hp. Tyres were Toyo R1's off his race car. 245 in front and 305 in the rear PCCB brakes.
He told me he's done a lot of develpment work on the suspension but pretty much has it dialed in. Next to his GT3 cup car, the GT2 was running about as fast as anything including some race Vipers on slicks.

I was very interested in the PCCB's because of the bad press the Generation 1 have. I watched him haul it down from 160+ lap after lap. Staggering braking. My next porsche will have these binders. If your interested in more details GMG has their shop in Santa Ana CA.
I've seen a fair number of GT2's on the track, but this one actually got my adrenalin pumped, because it ran great and handled like none I've ever seen.

Jimmy
993tt Andial 3.8 twin plug
A bunch of AMG's
Old 11-10-2006, 01:13 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Good stuff Jim! I'll probably try a set soon. Do you think the front size will work with an 8" rim?
Don, no problem. It's within the tire spec. FYI, I've heard a rumor that BFG will be coming out with a new R1 tire.

Jimmy
A bunch of AMG's
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 AM
tlark
Drifting

they cost less than MPSC and Corsa's do they not ??
Old 11-10-2006, 01:34 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
they cost less than MPSC and Corsa's do they not ??
Tire rack quotes $20 bucks less per tire than the MPSC. Corsa's out of production. You might find some better deals around, as Costco I understand will order any Michelin tire.

Jimmy
A bunch of AMG's
Old 11-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got these as well and they're quite a bit less expensive than the MPSC
- it was a difference between for the rear tire about $500 CAD for MPSC and $300 CAD for AO48
Old 11-10-2006, 04:17 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

I haven't driven them in the rain, the tread pattern looks like it would shead water better than MPSC, which aren't too good. If there as good as Corsa's that would be ok.
Thanks, Jimmy
Old 11-10-2006, 01:57 PM
red993tt
Racer

James is a world class driver and keep that in mind. His lap times were blistering. He was driving a moded 996GT2 with about 630 hp. Tyres were Toyo R1's off his race car. 245 in front and 305 in the rear PCCB brakes.
He told me he's done a lot of develpment work on the suspension but pretty much has it dialed in. Next to his GT3 cup car, the GT2 was running about as fast as anything including some race Vipers on slicks.

I was very interested in the PCCB's because of the bad press the Generation 1 have. I watched him haul it down from 160+ lap after lap. Staggering braking. My next porsche will have these binders. If your interested in more details GMG has their shop in Santa Ana CA.
I've seen a fair number of GT2's on the track, but this one actually got my adrenalin pumped, because it ran great and handled like none I've ever seen.

Jimmy
A bunch of AMG's
Thanks Jimmy. I'll give GMG a call...
Old 11-10-2006, 04:21 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

FYI - The Lotus community is seeing rather mixed results with the 048Rs. They defintely heat cycle out more quickly than other R compounds; they seem a lot more like Hoosiers in that regard than say RA1s or MPSCs or Pirelli's. On a light car that is a drag because you end up replacing the tires well before they are worn out. On a heavy car like our Turbos, it may be that they wear out before they heat cycle out.

Anyone have experience with them getting slippery after 3 or 4 track days? Also, how many track days does the tread last? I'm getting about 4 or 5 track days out of the MPSCs and Pirellis.

Quick Reply: Yoko Advan A048 at the track