Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU problem, what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 04:26 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there you go might as well bust some giac fun!
Old 07-05-2003, 11:19 AM
SLVR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corte Loco,

I am wondering if you are betting the wrong horse here. You are assuming it is the ECU coz the plugs don't fire? This seems to say the engine is turning over and you have some way of knowing the plugs fire or not? Also, you have not mentioned if the ECU is the one that the engine last ran with or not... Did the engine run when you purchased it... Why was it such a "bargain"?

If the engine cranks, it seems not to be the immobilizer since that doesn't allow the engine to turn either. There could be a gazilion possible reasons why the engine doesn't fire.... You also don't say if other items on the engine work or not. Are you getting fuel? How long has the car been sitting without use, it's warm down there and the gas is poor, you may need some fresh fuel among others.

Calling a dealer in Florida is a good start but only after you rule out other possibilities and nail down more precisely what functions and what doesn't. It's tough to diagnose a problem from several 1000 miles away and I would not take that answer as the final solution. Any number of sensors may either be marginal, faulty or not connected properly (yes, from experience, always happens when an engine is transplanted.....:-)

If the P-dealer in La Republica de Panama is unwilling to help they either are incompetent or otherwise worried about providing the service. (Most likely the first. I lived south of the border for many years in different countries and having a car fixed is challenging in the best of circumstances)

Don't get me wrong, I am not discounting the guys advising on the ECU, they definitively have a point but there might be something else wrong much easier to fix. Look at it this way, the ECU is a computer > Rubbish in, rubbish out!! If the ECU is getting incorrect sensor input it may be giving the wrong output. Do a visual on the plugs to be sure they don't fire.

Sorry, can't think of anymore, I am even further away than Florida (though I'll be in your region on business for the week.)

Good luck
Louis

PS. Can we have a picture of the Corte Loco?? Is it that unusual??
Old 07-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Hello SLVR97TT, Yes, the engine turns normally and the ECU was from the same car. The engine was not cheap, but I paid arround $18K with 30K kilometers on it(that was the purchased contract said) and we test compression and was VERY GOOD!!! The engine has VP12 racing fuel and unleaded fuel at the moment(50/50). We do a visual and thereīs no signal at all!!! I call Porsche Latin America asking for an answer and they said that car is not homologated to fit with the TT engine, thatīs why there are no warranties on a jor done from them, but I donīt asking for a warranty, Iīm asking for a service, I said, and they would contact the dealer in Panama to see what can they do for me. Exist any difference from a C4S and TT chassis could damage the car if I do a transplant??? Could you send me your email or please contact me at jmurad911@hotmail.com.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:47 AM
SLVR
Pro

Hey CL, sent you email. Are you receiving?

Quick Reply: ECU problem, what to do???