Sponsored by:

ECU problem, what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ECU problem, what to do???

I recently bought a tt engine from Germany with very low mileage(16k) at a very good price to transform my C4S to tt car, but now I found that the computer don´t start the engine, there´s no signal to the spark plugs. I asked a dealer in FL and he told me I need to send the ECU to Germany with all the information on my C4S and the tt engine to re-program it. Is that correct or ???. What to do? Can somebody give me information???

Thank´s for the help guys.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:22 PM
krish
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch, tough one. Sorry don't know anything about this. Will ask around though. Some questions which will hopefully help anyone else who might know something about this, Did your motor come c/w harness and ECU? If you're trying to use your C4S ECU, that might not work. The TTs' ECU also controls boost among other things which your C4S doesn't have to contend with so even the pin arrangements might be different (just guessing here). Your original ECU wiring harness might also not be compatible (again just a guess).

Will ask around and see if I can dig up some info for you.

cheers,
Kris
'97 993tt
'89 535I
'89 300ZXTT
'00 Trackmagic shifter kart
Old 06-28-2003, 02:14 AM
Corte Loco
Racer

Hello Kris, Yes I change the harness and ECU with the tt parts. I also asked the people in Vertex, Miami and the said the same thing, so I´m really lost at this moment on what to do. They told me there´s a warning part in the computer that control the program in the ECU to prevent thefth engines installed on other cars and the only solution is send the ECU to Germany to make it compatible with my car, but my question is, how the people who sell re-programed ECU with upgraded HP like Gemballa, RUF, FVD, etc... do to make it compatible??? They only ask for an exchange... and how the other people who make engine transplant do that change??? Any guess???

Thank´s for your help body and if you know more on your research please let me know...
Old 06-28-2003, 02:52 AM
vrus
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Corte Loco:
<strong>Hello Kris, Yes I change the harness and ECU with the tt parts. I also asked the people in Vertex, Miami and the said the same thing, so I´m really lost at this moment on what to do. They told me there´s a warning part in the computer that control the program in the ECU to prevent thefth engines installed on other cars and the only solution is send the ECU to Germany to make it compatible with my car, but my question is, how the people who sell re-programed ECU with upgraded HP like Gemballa, RUF, FVD, etc... do to make it compatible??? They only ask for an exchange... and how the other people who make engine transplant do that change??? Any guess???

Thank´s for your help body and if you know more on your research please let me know...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">From what I understand your VIN has to be coded into the ECU in order to have the security system in the car working properly. If the ECU isnt coded to the VIN it wont start the car.

I will confirm this with my tuner... But I am pretty sure this is what I was told when I got my new ECU.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:12 AM
Corte Loco
Racer

That´s what I meant Victor, sorry for not been more specific.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as reprogramming the ECU, check the archives.

There are several options:

a) Go to the dealer and have the ECU reprogrammed to your car

b) During ECU reprogramming, you can have the drive block disabled, but the drive block light will be on all the time

Additionally, I noticed that when I changed to another factory ECU ( turbo S in my case ), I didn't have to reprogram the ECU. Probably becauase it was a factory replacement???

Tell us if your immob light is on or not.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Todd Knighten at Protomotive may be able to just remove the immobilizer to solve your problem.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I wish I understood this issue better. I bought a used Gemballa ECU, plugged it in, and it worked perfectly. The immobilizer is still functional (I would have preferrred it disabled, BTW). There was no "VIN coding" done on my car. Along these lines, I heard that if you buy a NEW ECU, you must have a Porsche dealer program it (VIN Code?) for your car. This must be done, even if you then send that new ECU for reprogramming to an aftermarket performance shop. So, why did my used ECU just work, and Corte Loco's didn't?
Old 06-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
It could be just that it is a Euro motor and ECU is not compatible with his harness. Corto, did You change the engine harness and the DME harness in addition to the ECU(DME)?
Old 06-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Hello Glen, yes I change the harness, DME and engine. My C4s is an euro specs as the tt engine. How can I dissable the inmobilizer? The dealer can solve my problem with the diagnosis computer they ussualy use to read trouble shooting on these cars??? There´s something I can do by myself? I´ll contact the dealer on monday to know what can they do for me. If anyone knows more please let me know.

Thank´s for your help guys!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Ok guys, I´m not sure if I´m wrong or crazy, but the dealer said they can´t fix my car because my car lost the factory specification when I change the engine. I don´t know Porsche politics on this, but sounds amazing for me when talked with the owner and he said that!!!! Now I have my new engine into my car with no response from nobody. Can sombody give me a help to solve it? Anyone can made an adaption before? I probably contact Mr. Startzel in FL. to ask him Porsche politics on fix cars that came from another shop. If someone knows any dealer or shop can help me I really appreciate the effort.

Regards,

Jorge A. Murad
Vice-President
Porsche Club Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Old 07-04-2003, 03:35 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you need to get a tuner ecu. Send one of the ecu's out to giac or contact them they are pretty knowledgable and the tuner for 996's now. I bet you will have luck. You can also call gemballa of north america in malibu. Heinz is very knowledgable as well.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:40 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The ECU can be programmed and set to work with this motor. The only reason the dealer would say they can not program it would be if it was from a 96 car. The 96 TT ecu is not tuneable. We do 97 TT ECUs all day long. I suspect that the driveblock is active and killing the system. If you email me your numbers off of the ECU I can tell you what year the ECU is from. If it is from a 97 we can reprogram it to work and give you a little increase at the same time
Old 07-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Corte Loco
Racer

Thank´s for the information Sean and Stephen.
The DME is from a 97 car and info is as follows:

BOSCH 0.261.204.377
TYPE 993.618.611.00

VIN from my 1997 C4S: WPO ZZZ 99 ZVC 310 708

Both, engine and car are European specs.

Please send me the cost for reprogramming, shipping to Republic of Panama and your address.

Best regards,

J. Murad
Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is a good number. It can be tuned. Check your email

Quick Reply: ECU problem, what to do???