Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 tt price

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 01:46 PM
midwest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are lots of posts on this and the 993 web site here about the CEL coming on on low and mid mileage cars, caused by some "clogging" of an air intake that is only used in startup. Basically, a fault of Porsche's and to completely cure it requires a $5k rebuild. If you have such a condition, the smog guys will reject it even though the sniffer shows you are in compliance.
I searched on check emission light, and found lots of stories - on stock cars.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:52 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe I missed the connection thread here. You are looking at a car that has a CEL condition? Is it at a dealership? You need to get the codes and find out what it will take to properly correct the problem. This may put you in a strong negotiating position, if you actually have an inexpensive fix for this. On such fix may be a custom ECU program that simply won't throw a CEL for the clogged intake (if that indeed is the code). I'm not sure this is possible, but a custom ECU can also get you some more horsepower. Not that we need any more, but what the hey...
Old 04-29-2003, 02:17 PM
midwest
Instructor

Yeah, I drove it (friend's car but being sold through a dealer) and the CE light came on. Don't really feel like negotiating with a friend, and I like the car.

Hence did lots of reading up in the last several days.

To replace the '96 ECU though requires a new expensive board from the '97, I am told. A couple of $k. It all adds up.

I am sure that it is a clogged intake code, but will know today. That seems to be the symptoms everyone reports or misfirings.

Wonder if it is a wiring harness recall too.

Or maybe the air pump.

But the key seems to be that the engine isn't affected, but getting them smogged every couple of years may be.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:12 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

kris,
if you think 120k is alot...
try closer to 500k for us over here
Old 04-29-2003, 06:58 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

The check engine light can come on for any number of reasons - most of them benign. I was working with my intercooler and forgot to plug in the intake temp sensor - guess what - the check engine light came on. No big deal. My mechanic reset it for me.

I have not heard much about clogged intakes in relation to 993TTs. I seem to remember there being a fair amount of discussion about something like that on the 993 N/A board.

Quick Reply: 993 tt price