Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't sleep after a test drive, what do i do? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:24 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,283 Likes on 613 Posts
Unhappy can't sleep after a test drive, what do i do? (long)

i've been staring at the ceiling for an hour, so i decided to get up and share an experience with you guys. let me start with this- I am going crazy for a 993TT.
Not a revelation. it's our common denominator. Well today I get behind the wheel of a completed project car, one of those really usable, someone poured all their mortgage payments into it, one of those "I could live with this, no...i need this right now " kind of cars.

I don't want to jinx it, but I'll say it's got a legit 550+ hp. can't have some rich rennlister swooping on it, so no description yet.

It's a touch more expensive than i was prepared to pay- but like you guys say- it's way cheaper to buy one that's finished rather than one that's just getting started. Mileage is a bit high for my preferences (over 50k), but the condition is top notch, and there is nothing left to do besides get a 3 spoke steering wheel. If I don't buy it, one of you guys will. I'm the first person to see it or drive it. So out of fear, joy and idiocy, i tell the guy it's basically a done deal -gimme the weekend to sort out the cash factor.

Problem is- I told my ex-teammate about 5 times that i would buy his car if he ever sold it. I told him the same thing 3 weeks ago. his car is dialed in also- but i've never driven it, so i don't know how useable it is. He told me that there was an oil issue and it was going into the shop when he called me 25 days ago. Should I be worried about that?

96 TT. black, tan, c/f interior, full aerokit, custom engine, custom stereo 19.ooo miles, 19" rims. one celebrity owner since new. he said it's got over 550hp, and he said he'd give me a good deal for it (something around low $70's i think)

I don't think he really wants to sell it. at least not bad enough to call me more than twice since january. To compound it, I tried both of his phone numbers, one was disconnected and the other one was a woman's voicemail. which I have twice called with no returned call

so i guess my options are

a)buy the one i drove today-damn him for teasing me since spring training 2005! make him wait...
b) I wait- risking losing todays masterpiece, and also risking that he might not want to sell it.
c) buy the one from today, and if my buddy calls me, sell my sweet C2S and buy his too?

Am I completely insane to think about running 2 993 turbos? I have a benz for an errand mule.

anyone have any other ideas? If I wasn't closing on a condo in a month, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

porsche, there is no escape.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The car is an icon. But having two?! Sure, one for back-up, but I think you'll have one in the garage collecting dust.

This is so much money, that you shouldn't consider doing anyone a favour buying his/hers car. Just follow your heart and then listen to the brain. After that pick the one that suits you best. I wouldn't rely on someone else to sell his car. Either it's for sale or not. Also buying a car from someone you know can be a bad thing when something breaks.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think this is a case of the classic saying- a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, right?

As far as having two- it's an aspiration of mine to be a collector, maybe i'm taking it the wrong direction with modified cars?
Old 10-21-2006, 11:52 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

CJ,

After you have made every attempt to contact your buddy, close the deal on this new one. Your buddy will understand... the "perfect" 993TT doesn't come along every day. If this new one is making your socks roll up and down, buy it. This is NOT transportation... it doesn't even matter if you don't buy at the lowest possible price point. Get the car that's making you dizzy with desire.

Be sure that the car is checked out by an independent shop: PPI is very important, and worth every bit of the $300-$500 a thorough PPI (with comp/leak-down) may cost.

Good luck. I hope you live through the weekend!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:45 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could never kick yourself from buying anything that moved your emotions and passion. These are priceless.......so do it!!
Old 10-21-2006, 04:02 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the one you just drove if the ppi is acceptable. Your friend is waxing and waning, he'll understand.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:33 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

CJ,

In your earlier post, you mentioned a concern about another Rennlister jumping in on your deal. I suppose that's possible, but there is a very high code of ethics from what I've seen in my 4 years on this forum. I have never heard of such a thing happening... but I'm one of those "glass is half full" sort of guys. Not a big deal, but wanted to let you know of my high regard for the honor of my fellow listers.

Ps... don't take this to mean that I haven't had my scuffles with some of the members... but those are honest (I assume) differences of opinion, poorly expressed.

Keep us posted!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

just don't want to jinx it by waiting too long to hear from my friend and have people alerted to the specific backup car i have in mind. I'll probably go with the one here in dallas once i get my questions answered from the seller.

i'm so close...then after i feel safe enough...PICS PICS PICS. followed by a 60-130 video.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CJ,

I'm very excited for you and hope everything (PPI, all questions answered, etc.) will work out for you on this Turbo in DFW. Keep us posted.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Elusive DaveH
AutoX

If you buy the TT, what do you plan to do with C2S? I might be interested, but I haven't read much about your current car from previous posts.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

daveh- I'm probably not going to sell this car, but-here is the info just in case i decide to.

my 993 S is red on black, 57k miles, stock interior except RUF pedals, exterior i have euro bumper with the functional techart/andial turbo s brake cooling ducts, euro/mo30 shocks and springs, i believe 993 RS sway bars. never tracked. i think for street purposes it is the best possible suspension setup because it corners flat but isnt too stiff to drive around town. only mod left on my ledger to do is the LWF or MWF when the clutch needs new one day. fully serviced by me at andial in orange county, ca and RUF in texas.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:26 PM
dennywags
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
CJ,

In your earlier post, you mentioned a concern about another Rennlister jumping in on your deal. I suppose that's possible, but there is a very high code of ethics from what I've seen in my 4 years on this forum. I have never heard of such a thing happening... but I'm one of those "glass is half full" sort of guys. Not a big deal, but wanted to let you know of my high regard for the honor of my fellow listers.
arrrrrrrrgh.....they are more like guidelines.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:50 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

i promise if i pass on the car- I'll tell you all about it
Old 10-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be sure that the car is checked out by an independent shop: PPI is very important, and worth every bit of the $300-$500 a thorough PPI (with comp/leak-down) may cost.
Steve is 100% correct. The PPI is critical.

Your goosebumps now about this car can quickly turn into bed sores if the car of your dreams becomes a source of many sleepless nights. Have your boys @ RUF check it out.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:31 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

believe me guys I know all about PPI's- I took four different 993's in for ppi's only to have 3 of them fall below my level of satisfaction. especially with the turbos- more gizmos, awd, it could go haywire anywhere.

RUF is trying to tempt me into the dark side- building one from a (gasp) 996 TT or gt2...i have wayne and hans on speed dial it seems

Quick Reply: can't sleep after a test drive, what do i do? (long)