Vmax day -excuses excuses

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 07:38 AM
derestrictor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jean

DeR, nice car. KW is a fantastic setup that I almost installed when my car was at Manthey Racing, interesting to know that the front lip helps so much with the balance.. My GT2 body, like TB's, suffers immensely from "windage" at high speeds.

Hope you get the car sorted out.
Thanks, Jean.

Many times I've been tempted by the aggressive allure of the myriad, effective styling tweaks out there but have always found most pleasure from the simple purity of the original 1995 silhouette.

The KW seems to let me hoon with more licence on the moors of this island, not bottoming out when I'm psychologically primed for a stomach churning 'thud' and feeling ever so more compliant in the urban crawl (our roads are diabolical.)

Re the front splitter - ironically, it was MOD who got me into this since previously, I had been the one suffering schphincterus twitcheritum beyond 180 whilst his car had been akin to a 996 paragon of stability but like TB, they reported the wobbles at speed.

So probably in conjunction with the KW, the Beetle is absolutely locked and loaded and it really feels like it could fire throught the sacred barrier (200) with only the incredible wind noise suggestig the scale of assault at hand...

The wheels of further expense unravel as I weep

Cheers,

DeR.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Looks perfect, (DeR)

a true Sleeper
Old 10-13-2006, 02:05 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Seeking driving position in the next Vmax. Will dirve your car like it was stolen and guarantee top finish.
Extensive resume and video's upon request.

Jimmy the felon
Old 10-13-2006, 07:15 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Arduous attempts to find the problem in my relatively lacklustre acclerative performance have revealed the culprit.

The week prior to the vmax I had a new set of PSS9s fitted. This involved the removal of the intercooler in order to attach the rear shock top mounts and not wanting to risk damaging my expensive new cores, off came the Secan.

The offending mechanic forgot to re attach the inlet temperature sensor which sits at the exit of the intercooler.
What does this do ?

The ECU cannot read an inlet temperature so reverts to a default "limp mode" setting of 52DegC.
I have a full engine dyno data printout of the effect which this has on my engine:
The timing is retarded by 4.5% and the boost by 3% and overboost feature is curtailed.
Apparently on my engine this is worth 40-50hp.

I am amazed how accurate a tool the AX22 can be. 40-50hp on my engine is not THAT noticable - still enough power to run level with a CGT up to 130mph ! (yeah yeah video will come)
The AX22 graphs, and the interpretation which we are now being able to make thanks to, in no small part Jean's stirling efforts at analysing all data which people provide, means the AX22 is like having your own portable engine dyno.

We need more AX22 runs on the database.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Stummel
Pro

You should not let any moronic mechanic touch your car or even the holy IC :-)
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

TB
Glad it all worked out. For those of you who don't know, TB hopped in his car right after seeing the AX22 data and drove for the last 3 days back and forth to Germany just to get this sorted out...

The interesting part of all this is as TB said, how much can be learnt from looking closely and beyond the obvious at the data provided by dataloggers. Something just was not right in his performance and I think he would have never known it only through driving the car, since being at those performance levels it is hard to detect those 50HP...Which we predicted by looking at the acceleration numbers!

I think the two learnings from this are that any claims of being able to "butt dyno" 10HP here and there should be tak,en with a grain of salt ,and the second is that there is nothing like a tool like this one to really know whether what your tuner has done to your car or advertised really works.. Before and after comparisons are just so detectable... Certainly something all tuners should have.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

TB,
Suprised you dont have access to a Hammer . This problem would have jumped out at you.
Bit like the GT1 with a low output alternator and puzzling lack of top end !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best

Geoff
Old 10-14-2006, 07:51 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
TB,
Suprised you dont have access to a Hammer . This problem would have jumped out at you.
Bit like the GT1 with a low output alternator and puzzling lack of top end !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best

Geoff

We are less than 10 miles from Toby and have a Porsche System tester that he is welcome to use for free anytime.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:12 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
TB,

All the best

Geoff
We did try over here but there was an issue trying to access the ECU with the diagnostic computer, we thought it was some sort of block put on by RS. It turned out to be to do with the engine imobiliser.
To be honest I didn't want ANYONE messing with my brand new expensive engine and I was due a trip to De anyway

Colin, thanks for the offer.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Kiko
Racer

Originally Posted by NineMeister
We are less than 10 miles from Toby and have a Porsche System tester that he is welcome to use for free anytime.
Now, thats a nice gesture! If we were at 6speed I'd give you a rep point for that!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:28 PM
leonsamonas
Instructor

just don't forget to show up at the next vmax
Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Jussi
Pro

TB: When is Vmax day 2007 and are you gonna beat Leon this time?
Would be nice to see this battle
Maybe I come to see this happening if I get my car properly running..
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I get that date as well. My CTR-2 is just getting the final little bugs out and it will be time to try it on the runway.

Quick Reply: Vmax day -excuses excuses