Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Toby, the logic doesn't add up.. Please take my tone as a supporter of your continuing project. If you are near Redline and boost hasn't been met, the frequency valve duty cycle is not clamping down on the actuators. This means that both turbochargers will be operating near 100% or in your case one might be operating at 98% and one at 105%.. Your turbochargers don't know that, nor does your engine.. BUT, if you are running out of efficiency you will generate more heat.. Again it's not the turbochargers fault, it's the LACK of intercooling, and the lack of IC size of efficiency.. To check this all you would have to do is mount a 4 gallon plastic jug up front near your battery. I assume that you removed your windshield bottle. Connect a pump to spray your IC at 1bar and great. A pressure switch would spray your IC at over 1bar.. During you sustained runs your IC will cool better with the water.. Your ECU won't pull timing since your temps and knock counts are low..

If you CEL tripped you could be running in a limp timing mode... Or you have a boost leak and your turbochargers are running at 125% or greater pumping hot air into your IC..

If you are low on boost, you either have a frequency valve being opened by the ECU or you have damage to your compressor wheel/turbine wheels.. Provided that you don't have any blown hose clamps or cracked hoses..

Truthfully with all the modern OBD2 data loggers one should be running a Palm pilot or laptop on these high speed runs.. Picture these tests as the ultimate dyno run..
Old 10-09-2006, 06:03 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by leonsamonas
thanks for your kind words toby, please send me a copy of our run, i would be very grateful . p.s do you also have our 2nd gear rolling run on the long straight, i noticed that particular duel was omitted
I'm laughing here thinking about the second gear rolling start on the main straight - yes it is on the same video with me desperately trying to see your co pilot doing the countdown through your blacked out windows - its all on the video, followed by you zooming off in second and me reacting and trying to catch up in 3rd - I wondered how you took off so fast
That run we did ended up at you 195 and me 193, so it just shows how relatively unimportant the starts actually are.
I've got the vid on an AVI format it is 39MB and my email won't let me send it, so until I can figure out how to chop it up or get my AOL working I can't do anything with it.
BTW my words weren't kind - you are a maniac man

Watching you smoke the CGT on the main runway was pure class

Edit:
Here you go Leon, I just checked the Ax22 data, we were at 22mph when you took off in second - checkout my 3rd gear effort below

Last edited by TB993tt; 10-09-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Toby, the logic doesn't add up.. Please take my tone as a supporter of your continuing project. If you are near Redline and boost hasn't been met, the frequency valve duty cycle is not clamping down on the actuators. This means that both turbochargers will be operating near 100% or in your case one might be operating at 98% and one at 105%.. Your turbochargers don't know that, nor does your engine.. BUT, if you are running out of efficiency you will generate more heat.. Again it's not the turbochargers fault, it's the LACK of intercooling, and the lack of IC size of efficiency.. To check this all you would have to do is mount a 4 gallon plastic jug up front near your battery. I assume that you removed your windshield bottle. Connect a pump to spray your IC at 1bar and great. A pressure switch would spray your IC at over 1bar.. During you sustained runs your IC will cool better with the water.. Your ECU won't pull timing since your temps and knock counts are low..

If you CEL tripped you could be running in a limp timing mode... Or you have a boost leak and your turbochargers are running at 125% or greater pumping hot air into your IC..

If you are low on boost, you either have a frequency valve being opened by the ECU or you have damage to your compressor wheel/turbine wheels.. Provided that you don't have any blown hose clamps or cracked hoses..

Truthfully with all the modern OBD2 data loggers one should be running a Palm pilot or laptop on these high speed runs.. Picture these tests as the ultimate dyno run..
Kevin
Thanks for the help - The boost levels are lower right from 4000rpm upwards, with the overboost appearing not to be working, I think the suspicion is that one of the turbos is indeed damaged, is there any other damage which could cause inability to generate boost other than wheel damage ?
BTW don't worry about intake temps, that is now comprehensively covered
Old 10-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
BTW don't worry about intake temps, that is now comprehensively covered
Old 10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stummel

Old 10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
red993tt
Racer

2x
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

That sucks!!! Seriously that's a nice cooler.. Very similar to the early GT2's.. Side to side vs front to rear..
Old 10-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Jussi
Pro

Nice Intercooler, is that also Sportec's IC like Leon has?
Where can I get one?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:30 AM
leonsamonas
Instructor

Originally Posted by js-911
Nice Intercooler, is that also Sportec's IC like Leon has?
Where can I get one?

I must say it does look similar, but i can't tell for sure
Old 10-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

So TB

That RS Tuning sticker on the shroud is making the difference they say?

This is a "street" Secan intercooler, not really the same as what Sportec used I believe.

js-911, you can get them through RS Tuning, expect 10k euros at least. I am sure TB will elaborate.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 AM
leonsamonas
Instructor

Toby,

ref a previous thread....what do you think of RUF horses now?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:08 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leonsamonas
Toby,

ref a previous thread....what do you think of RUF horses now?

Well you've read the excuses

We were level accelerating to ~130mph (I will get the vid, I promise) and you weigh what, 70kg less but my 2WD will compensate somewhat.

Judging by the 60-130s which we did on the first bit which was 8.5s, my car is running about 520hp so I would guess you had maybe similar, maybe 10/20hp more. Here is the drag to 130 which I've taken from the 193 run above

On the second bit where you jumped me in second to my third, you trapped at 195, me at 193 despite your 30m pull at the beginning (again, you'll see the vid) so your hp is running more than mine, but I would guess an RS style 540hp, how much extra you get from the 102 is up for debate - (I don't believe the BP web site whose hp claims were made using the Weltmiester dyno)

The top speed is determined by gearing as well as hp, mine was not going past 6900rpm/7000rpm - I didn't watch the rev counter, but when my "test crew" from Tech9 did a run they reported that the rev counter was sitting around 7000rpm for the last 300m.

Moving on to the Yellow Ruf car. Someone said that 996GT2 had 638 Ruf hp ? Well I pulled 2 car lengths on him from start to 130mph (I was probably 100kg lighter) so for that run he was more like the 590hp that Ruf quotes.

You won the event and all credit for that
Old 10-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
So TB
This is a "street" Secan intercooler, not really the same as what Sportec used I believe.
js-911, you can get them through RS Tuning, expect 10k euros at least. I am sure TB will elaborate.
TB: Is your IC really :
" 993TT race intercooler with SECAN net!
In exchange to the original 993TT intercooler Price:13.340,-- Euro "
from RS tuning?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Going from stage 2 zc turbos to k24's w/ bigger compressors my track course times went up 2 seconds yesterday! Lag isn't that bad, but a definite minus it seems. Then again being able to break the tires loose in 2nd is nice too.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
leonsamonas
Instructor

Well you've read the excuses

We were level accelerating to ~130mph (I will get the vid, I promise) and you weigh what, 70kg less but my 2WD will compensate somewhat.

Judging by the 60-130s which we did on the first bit which was 8.5s, my car is running about 520hp so I would guess you had maybe similar, maybe 10/20hp more. Here is the drag to 130 which I've taken from the 193 run above

On the second bit where you jumped me in second to my third, you trapped at 195, me at 193 despite your 30m pull at the beginning (again, you'll see the vid) so your hp is running more than mine, but I would guess an RS style 540hp, how much extra you get from the 102 is up for debate - (I don't believe the BP web site whose hp claims were made using the Weltmiester dyno)

The top speed is determined by gearing as well as hp, mine was not going past 6900rpm/7000rpm - I didn't watch the rev counter, but when my "test crew" from Tech9 did a run they reported that the rev counter was sitting around 7000rpm for the last 300m.

Moving on to the Yellow Ruf car. Someone said that 996GT2 had 638 Ruf hp ? Well I pulled 2 car lengths on him from start to 130mph (I was probably 100kg lighter) so for that run he was more like the 590hp that Ruf quotes.

You won the event and all credit for that
Toby,

your elaborate analysis is wonderful reading material
I still maintain that RUF horses eat superhay, yellow ruf rgt2 had an air filter problem i was told.

Quick Reply: Vmax day -excuses excuses