Old 07-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Ultimate Motorwerks Turbocharger check-valve kit

As we know, 993TT have some issues with smoking and leaking turbochargers. If someone has just sprung a turbocharger leak or smoking after having had your car in for service which included a oil change. I would definately change your engine oil filter. Most likely or not, you have had a Mahle filter installed vs the updated Porsche filter.

If one has seen a steady increase of oil around the turbine housing or smoking at start up, I have a inexpensive solution that I manufactured.

Basically we are updating to 996TT check valves mounted on the turbocharger oil inlets. One nice feature of the check valves is that they have internal filter screens inside.

Here is the stock oil lines mounted that run from the chain housing console to the turbocharger.

Here is a picture with the line removed

This is with the 996TT check valve installed

One feature is installing my CNC'd metric fitting, that does not require any washers and mimics the factory line. A few kits that I have seen have multiple fittings and 90's.. This will open the door fo possible leaks.

This picture shows the new oil line connected to the new fittings

Heat and accelerated wear causes the turbine seal gap to widen as miles increase. Oil siphons out of the cam housings, and down the oil supply line to the turbocharger. This oil floods the turbo (this happens with the engine off). As the oil level rises, it passes thru the seal area. It will puddle behind the heat shield and leak down the turbine housing. At start-up the oil burns off.

The cost of this kit is $295.00

Additionally if your are a past customer, please email me..

Last edited by Kevin; 07-28-2006 at 04:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cole_ve (06-26-2020)
Old 07-28-2006, 04:03 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Am I reading this right that it can help stop a turbocharger that is already leaking? If so......what do you plan do do with the millions of dollars you are going to make?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes and No.. If you have engine blowbye or a faulty filter, this kit will not cure the leak.

However, if you have fairly new turbochargers that tend to be chronic leakers this kit will help.

I would also suggest running the oil levels down toward the lower mark.

I would highly recommend this kit with new turbo installs.

Marc, if I get the millions, I'd definately build more parts for our turbo 911's
Old 07-28-2006, 04:20 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll take two......STAT

funny, my right turbo just strated to leak (recently rebuilt) just after I topped off the oil (I use Mobile 1 and OEM FIlters)....why do you suggest running close to the lower mark...if this works....I will hang a giant picture of you up in my garage with incense and candles and bow down every morning...Marc
Old 07-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kevin,
Shouldn't this be useful for all those ppl who store their cars for longer periods?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i re-routed my breather lines that run into the intake. solved my leak problem. i never blew smoke, just dripped oil from the turbo where Kevin described. By re-routing the breather lines I no longer get all the oil collecting int he intercooler and causing hoses to pop off under boost.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Marc, it's your engine oil filter... Even the factory Porsche filter can fail. Run your oil level toward the bottom. When the oil level is lower it reduces the chance of siphoning from your main oil tank to your crankcase.. Another is, as the outside summer temps rise, the volume of oil expands more between engine cycles due to the hotter running engine. When you shut your car off this oil level is higher.. Thus creating a greater chance of breaching the seals.

Rassel you are correct. This kit really help people who let there car sit for a few weeks.

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin
Rassel you are correct. This kit really help people who let there car sit for a few weeks.
Seems to me like one of the common question every spring is "Took the TT out of storage started it and can't see my hand because of the smoke".
Old 07-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy,

How did you re-route your breather lines? Did you use some type of oil catch can?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to be able to explain it correctly. Joel Reiser did it for me. Basically the breathers are sucking oil into the intake. You have to cap off the 2 lines that are going to the crank case. They are redundant. Where are you in NJ ? I can show you on my own car. I am in Hoboken but the car is stored in Morris County.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

I'm actually in Monmouth county. But I have been corresponding with Joel through email this last week on other issues, maybe I will shoot him an email and see what he says. I gotta stop this oil from getting into my intercooler, it's only a small amount, like a very thin film, but I imagine it is bad even in small amounts.

Meanwhile, Kevin's check valve kit looks great, I might do both projects at the same time.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-29-2006, 07:19 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can these be installed with the engine in the car?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:14 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you guys post photos of the re-routed hoses?

thanks, Jaime
Old 07-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Don, the kit can be installed with the engine in.

As far as the re-route of the vent lines. One just caps off the lines at the sump tank vents and then either installs caps on the vent lines or remove them all together. Porsche has engineered the vent system to work because of the suction of the intermediate shaft driven sump pump AND we should keep in mind that the oil that is pressurized to feed the turbochargers must move freely into the sump tanks and be evacuated out. If there is a restriction in this system, you will create a "lack of lubrication" condition with your turbochargers. Heat will build up, and you will destroy your thrust bearings and bushings. This occurs because it's like someone closing a valve and not allowing oil to enter the turbochargers.. Again all it takes to restrict the oil movement through the bearings is a retrofit to the vent system.. It's a catch 22 situation.

Again, When you cap these lines you are forcing the oil to stay in the sump tanks. If you have high oil levels due to a reduced oil flow through the pump, oil will back up into the turbocharger, or high volume levels of oil in your crankcase, caused by the drain back of oil from your main oil sump tank. Infact this is how the oil is getting up in your vent lines in the first place. When you shut the engine off, oil migrates from your dry sump oil tank. The level in your crankcase rises. Since your turbochargers are located lower than this level, oil quickly fills into your turbochargers and up the vent lines. What is typically the culprit of this condition---Your oil filter... The check valve has failed causing a inrush of oil to fill your crankcase..
Old 07-29-2006, 02:15 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Don (911/Q45),

I know that Andial used to sell some sort of special turbo drain lines in an effort to do what Kevin is doing. I'd be very surprised if they aren't already fitted to your car. I don't know if they also include the check valve or how the Andial system compares to Kevin's. My Ruf also has some different oil lines, but I don't know how they compare to Kevin's complete kit either. Perhaps I should get off my lazy **** and post some pictures... and you could do the same?

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks Turbocharger check-valve kit