Sponsored by:

More ticking...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Magnus Granberg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More ticking...

I just read in a thread about ticking noise and that it could be both a lifter and a leak at the exhaust.
The car was quiet when I picked it up a week ago and now I heard it when i passed a wall with the windows down. It sounds from the right side and equal as much when I start it cold as when it is running at working temp. I cannot hear it in the coupé at all. It does not sound "stronger" after 48h at cold startup.

If it is a exhaustleak, where should I look for the leak?
If it is a lifter... is it dangerous to use the car?

I will have a mechanic look at it soon.

/Magnus (Newbie)
Old 07-06-2006, 10:37 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Magnus. Typically, an exhaust leak sound will diminish as the exhaust metal heats up and expands. A discharged, malfunctioning lifter/tapet has consistant sound. From what I've read, seems the exhaust side lifters are the first to go. I have the same problem and am going to change them all very soon.

See the thread below titled: "Whoa, $70.00 for a single lifter"

Jaime
Old 07-06-2006, 06:25 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

the likelihhood of an exhaust leak is slim it is probably a lifter. the safest thing is to replace them all that is what i am doing but keep in mind the set of 12 lifters which consists of 6 for the exhaust and 6 for the intake will cost almost 1000, not to mention the labor

all the best

Sebastian
Old 07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Well, you can get lifters for about 40 bucks each here in the USA. Kevin at Ultimate motorsports, and Steve Weiner at Rennsport systems can hook you up (I hope this is ok to inform). Both are Rennlist sponsors.

Jaime
Old 07-07-2006, 03:08 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is in for lifters as well, 40,000km exactly, but the car has seen LOTS of track use so I'm not complaining. I'll let the list know which ones were bad, I'm expecting it to be exhaust due to the heat from track use. It would come and go at first, but is now constant. It really makes the car sound cheap!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:39 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Is there a design flaw with the premature wear of exhaust lifters? Kevin pointed out to some heatshields aft of heads....But maybe some bigger, more robust heat shields needed? Anybody with manufacturing skills out there??

Jaime
Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Magnus Granberg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your answers!

I hade a Porsche mechanic listing to it today.
He said that it was a little bit louder than it should but equal as much on both sides.
He asked me when the oil was changed and that is done 3500km ago and I said it was Mobil 1 15/50 and he said that was not right... 5/40 was the right one. He said that we star with exchanging the oil and see if the noise go away. What is your opinion on what he says?

//Magnus
Old 07-07-2006, 02:53 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thinner oil?? Hmmm....maybe in Sweden it's reasonable. In warm climates almost everybody swears by synthetic 15-50, and even one very well known tuner whom states to use 20-50 in our TT cars.

Jaime
Old 07-07-2006, 06:21 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

the mechanic i had listen to the fcar said the exact same thing that to try thinner oil and see if it goes away. We didnt try this instead i just insisted we replace all of them and get rid of the ticking
Old 07-08-2006, 01:33 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the thinner oil method, mostly out of curiosity and it did not work. Indeed, it seemed to make the bad lifter(s) even louder! At the end of the day, these cars run great on 15W50, so if it's making noise now with that oil, there is something mechanically wrong that needs to be dealt with.

I personally don't think this is premature wear, my car has seen a lot of track KM; I can't think of any other make that can withstand this much track use with such minor maintenance.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

The problem with the ticking lifters really isn't the lifters themselves.. It's the viton ORING that seals the lifter in the rocker arm bore.. The seal gets hard and brittle. It cooks itself near the heat exchanger and turbine housing.. The seals get brittle and crack. Once in this form they clog the lifter, and restrict the oil flow into the lifter.. Also, in severe cases the oil just blows out past the oring and does not provide and pressure to the lifter... Porsche has updated the oring material.

One word of caution, it might just sound like one, but trust me if you just replace one bank, you will be back replacing the remaining ones you didn't replace prior.. Been there done that!!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Porsche has updated the oring material.
So how do the cheapie aftermarket lifters compare longterm to the updated Porsche versions? I learned real quick not to bother with aftermarket seals for everything else but the price differential is HUGE for lifters.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jason, why are you implying that they are aftermarket!!! Don't assume..
Old 07-08-2006, 06:09 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

I'm taking every precaution against dry-rot o-rings due to heat. I took Kevin's advice and just finished placing all new lifters in a glass jar filled with magic potion 15-50Mobile-1. Tomorrow will assess the heat shields and maybe improve on the shielding with stainless steel sheets. Maybe I can send the shields to SwainTech for a thermal barrier coat??

Jaime

Kevin, I don't think Jason was specifically referring to lifters used by anyone here on Rennlist. But, while on the topic.....is there such thing as an aftermarket lifter?? Closest I can think of is that tip to use Mercedes Benz ones which purportedly are the same.....

anyone??

Jaime
Old 07-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jaime the lifters are delived to you with orings installed...

With your ceramic coated turbine housings and the correct heat shield in place, with the new orings I think that you will be okay..

Quick Reply: More ticking...