Sponsored by:

Optional Equipment question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optional Equipment question

After I acquired my 1996 993TT I contacted PCNA to obtain a "Certificate of Authenticity." I thought I knew the entire history of the car (it was originally sold by Fred Baker Porsche in NE Ohio, the dealer with whom I have purchased 2 previous Porsches) but after I received the COA I was puzzled by one entry in the optional equipment summary; "Tourist Delivery Preparation."

Can anyone help with the definition of "Tourist Delivery Preparation?" I am speculating that this was a European delivery car but the original selling dealer has no recollection or record of this (their relevant files prior to FY2000 are unavailable). I contacted PCNA but the people I spoke to there seem to be consumed by their own set of challenges. If in fact this car was a European delivery vehicle, would it be mechanically different from 993TTs delivered directly to the US?

Thanks in advance for any assistance- Matt

Last edited by mkozink; 06-07-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Cars that you just pick up in Europe are the exact same car you would pick up at a show room in the US. That way the car meets all US specs and requires no DOT inspection upon arrival in the US. The only gripe I have is that Porsche is the only manufacturer to charge for this privilege. All the rest give discounts, and having picked up a Mercedes in 82' it was an awesome experience.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Bill-

Thanks; my 993TT is also Polar Silver but with a Midnight Blue interior. I am in the process of obtaining an aftermarket ECU. Are you satisfied with the Autothority unit in yours?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:57 AM
BlkC4S
Instructor

Mine also has that option code, but AFAIK it was delivered into California, not Europe. I was curious about it as well.

Anyone know the full story?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:12 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that we have people here that buy the car through their local dealer and then go to Germany to see their car and get it "delivered" before it comes to the US. It is then sent to the selling dealer and sold as a US car. IIRC
Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My '97 was a 'tourist delivery'. I thought a $121,978 MSRP was extremely high until I noticed that $10,000 was a value added tax listed as part of the euro delivery. What was your MSRP on your COA and how did they account for the Value added Tax?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Bass993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1996 TT was a european delivery vehicle as I noiced in my Certificate of Authenticity "modification / preparation". It was easy to spot as the first stamp for the dealer service in the owners manual was Porsche AG- Stuttgart. It still runs like like it wants the autobahn...
Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

On a side note, the original owner of my car was in such a rush to get it that he paid an extra $3500 (on the original window sticker)to have it flown in to LAX. He picked it up at the airport and drove it home.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Matt, mine came with the Autothority ECU. The guys at the dealership say it's one of the quickest they have seen. The only downside to it is I tried to program a second key and they can't do it with this ECU. I have a spare stock one that they said if I just stuck it in long enough to do the program thats all it would take. I think the blue interior looks the best with Polar silver. I worked for an airline and had my Mercedes flown back space available on the German airline...1500 marks, which at that time was only $500 USD!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:32 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

LT1- unfortunately the MSRP on the COA says "Not Listed." I wonder how long before we have a VAT to contend with here in the USA?

Bill- Thanks for the follow-on info re: the Autothority ECU. Its a toss-up between the Autothority and the GIAC. Too many choices to make.

Quick Reply: Optional Equipment question