EPROM switcher- Have separate street and race programs in your Motronic

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts
Default EPROM switcher- Have separate street and race programs in your Motronic

The best results in performance cars that are used on the street and track will be achieved when you have a program specifically written for each type of fuel, rather than a "one size fits all" approach. Well written Motronic programs can get very close, but there are always some trade-offs when you move from 91 to 100 octane or the likes.

In cars using a boost controller and Motronic, turning the boost up with race fuel does not give you the best performance either, unless your ECU has been mapped accordingly..

I have been playing around with different programs, swapping "chips" back and forth in my ECU, which is a major inconvenience because of the ECU location (under driver's seat), as well as because you have to keep swapping the delicate chips.

I ended up finding this very interesting chip switcher, than can be placed in my ECU box with 2 different chips and then just flip the on/off switch that you can fit somewhere under the dashboard to change programs..

Very easy to install, it should not take more than 10 minutes. See the 2 chips in paralell here below

I now have the possibility to run 2 totally different programs, or 4, or 6!! Simply by placing 2 or 3 of these units together and hooking them to a nice digital switch unit instead of the basic on/off switch supplied (see picture).

This program switcher idea has been used before, but I have been looking for an easy solution for quite some time, and thanks to Todd Knighton at Protomotive, got hold of this unit.

If you happen to have a tuner as cooperative as Todd, you can immensely benefit from a switcher like this one, and have different programs for street, track, or even valet parking!

I realize not many go this far, but thought of sharing in case someone has similar needs.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Price?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:05 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Back in the days when I owned and tweaked a GMC Syclone, there was a chip that had ten different settings for different boost levels, fuel maps etc. All switchable via thumbwheel switch. Very convenient and effective. This is copied from a Syclone/Typhoon website:

PERFORMANCE CHIP Todd Austinson produces a 10-in-1 chip for the Syclone/Typhoon.
The 10-1 chip is a replacement computer chip that contains 10 programs on one chip and fits piggyback style with the stock memcal entirely inside the stock ecm. These chips will work great on any Syclone/Typhoon running the stock injectors, cam, and heads, and will enhance the performance of upgraded turbos, intercoolers, and other common bolt-on modifications. An external display/switch, about the size of a radar detector, is used to select the program, and displays the program currently selected. This unit also contains a lock, allowing you to lock the chip in its current setting. The performance programs are: two (2) 93 octane street versions, one with ~16 psi boost programmed, the other with ~17.5, a 93+ octane street/strip, a 93+ octane strip, both with ~17.5 psi boost programmed, and finally a 16 psi street program identical to the one above except for the idle speed set to 800 rpm. The convenience programs are: a valet program that significantly cuts power levels, security (no start), emissions, a program identical to the stock calibration with all limits intact, and another stock type program with the exception of the rpm and mph limits being raised, no boost limit, and 60 degree intercooler pump turn on temp. Boost levels will vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle depending on state of tune and modifications.

The 10-1's are ready for immediate delivery.

Some of the features of the 4 performance programs are:

-Boost controlled by chip at selectable levels of 14.5, 16.5, and 17.5 psi
-Faster turbo spool-up
-Smoother idle
-Intercooler pump turn-on temp lowered to 60 degrees F from 180
-Max allowable knock retard raised 3 degrees for safer operation
-First time boost disable eliminated making staging easier at the track.
-Rpm limit raised to 5300
-Mph and boost limits eliminated
-EGR disabled on all the street, street/strip, and strip programs.
The 93+ octane street/strip and strip programs require more than 93 octane to run safely on a stock vehicle. Each vehicle’s state of modification and ambient conditions will determine what octane level is required. My Typhoon, for example, with upgraded turbo and intercooler can run the street/strip program at 17.5 psi of boost with no detonation on 93 octane fuel. This is due to the charge air temperature being lower from the turbo and IC over the stock units. I need about 95 octane to run the strip program safely at 17.5 psi boost. Knock retard and O2 volts or EGT temps should be monitored when using these programs initially to determine safe boost levels and octane requirements. This should be done when using any aftermarket program for the first time.

There are hundreds in use presently with performance gains averaging between 3-5 tenths in the quarter mile. Even more impressive results can be obtained at higher boost levels, but an external boost controller is needed to obtain more than 17.5 psi. I have run 21 psi using this chip and an aftermarket boost controller and gained .8 seconds over stock levels.

Price is $250 for the 10-1 including the display and shipping. If you would like to order one contact me by sending an e-mail with the subject line "Performace chip order" to Ty1548@aol.com and I will give you the payment options. You can also call me at (216) 433-6684 between 9:00-4:00pm EST.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I found several similar systems during my search, but it is not what I was looking for. Anyone considering such setup (like the one described above by Chris) can contact the Vitesse Racing guys over in the 944 turbo board, who are very knowledgeable in electronics applied to Porsche cars..

With such piggyback system, one would have to either go through the seller to program the chips (which is not an option), or share with them the files from my tuner, so that they can copy them and program the device accordingly..

The Eprom switcher is a very simple device that you can plug yourself and get the chip from your own tuner and use it. Manthey Racing and some other reknown Europeans used a similar setup a few years back, they are very simple and reliable.

I could be missing something, but after over a month looking around, this is the only system that addresses my needs and that a non technical guy like me can handle.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

I could be missing something, but after over a month looking around, this is the only system that addresses my needs and that a non technical guy like me can handle.

Yeah right!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Jean - does that work for the 96 or the 97 ECU?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Doug, good question, I have a N/A 55 pin, M4.0 1994-1995 993 N/A ecu.
So it is not the regular TT ECU, however, basically, the 911, 964, 993 are eproms so you should be able to..

993 from 1996-1997 are One time programmable, and require special boards.
993 from mid 1997-1998 are CC460 and require special programmers.

Both of the above can work in the switcher as long as your tuner can program them and the chip can be removed like mine in the picture..

I might be wrong here so take it at face value please.
I take it that many probably do not realize the benefits of this switcher.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:51 PM
red993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the dual chips switchability was introduced by Kevin not too long. He will be having one install in my 993tt.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

I currently have the ECU switcher. It is a 10mm wrench and screwdriver.

I am getting ready to have Todd tune my ECU more aggressively for race gas. It is currently tuned for 100 oct. I have been running 116 leaded blended with 91 oct unleaded. My car seems to really like the leaded fuel.

I am going to ask Todd to overwrite my GIAC program with a 91 oct pump gas program for when I take the car on road trips.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Dawgstar
1st Gear

I have looked high and low for one of these. does anyone know where I can find one. many thanks and sorry for the zombie thread :-)

Old 12-10-2016, 03:25 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think there is one (or haven't seen one that I can recall). There aren't many tuners that can tune the old motornic, especially to control boost (or willing to invest the time to do so). The plug-in chips for the 96 ecu weren't that reliable with their connections (needed to be soldered in) which I would assume would be a similar problem for designing a plug-in switchable ecu like the one in this thread. There were tuners who were working on programers (so that you can easily change programs as for the ecus in newer cars) based on the reprogramable 97 ecu but afaik, due to the slow transfer rate through the OBD2 connector in our cars, it would take too long to make it practical.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:46 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I really like the idea!! Hope it works somehow on the early 96 Motronic ECU, worth investigating with Todd.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM
F1Max
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dawgstar
I have looked high and low for one of these. does anyone know where I can find one. many thanks and sorry for the zombie thread :-)

here! http://www.demarco-prototipi.com/?mr...e-generico,130
Old 11-12-2020, 08:49 AM
listnner
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Has anyone tried this ?

Quick Reply: EPROM switcher- Have separate street and race programs in your Motronic