Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruf hybrids turbos? - anything special about them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruf hybrids turbos? - anything special about them?

Another question w/o hijacking the previous Ruf thread.
Just curious, what do the Ruf Turbo R hybrid turbos look like?

Kevin? have you had them apart? Are they the same as the k16/24 hybrids that you have sold to many people here?

just curious as the ruf package was developed in 1997-98, so i wonder if it has evolved at all since.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Have them on the shelf..
Old 04-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

No big deal, nice hybrids like many other build..

Too much mystery around RUF's stuff, turbos, cams, ECU, exhaust etc..! They are great builders and tuners for sure, but when it comes to strictly engine upgrades and performance, there are so many out there just as good or better both in the US and Europe for much lower prices.

I love their creations when it comes to COMPLETE cars like the RT12, CTR2, CTR etc..but only because of how well balanced they are and they look. Flame suit on!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:03 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would tend to guess that Kevin can make a turbo better than Ruf. The thing with the Ruf turbo though is it is designed around the whole package of turbo, cam, ecu....and whatever else Her Ruf wants to bill you for....but that's why his stuff works so well and why you get a year warranty on his engines....its a fully integrated upgrade.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by LA964RS
I would tend to guess that Kevin can make a turbo better than Ruf. The thing with the Ruf turbo though is it is designed around the whole package of turbo, cam, ecu....and whatever else Her Ruf wants to bill you for....but that's why his stuff works so well and why you get a year warranty on his engines....its a fully integrated upgrade.
I would agree that Kevin can indeed make a hybrid turbo that's more efficient than RUF (i.e. his Z/C). The key to Kevin's integrated packages is having a local mechanic, with 993TT experience, you trust to do the install and stand behind the work. It's the turn-key aspect of RUF that's so attractive.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

The value of RUF is not in each individual parts, but the sum of it's parts. Individually, I'm sure you can find 'better' turbos, suspensions, brakes, exhausts etc. than what RUF puts on their car or kits. However, if you did select all these 'better' components and throw them onto a Porsche, I bet you that Porsche will lag behind the RUF in almost all driving performance categories. RUF is all about the total car, not a piece at a time.

CP
Old 04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

I agree about the package/balance side of things, but do maintain that several other builders out there can give you the same balanced performance as far as engine is concerned, and faster cars as well with warranty, cheaper, and as reliable or more. For the price of the RUF upgrade, nowadays one can get a car that will beat it in all aspects of performance.

It is a personal choice of course, CP's car is a perfect example of where RUF shines for instance.

Maybe we can get a RUF 993TT to use the AX22 and post some numbers? Anyone out there?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:58 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

I think any turbo that you can't identify the specific components of is the wrong turbo!!! After installing and testing XX turbo you find there to be a shortcoming you have no idea of where to go since you have no benchmark. Ideally you want to know compressor wheel, compressor AR, turbine wheel and turbine AR. Having all of those facts will allow you make educated changes if needed.

FWIW the K24 compressor is to small to run 1.1-1.2 bar. You should look for at least a 32 lb compressor.

Tom

Quick Reply: Ruf hybrids turbos? - anything special about them?