Sponsored by:

drop link mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default drop link mounts

I've had some loosening of the drop link mounts on my rear shocks - right rear. I tightened it before and noticed they came loose again. I've read about using the threaded collar on either side of the mounts but that requires disassembly. Also have read about V.Bobs fabricated mounts for pss9's, and about placing the drop link "in board" vs. "out board" on the mounts.
Noticed mine were mounted "out board" I think so I've now mounted them "in board" on the mounts, used some thread lock on the mounts/collars.
But notice that the links are no longer vertical and angled a little outward. Is this okay or should I mount them "out board" again....

drop links are fabricated ones, TRG sways in middle position, Moton clubsports, pics from behind looing forward.

Ryojo
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2006, 02:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those mounts are much different from the Porsche / Bilstein ones. The arm length is much less outward from the body of the shock. Your drop link needs to be mounted on the outboard side of that mount to be able to have the proper drop link geometry. Couple more things. Take the lock collar that you have on the bottom of the spring perch, and lower that down to the drop link mount. Then make sure that the face of the drop link mount and the sway bar flat part of the arm are in the same plane. I'll also have some curved drop link in a couple of weeks that will be adjustable, and will be able to get to all the holes on the rear bar.

What spring rates are you running just out of curiosity???
Old 04-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Great tips Bob. The angle that the drop link is forming with the sway bar is no good.
I have the RS mounts with the Moton and rear TRG bar and they work very well, the arm of the drop link has a bend and it is further from the shock, which makes it drop vertically straight towards the sway bar.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Okay, thanks Bob. So, I don't need the locking collar on the spring perch and should just use it for the drop link mount (and the spring perch should be okay?).

my spring rates are:H&R race 60mmID
front 457lbs main 200 tender
rear 629lbs main 200 tender
Old 04-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Default readjustment

well, I've changed the drop link so that it is 'out board' again and moved the sway bars a little/used washers to make things line up best I could. I think it looks better. Also used the locking ring from the spring perch as suggested to lock the drop link mount from both above and below. I also noticed that on the spring perch, there is at least one of the holes for the spanner wrench that are threaded down to the shock body - is there supposed to be a bolt to lock it in there? or would that just damage the treads on the shock body? Bob? Jean? pics are taken with car on jack stands.
Thanx
Ryojo
Attached Images    
Old 04-16-2006, 06:43 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Looks MUCH better. That threaded part on the spring perch is for a simple plastic bit to thread into the shock threads. Oh BTW, do you have a monoball bottom or a rubber one on the rear Moton?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Thanx Bob
I put a bolt into the spring perch threaded hole and only finger tightened with the short end of an allen wrench. It's a monoball bottom.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:06 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Do you have a teflon type of button on the spacer between the rod end and upright? If you do not have this, the suspension itself tends to twist DRAMATICALLY in a 993 which can lead to the sway bar loosening.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Thanx again for all your help
I don't think I see any teflon - except perhaps in the recieving part of the in the ball joint itself - pics are a little out of focus
I guess I'll just have to see how it will hold up...and check it once in a while for now.
Ryojo
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: drop link mounts