Sponsored by:

Damn Intercooler Hose Popped Off - HELP PLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn Intercooler Hose Popped Off - HELP PLS

I installed Kevin's Stage 1 and have been having a blast. The performance is simply awesome.

About 10 days ago, I took a friend for a drive and 2 hoses popped off, the passenger side intercooler hose (of course) and another small hose (which I heard the mechanic refer to it as the hose that connects to (or near) the throttle or something , sorry if that doesn't help, but part number is 993 110 133 50).

I have the orange tipped intercooler hoses. I also have the Breeze clamps, yet the damn thing still (partly) popped off and got a bit mangled. I've now replaced the intercooler hose and fixed the other little one, but I'm so worried it will happen again that I'm actually not enjoying the car as I have no confidence that it won't happen again.

I have a major event coming up on the 23 March and I don't want this to happen again as it could well destroy my Turbo(s). I am aware of stainless steel hose kit, but surely there must be another way?

PLEASE help!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:07 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ziad, take some brake cleaner and completely de-grease the inside of the hoses at the clamping surface as well as at both ends on turbine housings/flanges and at intercooler. with virginal surfaces, rubber on hot/heating metal will stick and not budge.

Jaime

ps. That's a "great" problem to have
Old 03-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Ziad

Sorry to hear it has not been resolved yet. I would advise you to do a search and read the many threads available on the subject. One that I particularily like is this one https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...tercooler+hose

You really need to clean very well the tips and put the clamps properly.
Good luck.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:01 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

That hose is for the ISV valve. How much boost are you running? I have had good luck with those hoses and even more agreesive turbos from Kevin in the 1.2 - 1.3 BAR range.. Even with the Breeze Clamps, you have to be very careful that you fully have the tube seated and completely on the neck of the intercooler before tightening the clamp down... The clamp also has to be completely sqeezing the tube down on the intercooler inlet pipe. If it hangs over the edge of the neck, it will sometimes have a tendency to come loose...
Old 03-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm having the same problem at the track with stock turbos. I put a new hose on last July and it blew off and was destroyed last weekend at the track. Are they that fragile? Is there a better way? I will follow the link above.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Ziad look at the bright side.. The hoses don't come off till 1.2 bars...
Old 03-15-2006, 04:44 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Guys, thank you all for your replies.

Jaime, I checked with the mechanic and he told be that he has cleaned the inside of the hoses as well as the outside surfaces + the clamp with brake cleaner. He assured me that it will not come off --> let's see.

Jean, thanks. C U Sat...

Bob, I think I'm running 1.1 bar, isn't that right Kevin? The mechanic seems to have followed the steps you covered, so hopefully, this time they wont come off. Didn't you have the stainless steel hoses at one point? In the link that Jean provided, you mentioned Huntley Racing? I've emailed MindOver Motorsports a couple of times in the past, they only got back to me once. I emailed them again yesterday and am waiting to hear from them regarding price + availability.

At the right price, I'm keen to get the stainless steel ones if only for peace of mind. Anyone have any idea whether there are others with stainless steel hoses or the like?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 04:49 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Huntley Racing is long gone...thankfully. They shut down a couple of years ago.

I checked the MindOver Motorsports site as well but couldn't find any information.

I've heard that Devek carries these as well...I emailed Susan but haven't heard back yet.

I'm in a similar situation, with my original (black end) hoses in rough condition, I need to buy replacements soon.

Thanks,

-Jeff
'97 993tt
'02 BMW M3
Old 03-15-2006, 05:03 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Jeff,
Pls let me know how you get on. In the mean time, I will also search for other suppliers, just in case. If the price is what I think it will be, then I need these things ASAP...
Cheers
Old 03-15-2006, 07:34 AM
sonny1
Banned

The best way to get rid of the problem, specially with track/high hp cars is to fab your own, what I usually do is to fab them up out of aluminum piping and use Wiggins clamps at the ends, with this you will never, ever have a mishap., cheers, Sonny.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Cheers Sonny

Forgive the silly question, but what is "fab" ?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ziad,
I don't think you will have time to "fab" "ricate" the intercooler hard pipes, I will show you the ones I have once in Bahrain. The way they have fixed it now should work hopefully.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Jean, we have a lot aluminium works places here and the local agent tends to have some bits and bobs made here... It might just be worth a try
Old 03-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Definitely then! Not the case here. You can always go back to rubber hoses if it does not work.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

At Devek we never got around to building the stainless pipes. Just on of those things that never made it to the top of the list. I had a set on my car and they were fine to 1.5 BAR (don't ask how I know). Good luck with the event. Sounds like Jean may be able to help....

Quick Reply: Damn Intercooler Hose Popped Off - HELP PLS