Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ultimate quest for 8500 RPM engine build

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:08 PM
foryorent
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, any chance you will be posting some info about this build up on your Ultimate Motor Werks web site?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:32 PM
foryorent
Intermediate

Sorry to keep bumping this page up, and I'm sure Kevin would post any progress, but is this build still happening? I am very anxious to hear how this engine turns out, as I would love a high revving TT engine my self!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 322 Likes on 222 Posts

Winter is coming.. I will be able to finish this engine.. I do have some more pics to post..
Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Ima2nr
Instructor

ready to see more pictures....
Old 11-27-2006, 07:42 PM
red993tt
Racer

Shall the ultimate quest continue......
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vince, check the torque curve of Jean's vs the sportec motor.
Originally Posted by Kevin
Here is the dyno sheet for this engine... This is what the engine left with to go racing. However, this engine hit close to 950Nm..
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2006, 06:03 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Brad
You just can't compare dyno sheets between different dynos and even different operators on the same dyno !
Maybe peak power numbers could be somewhat comparable but torque delivery, particularly lower down is dependant on how the dyno is loaded up - I do not believe Jean's 3.8 motor has only 350NM @ 3500rpm compared to 734NM for the Sportec
FWIW IMO the Sportec torque curve wreaks of chassis dyno torque inflation a la Weltmiester.
Edit: Said chassis dyno torque inflation is not meant as a pop at the operator, just a comment that chassis dynos always seem to pump out bigger peak torque numbers than engine dynos, the Weltmiester thread being the classic exceptionally inflated example

Last edited by TB993tt; 11-29-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Brad,

Not getting into a pissing match, but I find it strange that yesterday you asked me this same question in private and I explained to you what TB just said as well, yet you decided to post these graphs of my car and the Sportec car.

Comparing these dyno charts or any chassis vs engine dyno, or any two different operators or any chassis dyno... or whatever....does not make any sense. Let's see the acceleration numbers and known weight of this car. I did my 100-200kph runs at less than 1.2 bar.

As I also mentioned to you yesterday, I have another run done on a MAHA chassis dyno that shows 20-30% more torque downlow on my same engine up until 5k RPMs or so, at 1 Bar of boost (1.2 Bar on this one), on pump gas (104octane on this one), and a shut down exhaust pipe (no exhaust on this one)due to noise restrictions in Germany, so what does that tell us about dynos? You will agree that the Manthey MAHA should have showed much worse torque under these unfavourable conditions? Yet they were 30% higher.

I also mentioned to you , that I will accept to race this or any other street Sportec monster anytime and will pay for the shipping of their car to Dubai if I loose. Nothing against Sportec, I have a lot of respect for Gunther and Ueli, but I don't know what these graphs are trying to prove?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jean
Brad,

Not getting into a pissing match, but I find it strange that yesterday you asked me this same question in private and I explained to you what TB just said as well, yet you decided to post these graphs of my car and the Sportec car.

Comparing these dyno charts or any chassis vs engine dyno, or any two different operators or any chassis dyno... or whatever....does not make any sense. Let's see the acceleration numbers and known weight of this car. I did my 100-200kph runs at less than 1.2 bar.

As I also mentioned to you yesterday, I have another run done on a MAHA chassis dyno that shows 20-30% more torque downlow on my same engine up until 5k RPMs or so, at 1 Bar of boost (1.2 Bar on this one), on pump gas (104octane on this one), and a shut down exhaust pipe (no exhaust on this one)due to noise restrictions in Germany, so what does that tell us about dynos? You will agree that the Manthey MAHA should have showed much worse torque under these unfavourable conditions? Yet they were 30% higher.

I also mentioned to you , that I will accept to race this or any other street Sportec monster anytime and will pay for the shipping of their car to Dubai if I loose. Nothing against Sportec, I have a lot of respect for Gunther and Ueli, but I don't know what these graphs are trying to prove?
Well maybe email is broken as I haven't gotten any messages.
Like the 1/4, fwiw I don't think high speed runs are a level playing field either.
Data correlating these runs and holy grail dynos would be necessary before I consider statements regarding their accuracy to evidence based.
Back to the task at hand, I'm still considering going to a map based engine. Glad I didn't go with Jean's 54trim compressors as I'm told the k24 turbines would have been overloaded.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:20 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
Like the 1/4, fwiw I don't think high speed runs are a level playing field either..
Brad
By "high speed runs" you mean 60-130mph ? If yes then "a level playing field" for what
The 60-130mph is for YOU -not anyone else. YOU are the one who knows what conditions you did the run in (climate/terrain/weight/octane) and it is for your benefit so you can gauge against all the other data here -It is not a competition but a tool for you to satisfy yourself that you got what you paid for.
Data correlating these runs and holy grail dynos would be necessary before I consider statements regarding their accuracy to evidence based.
Can you explain what you mean by this in simpler language -for me
Old 11-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Vince, check the torque curve of Jean's vs the sportec motor.
Brad, sorry if for some strange reason you did not get my email but I still do not understand your point, this thread is not related to my car but you post my dyno chart up there and compare vs. Sportec, disclose information about my turbos that I have not myself posted (albeit I don't have any secrets), and are trying to get a point across, I am not sure which one...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
foryorent
Intermediate

Any power numbers for this engine yet? Still working on it?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
foryorent
Intermediate

Any news yet? Spending all your time on the 996?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 322 Likes on 222 Posts

It's winter still, this is a project motor.. Yes, the 996 project is taking alll of my spare time.. Interesting little fact.. The 993TT perfected my Stage 2 turbochargers and all the data and system information that I learned from the 993TT spun over to the 996TT. I get to repay the 993TT platform with the favor with the Stage 3 system.. I get to perfect on the 996TT and bring it back to the 993TT... The MAF solution that was worked out with the 996TT will carry over to the 993TT.. We will also see a new tuning solution for the 993TT this coming year..

Which brings me to, if anyone has any spare '96 ECU's lying around. I'd like to purchase them from you.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:06 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Just a quick question on the Ti rods - are they really requiring measurement and inspection like AL rods would?

Quick Reply: The Ultimate quest for 8500 RPM engine build