Sponsored by:

Carbon Fibre Dash Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Carbon Fibre Dash Pictures

I thought you might like to see the driver information center in my new racecar. The car was built around the electronics which consist of a fully programmable MoTeC Advanced Data Logger (ADL) and an integrated MoTeC M800 ECU with CAN communications between the two. The ADL has a user customizable display which can be defined to show any channel that is logged or generated by the ECU or the ADL. I had completed the steering wheel a few months ago which integrates the most used buttons and switches on the CF panel. The ADL will serve serve a number of functions.

1) This is the only gauge in the car. It replaces ALL other gauges.
2) It is a CAN device and will communicate with the other CAN devices in the car such as the ECU, lap beacon, tire pressure/temp sensors, and any other CAN device that is installed.
3) It has 50 built in input/output channels which will be used for things like brake pressure, shock position, fuel level, oil level, gearbox temp, g-force, steering angle, trans cooler pump, etc.
4) It is fully programmable for the display and pages, input/output functions, warning alarms. It has a highly sophisticated math functions and you can generate your own channels and use them in the programming.
5) It has 8mb of memory for logging channels from devices attached to the ADL or from CAN devices such as the ECU.
6) It will run the shift light "Christmas tree" which is mounted above the dash. This will light the outside 2 lights (green), then the next pair (yellow), then the next pair (yellow), and finally the middle three (red) and are programmed based on engine and gear. With the new Version 3 software, the ECU can also be programmed for a different rev limits based on gear.
7) Although I'll not use it, this dash has the telemetry option which allows pitside communication with the car in real time.

The ECU has 2 rotoray switches that allow for the selectin of 1 of 4 programming maps in the ECU which is a new feature of the Version 3 software currently in beta. So you can have a Rain map, muffled map, unmuffled map, 100 octane map, etc. The second switch is a trim switch which can be configured for boost control, traction control slip, ignition timing, fuel, etc. The ECU is also integrated into the ABS system and has traction control. Both can be turned on or off by the red buttons.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Peter S 993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice! I do however prefer my old steam gagues, although I know - they don't respond as fast, aren't as accurate or handle as much info as the info center. Hey - do you ever take it to LimeRock? I try to go when my beast is on the road to see the ALMS cars run.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bet you even can play Tetris on it, if the straights get too boring..

Geoffrey, it looks fabulous.
Very neat integrated indeed. Questions are already popping up.

Does the car have power steering?
Is it a sprint or endurance car?
When you tossed out all the old gauges, panel left overs, any idea how much weight you lost there?
Is the CAN able to hook up on radio-lan?

Last edited by Rassel; 02-01-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Very nice Geoffrey. I have the same custom CF dashboard for my datalogger only I have not decided to install it yet. I was also getting that same dashboard CF upper cover from FVD however was worried about sunlight reflection, which in this country is very bright 364 days a year.
Nice cockpit!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I do get to Lime Rock quite often, although I don't know if I'll get there this year with the car since it is unmuffled and they have a low DB limit.

The car currently has a RS America rack in it, but I do have a power steering rack and an electric power steering pump to install. I need to build a PWM controller though so I can have the power steering turn on with 2-12 volts depending on the vehicle speed and the steering angle. This will make it work only when required.

I'm not sure of the weight saved from just the gauges, but probably not much, maybe 5 pounds over the MoTeC setup. The wiring harness alone weighs over 55lbs and my new one will be less than 10lbs since it is using much smaller lighter aircraft specification wire.

You can install a telemetry radio on the CAN bus for communication with equipment outside the car if that is what you are asking.

The car would be considered to be in endurance trim moreso than sprint trim and will run 93 octane street fuel.

Jean, it probably isn't the same dashboard since mine started out as a .020" autoclaved carbon fibre sheet from which I cut out the various pieces. The dash cap is from GT Racing.

Last edited by Geoffrey; 02-01-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I do get to Lime Rock quite often, although I don't know if I'll get there this year with the car since it is unmuffled and they have a low DB limit.

The car currently has a RS America rack in it, but I do have a power steering rack and an electric power steering pump to install. I need to build a PWM controller though so I can have the power steering turn on with 2-12 volts depending on the vehicle speed and the steering angle. This will make it work only when required.

I'm not sure of the weight saved from just the gauges, but probably not much, maybe 5 pounds over the MoTeC setup. The wiring harness alone weighs over 55lbs and my new one will be less than 10lbs since it is using much smaller lighter aircraft specification wire.

You can install a telemetry radio on the CAN bus for communication with equipment outside the car if that is what you are asking.

The car would be considered to be in endurance trim moreso than sprint trim and will run 93 octane street fuel.

Jean, it probably isn't the same dashboard since mine started out as a .020" autoclaved carbon fibre sheet from which I cut out the various pieces. The dash cap is from GT Racing.
Very neat indeed. The actual data size isn't really that much, however depending on the update frequency on the Motec and if it stores all input it should be quite a lot in an endurance race. Reason for wireless, if you store the data in the memory bank and do lets say a 8 hour endurance race. Will the 8mb be sufficient for the amount of data?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The 8mb of memory is sufficient for anything I'll be doing. With all of the channels I'm logging, I have 2hrs of log time. This includes the 4 shock position sensors which are logged at 100hz or 100 times per second. Other channels like oil temp and trans temp are logged at 1hz to save memory space. MoTeC sells a Vehicle PC or VPC which has a much higher memory capacity and is a CAN device, so if I wanted to, I could expand the system in terms of memory and/or I/O channels.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:30 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoffrey:
Off topic, did you ever sell your red baby? That was hot!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The car was parted out and sold. Apparently it was worth more as parts and a complete car.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My god that is sweet! I wish Sherman would have bought your red car so I could have driven it up here........but oh well........m

Quick Reply: Carbon Fibre Dash Pictures